• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove executable code from PDF

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I have a series of pdf files that I need a way to figure out if there is executable code inside the files.  Do you know of a good method to do this on a batch level?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Preflight tool or the PDF Optimiser (Save as Other).

Acrobat_kW0JY9Nfho.pngAcrobat_cUYcG28fRR.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm the pdf is still being rejected.  Is there a way to extract the contents that show the code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what reason is being give by whom for the file being rejected?

JavaScript isn't the only possibility here. Perhaps whatever is examining the PDF file is looking for any embedded attached files. You can get rid of those via the optimizer as follows:

2020-06-12_11-46-25.png

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Docments with executable code is not permitted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly who or what is claiming that you still have executable code in your PDF file? Apparently, executable code can mean any number of things to different persons or tools.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a court system. So the best way to i think is editing or removing the executable or what they define executable code using vbs but i won't go down that route unless i can't do it from the UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The entire thing is pointless unless you know what they mean by "executable code". It's obviously not what we mean, or the methods described above would have taken care of it already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But wouldn't there be a static piece of content that i can parse out from a batch process? executable code must be limited to links, headers info. Something i just can't be my finger on it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming "executable code" means "JavaScript code" it can be located at the doc-, field-, page-, bookmark- and link-levels, and in multiple locations under each one. But the Preflight action mentioned above will remove all of those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the fix. The windows don't look exactly like this in Acrobat DC, but I was able to go into the Preflight and get rid of the java script, which did the trick for uploading to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals' ECF system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same issue as the OP but in a different jurisdiction on the same court filing system (SDNY, NextGen ECF).  I've tried all of the above suggestions but the court filing system rejecting it still says it "contains code which may cause an external action (such as launching an application)"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines