• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Documents Opening in Reader instead of Acrobat Pro

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to be able to open PDF's automatically in Acrobat Pro so I can edit them. I set the default PDF document opener as Acrobat but it only opens in Reader. I checked my Adobe Cloud app to see if maybe I didn't download the Pro version, but it says that it is. The only way I can edit documents is if I go to the online version. This is in Windows 10 Version 22H2.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Finally I fixed it just uninstalling the Adobe and reinstalling it again

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please describe in more detail what steps did you followed to set Adobe Acrobat Pro as your default PDF handler.

Also, is this happening even if you're signed in with your Adobe ID?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I go into my computer's "Default apps" settings and set opening a pdf file as "Adobe Acrobat DC". And yes, I am always signed in with my Adobe ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering if this is happening on a 64bit version of Acrobat.

But anyway, if that method is not working, try right-click on any PDF file icon and select Properties from the context menu.

In the General tab it should display the program's name, where it says "Opens with:",  it should say Adobe Acrobat DC.

If it shows Adobe Acrobat Reader DC or Microsoft Edge (or any other web browser), Cklick on the button "Change"

From the list of programs  that will pop in a new dialogue window, select Adobe Acrobat DC.

If you've already done this too or everything seems correct, then look in the General tab below, where it says "Security".

If the tickbox "Unblock" is unchecked make surr to check it and click OK to commit changes...see if this works.

The other idea I can think of is to got to the installation folder of Adobe Acrobat, and find Acrobat.exe.

Right-ckick on it to open the context menu and select  Properties.

If you go to the "Security" tab, see what permissions are set for the group Users, which is the group that your current user account belongs to.

Clicking on Advanced button will give you extra options to modify special permissions.

If the Users group object doesn't have full permission you may need to disable the currently enforced permissions inheritance and give your account Full Control just like the Windows built-in Administrator account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might have a similar problem and even if I choose Adobe Pro with the right-click it always brings me to the Reader.
It doesn't give me the option not even to combine PDFs together.
Some help would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In that case, I forgot to clarify that, when you use "Open with", there is a tick box at the bottom left corner of the dialogue window: "Always use this app to open files "

Tick the check box to ensure that the selected default app won't reverse to another program.

Screenshot_20230213_124104_Epic.png

 

Also, if you've upgraded or installed a newer version update of Adobe Acrobat Pro, both Adobe Reader and Acrobat Pro are combined into a single product.

To check if this is your issue, sign in with your Adobe ID when you are on Adobe Reader (must be done with Internet access).

Once you are signed in, the subscription activation will unlock Adobe Acrobat Pro and you'll be able to use the editing tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thanks for this but it's not the issue I'm having as I can find the Adobe Pro at all in my Creative Cloud.

Any idea on what could be the reason?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. What creative cloud plan are you paying for?

2. Exactly what operating system version are you using? Please let us know if you need help finding out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Window 10 Pro 64-bit. 

Not entirly sure about the plan the company is paying for this is the screenshot of the desktop when I open the Cloud

Erica283895136zwl_0-1676451396011.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Acrobat is there, installed and being paid for.

The name is confusing: Adobe seem to be in the process of changing it. Acrobat (in this screen) is Acrobat Pro.

When you start Acrobat directly from this screen, do you get the options you are looking for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nope, unfrtunately when I open from there it opens always the Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please show a screen shot of Reader? Probably showing the TOOLS panel is best; be sure to include the title bar (at the top of the Reader window).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see below

Erica283895136zwl_0-1676455311448.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you sign in yet from Adobe Reader with your Adobe ID account ( the  credentials that are currently associated with your Adobe Acrobat Pro subscription plan) ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm already signed in. In fact he brings me to the Reader even though 'I try to access from the Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting!

I am thinking if the problem is related to which of the two programs is the default PDF handler in your Windows environment.

You can try and test, by going to your Documents folder and  right-click on any PDF document =>  select "Opens with..." from the next context menu.

A list of programs or Windows apps will pop up.

Verify if Adobe Reader or Microsoft Edge web browser are the default PDF handler.

If any of those two programs are the default PDF handler, select from that context menu "Choose another app".

From the next pop up list of apps, select "Adobe Acrobat DC" and note on the bottom left corner that there is an unchecked tick box: "Always use this app to open .pdf files".

Tick or check that tick box before you click on the OK button to commit changes and make it permanent.

If you miss this step Windows will revert ro handling the default app to view and handle pdf documents.

Ti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally I fixed it just uninstalling the Adobe and reinstalling it again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good deal @Erica283895136zwl !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I had the same issue, uninstalling and reinstalling Acrobat Pro via Creative Cloud Desktop solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for confirming and updating the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines