• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why am I getting an error message when trying to combine files into one PDF file?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select multiple PDF files and try to combine them into one document, I get a message that "Adobe Acrobat has encountered and unidentified error" and no file is being created. This problem has only recently started as I have been able to merged documents in the past.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

The problem was not software related.

The files I was trying to merge into a single PDF file were stored in a shared folder on an internal server. These files would not merged into a single PDF. Our working files have always been stored on a server, but only recently have started being a problem merging into a single PDF.

When I copy these files back to the the computer I am using, they merged just fine using Acrobat DC.

Thanks for your help ...

Les

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

ONE QUICK EASY SOLUTION HERE, THANKS ME LATER

Sekect the following in Options

Pablo3307757882fo_0-1697906855457.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat version? OS version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat DC ... I'm using the Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 ... sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Does this problem happen with specific files? Try narrowing it down. Merge only two files and see if it works.

Does it work if you attempt to merge the files from within Acrobat (via File - Create - Combines files into a single PDF)? etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried merging various number of documents and have received the same error message. All merged documents have been created using Acrobat DC (via File - Create - Combines files into a single PDF).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run a Repair Installation from the Help menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran the Repair Installation from the Acrobat Help menu ... it did not correct the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem was not software related.

The files I was trying to merge into a single PDF file were stored in a shared folder on an internal server. These files would not merged into a single PDF. Our working files have always been stored on a server, but only recently have started being a problem merging into a single PDF.

When I copy these files back to the the computer I am using, they merged just fine using Acrobat DC.

Thanks for your help ...

Les

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running into a similar problem and believe I have narrowed it down to the length of the file path.  It is not maxing out the OS file path length.  193 character file path will bomb, yet a file in the same location very similar file name except slight shorter, approximately 160 characters, will load combine without error.  Is your issue possibly length of file path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved my problem - thankyou.  Renamed file with shorter name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have come to the same conclusion. Though why all of a sudden I'm no longer able to merge files stored on a server, I don't know.

Is there a work around for having Acrobat DC go back to being able to combine files that are hosted on a server?

*(I can open the first file and add them in with the organise pages feature)

I use this feature contantly and don't love the idea of having to move all files I merge from the server to my local machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought Adobe Acrobat and installed it on my Mac. I tried to combine files and I got an error message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does it say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Markb,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, as per the description above, you are not able to combine PDF files on Mac machine using Acrobat Pro DC, is that correct?

I have checked the records with your current Adobe ID(email) which you have used to sign-in on Adobe forums and found that the subscription of Acrobat Pro DC is canceled and inactive.

You can also check the details of your plan through Adobe.com>Manage Account>Plans and Products, or you can also refer to the Adobe article Manage your Creative Cloud membership

This is the reason you are getting the error message while combining any PDF files as you don't have any active subscription/license if Acrobat. To access the services, you have to subscribe to Acrobat license/subscription.

For plans and pricing, you can refer to Plans and pricing | Adobe Acrobat DC You can also contact Adobe support for the plans and pricing and to place a new order Contact Customer Care

Feel free to update this discussion for any further assistance.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2019 Feb 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and I use a Mac but we are current on our subscription. This is what keeps coming up:Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 9.07.02 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have narrowed the problem ... I usually create PDF files using the "host" program Illustrator CC. These files will not merged.

I opened the Illustrator files using Acrobat DC and created PDF files ... these files will merge properly.

It must be a problem in the default PDF setting in Illustrator maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started getting this error message yesterday

- i have full CC subscription

- i updated to OS Catalina i think about 2 weeks ago and it was working fine then

- there shouldnt be a file name length error as i tried it with the files on the desktop but still got an error

- i was able to create a PDF by creating another PDF with the files that didnt combine and then combining both together but i dont want to have to do that all the time

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 9.25.49 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing an error when trying to combine files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have an entire team that has the same problem.  Windows 10 - fully patched - new Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, trying to combine Word files, local and network, no difference where they are located.  Makes no difference the size.  We use Office 365 Premium.  All machines are managed by upstream corporation with no ability to disable updates.

There are a few sporadic installs on older PCs with Adobe Pro X that are still able to merge the exact same files from their native network location.  It's just anyone with newer PCs and Office installations that are unable to do so.

Any word from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try this we have windows 7 devices with office 2010 - worked for me

Error: No PDF file was created because Adobe Acrobat encountered an unidentified error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having a similar issue.  User tries to combine 10 word documents (Office 2016) in Adobe Pro 2017 on a windows 10 PC.  The first five documents string together and then stops on document 6 and gives error - no application found to open the document.  We resaved the document with a different name, copied the material and saved as new doc with 2 added to the name, converted to pdf - uninstalled Adobe and reinstalled, checked for updates, repaired office.  When using the pdf version to combine the file get error encountered when combining the file message.  The files are saved on a NAS storage device - the user emailed me the files, I saved them to my desktop and the combined with no issue.

We are also seeing an issue for this user when combining files that all seems to combine fine but then when you open the pdf pages are missing or text from one page is missing and a graph shows up on the other half of the page.  These are all combined using documents that were converted to pdf first from powerpoint or excel and look fine - then drop the information when combined.  It is impossible to be able to go back through a 300 page document to make sure every page converted properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I was having this same mystery problem. I was trying to combine ~250 .jpg files into a PDF. It would get to image 130 or so and then start throwing errors. The workaround I used was to make 3 separate PDF's, max of 100 images each (the number might change, I suspect due to available memory?). I then combined those three PDF's with no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2019 Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply

I too am able to do that but it makes my workflow slow in having to do that.

We dont pay Adobe the big $$$ for our subscriptions to have to do that.

Its like buying a car that only has 3 wheels. impractical! 😞 

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines