Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF file won't open with double click

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OSX 10.6.8/Acrobat 10.1.3.

Suddenly pdf files won't open with a double click, I now have to open Acrobat and file>open.

Also, once they're open, they won't close by clicking the red close dot, I now have to go to file>close.

Very frustrating!

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Sounds like they lost their Open With association.

Select a pdf, cmd+i to bring up info.

Within that dialog, their should be an Open With (Open all & open this file)

But the close anomaly suggests Repairing the Installation (Done within Acrobat)

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I had the same problem with Adobe on my Windows 10 PC.  Now it works! Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac: Window > Cascade worked for me as well. If you close it now in that state, it won't happen any more. Thank you for posting this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had exactly this with Acrobat X which I prefer. I could no longer drag a PDF on top of the dock icon to open. Double clicking launched Acrobat X but didn't open the document. File>Open worked. Clicking the X to close didn't. File Close though closed it. Installed the demo of Acrobat DC. All is fine.

Suppose I'll have to find my original Acrobat X but that was a while back.

The cascade trick didn't change anything for Acrobat X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2017 Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This answer ("Select a pdf, cmd+i to bring up info. Within that dialog, their should be an Open With (Open all & open this file") absolutely DOES NOT work!!!  Adobe Reader is set as the default app to open pdfs.  This is a real problem that just started yesterday after working just fine for as long as I've ever used Adobe Acrobat - Please Adobe get your act together and tell us how to solve this problem - your solution is not the answer.

Operating System:  Mac OSx 10.12.6

Adobe Acrobat 2017.012.20098

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently started happening to me as well: Acrobat DC Build: 18.11.20035.264580, Mac OS X 10.12.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as of 06.18.18 none of my PDFs open on Acrobat DC... wtf Adobe???? don't see see all these ^^^^^ comments????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disable preview pane in windows explorer, change to detail pane and the issue should go away. Windows 10 this works anyways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suddenly started having the same problem.  Realized the only thing I changed was my mouse pointer speed.  I slowed it down and double clicking an attachment from Outlook worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This has been frustrating, but after many trys the following worked for me because I have two versions on my computer Acrobat DC and just Reader DC.  

I right clicked, scrolled dow to properties and under general selected change under opens with. Selected Acrobat DC and now it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines