• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WHERE ARE THE SCROLL BARS?!!

Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'VE SPENT A HALF HOUR NOW, ON A TIGHT DEADLINE, TRYING TO FIND THE VERTICAL SCROLL NBARS IN THE NEW ACROBAT PRO CONTINUOUS RELEASE VERSIOJN 2023.  WHY DO YOU HAVE TO DO THIS TO US?  THE WEB IS FULL OF PEOPLE TRYING TO FIND THESE SCROLL BARS!  I'VE GOT A 230 PAGE PDF TO EDIT AND I'M HAVING TO USE THE UP & DOWN ARROWS TO MOVE ONE PAGE AT A TIME!

WHERE ARE THE SCROLL BARS?!!  [Repeated text removed]

TOPICS
Modern Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

2020 VERSION IS HEREhttps://helpx.adobe.com/ca/download-install/kb/acrobat-2020-downloads.html

Install it (it asks for a serial number; I chose "trial version yada yada" and when it asked again on startup I choose "use my username" or something like that), then

> choose a PDF in Finder (Mac),

> Right-click and choose "Open with" and choose the 2020 version (for me it appears with a black icon)

> make sure it works (it does for me)

> Go back to Finder, and on any PDF

> Right-cli

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Hi All

The issue has been addressed with the new version of Acrobat (23.08.20555) and now we have a preference to enable the scroll bar in Mac.
Please find details for the fix here:- https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/scroll-framework-upgrade-macos.html

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 112 Replies 112
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@saltwatertrout , I found this in one of the other support communities:

• Horizontal scrolling: Users with a scroll-enabled mouse can achieve horizontal scrolling by pressing Shift + scrolling the mouse wheel.

It's 100% NOT AS GOOD AS HAVING PERMANENT SCROLL BARS, but it's better than nothing.

Some people have also mentioned that, on the Mac, you *might* be able to go back to the old layout by choosing "Disable New Acrobat" (or something quite similar) from the View menu. (On Windows, there's something from the hamburger menu, I think.) I actually don't have that option, because I think my organization's settings override my personal settings, but it might work for you. Good luck. I spend upwards of 8 hours a day simply scrolling in PDFs while I edit them, so ... yeah.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some people have also mentioned that, on the Mac, you *might* be able to go back to the old layout ...

By @Patty Love

You are correct Patty,

From Help: To disable the new experience,

• Windows: Click the hamburger menu (3 lines ) at the upper left corner and choose Disable new Acrobat.
  • macOS: Go to View > Disable new Acrobat.

https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/acrobat/using/new-acrobat-experience.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see the "Disable new Acrobat" option in the View menu for macOS. I have seen this answer given multiple times, but the option is not there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kvn123 

Show a screenshot of your interface. Several others have reported the same, but so far none have been in the New Experience and that has been the reason they could not disable it. Your situation may be different.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really sure how to show the absence of something in a screenshot, but here you go ... 

kvn123_1-1696244852934.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have that option either. I do think I saw that option a few days ago but nothing now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see the "Disable new Acrobat" option in the View menu for macOS

By @kvn123

@kvn123 and @Jocelyn-Suzanne 

You don't need to show your View menu. I believe you when you said it is not there. I asked for the Interface — all of Acrobat from the very top to bottom and from left to right.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kvn123_0-1696265379888.png

As everyone says, the scroll bar does appear when I use a mouse or trackpad to click near the right-hand side - but this does not work with a Wacom pen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kvn123 This is the previous interface, and this is what I see on your screen. You do not have the New Experience.

janee_0-1696268598628.png

This is the "New Experience" interface

Note that your tools are on the right; in the "NE" they are on the left. The panes for Bookmarks, Pages, and Attachments are on the right.

janee_1-1696268679686.png

Thankfully, I can choose Disable now that I've checked for you — I wasn't sure that I could! 😊

janee_2-1696269169900.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kvn123 

My scroll bars are showing no matter what I do, but try these three things:

• File > Properties > Initial View > Use Interface Options
    Confirm Hide Window Controls is unchecked
    janee_3-1696269740604.png

• In Acrobat menu > Preferences > General > Confirm Touch Mode is set to Never
    janee_4-1696269849888.png

• In macOS > Apple menu > Preferences > General > Select the option to show the scroll bars always.
    janee_5-1696270117588.png

Note that in the newest versions of macOS, Preferences is now System Settings, and some dialogs have changed. Use Spotlight to assist if needed.

janee_6-1696270326244.png

Do any of these three help?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked all of those settings, and they are as you recommend, but no luck with the scroll bars. I always have my macOS System settings/Appearance/Show scroll bars setting to "Always".

This thread is not about "New Experience" - it is about missing scroll bars in the September 2023 release, but some users were hoping that "Disable new Acrobat" could bring back the taskbars. Thanks for your efforts. I think you need to try what this feels like if you are a Wacom tablet user and see how cumbersome it is that you need to use a mouse or trackpad to show the scrollbar. 

I would like to know what Adobe is going to do to fix this issue - other than hoping we'll love it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is not about "New Experience" - it is about missing scroll bars in the September 2023 release

By @kvn123

Hi

Apologies for that, I kept seeing references to the New Experience, including the reply to the very first post.

This is a user forum with occasional input from staff. The Acrobat team uses a separate website for Bugs and Ideas called UserVoice and so this issue should be reported there for staff to see and others to comment and Upvote: 

https://acrobat.uservoice.com/

Once it's reported, a link can also be put in this thread so others can follow it to comment and upvote.

Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are quite a few reports on this bug in https://acrobat.uservoice.com/. How do we know if Acrobat is going to respond to this issue at all? It is such an annoying experience that I will have to change to a different program if it isn't fixed. How ridiculous is it not to be able to scroll through a PDF with a pen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally a solution. thank you! I was ready to stop my subscription to acrobat just because of this lost feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I hope Adobe will just add the scroll bars back, this is not an improvement.  It is a waste of time.

@Adobe do you beta and do user group testing for these types of changes? I would imagine most users do not want an unexpected change that doesnt enhance useability. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ironically the comment preview window has a lovely scroll bar on the right, but of course only if you type enough characters to warrant it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I AGREE SO MUCH! I'm screaming. Why [cursing removed] do we have to deal with this in our workflow. Like Adobe thinks coming up with removing something as standard as a friggin scroll bar is "fun" for some engineer when it literally is holding up my workflow I have used like every day since day 1. So tired of this! I can't even understand the point. Removing scrollbars and pushing AI on creatives is making me wonder if they ever noticed or cared how dedicated I've been to this company for almost 30 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This new 'feature' has greatly reduced my productivity in Acrobat. I spend a lot of time scrolling through PDFs and now it's a real hassle. Please allow scroll bars to be visible at all times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any solution to this problem? I feel that this was not tested for Wacom tablets - the scroll bar requires using the trackpad (Macbook Pro), while I need to use my Wacom pen to drag the scroll bar. It requires some finger "acrobatics" to get this right, and is very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same issue a few months ago in June 2023 on my Mac. The solution at the time was this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/downgrading-to-older-version-of-adobe-acrobat-pro...

However Adobe must have updated Acrobat since then because this solution no longer works. "Disable New Acrobat" no longer appears in the View menu or can be found using the Help menu. Why they do this I don't understand.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This scrolling issue is relentlessly irritating. Are Adobe now intentionally going to bug the older version of Acrobat until users relent snd accept the awful new GUI? It won't work. I've lived and loved this companies apps for 25 years and suddenly I'm anxious every day at what they're planning to do with my workflow. Awful. Love has turned to absolute disdain and a long long term user looking at alternatives. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please vote for the issue here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should enter the link to this request, not only to the Acrobat uservoice: https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/47319947-scroll-...

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does this thread have an accepted answer? It is quite clear that most of the respondents here find that the suggested answer doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the suggestions are working for me. (MacOS Big Sur, MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013, Acrobat Pro Build: 23.6.20320.0). The closest I've come to a solution is to scroll using the option/alt key with the up/down arrow keys. Not as efficient or convenient as grabbing an always-visible scrollbar with a mouse, but until Adobe corrects this horrible mistake, it's the only workaround I can offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines