• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 10 File Explorer operations very slow with PDF files

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a reasonably high spec PC running Windows 10, all up to date, and I have an Adobe CC subscription. I also have PDF thumbnails turned on for Explorer (which I need).

Any time I try to Move or Rename a file in Explorer, it takes an AGE, sometimes it just hangs (as it has just done trying to rename a PDF). Moving just a very simple small file (<500kb) into a subfolder can cause Explorer to 'gather information for ages, with a silly graph showing how little it is doing!

Other file types move with ease - this is PDF specific.

I also find opening a file by double clicking it in Explorer (or using the context menu) can take forever, again, even for small files.

I've tried uninstalling Acrobat / Reinstalling / disabling Thumbnail preview etc. No joy so far.

Very frustrating.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - that's really bizarre.  Just to test it here, I enabled the feature, and Acrobat actually did a mini install routine in order to have this feature active.  But mine is working properly.  I have noticed that Windows 10 has had quite a few updates/patches recently.  Did this ever work properly on that machine before?  Or has it always been a problem?  If I can uncover any info on this, I'll post back.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the long delay in my response. The pandemic took focus! Now working from home but on my relocated work computer.

This issue persists. I attemped to move a 2Mb PDF file into a subfolder today. It took 4 minutes!  Even using Cut-Paste its the same. Renaming can be equally slow.

I am working on Dropbox folders generally, so I tried Quitting Dropbox to see what happened and there might be a marginal improvement without it running. File operations are still very slow, but perhaps Dropbox is involved in some way. Odd that it doesn't affect DWG, JPG, PNG or PSD files etc. which I use a lot.

Also, if I use a Batch Renaming program for renaming a bunch of files, it will rename them instantly, while using F2 in explorer, or clicking on the filename to rename it, may take AGES.

It is, as you say, a little weird.  I did Google the issue, and I am not the only one it seems, but I have never found a solution. I'll post on the Dropbox forums too just in case.

cheers,

Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you use a other file manager?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Explorer++, and it did seem quicker than Explorer - particularly for renaming files in situ, but when moving files the same old graph window showing you just how slowly everything was happening appeared. (This progress window was identical to the one Explorer shows, which makes me wonder if Explorer++ is in fact using Explorer behind the scenes so to speak).

Anyway I got sufficiently fed up to completely uninstall Acrobat CC from my system. Rebooted and manipulating files in Explorer then happened instantly. No sign of the Explorer 'gathering information' or progress window, the files just moved.

I then re-installed Acrobat, and for the moment I still have fast file handling in Explorer. Preview generation seems much faster too. I did notice when I went to uninstall Acrobat, that it was listed in Add/Remove Programs at 9GB!  Having re-installed it is now 2.5GB.  Perhaps it was corrupted?

Hopefully it is fixed now.  Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS WORKED!!! I uninstalled (Acrobat was taking up 6.75 Gig, everything else, even Photoshop was under 2G). Reinstalled, and the new Acrobat looks like it is in sync with the rest of my Creative Cloud apps. For example, I've been running in dark mode to help my eyes, but Acrobat still had a white background. When I reinstalled, it is now dark like everything else, and only 2G. So far, preview and opening pdfs are lightning fast. Hope it stays this way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have had the same problem for over a year now (since getting a new laptop). Sometimes worse and sometimes not so bad.

I've cursed the file explorer and tried all the fixes I've found online. Today opening a folder with 40 pdf files took 10 minutes and I was ready to throw my laptop from the window... But instead I found this thread and now I'm hopeful.

I am using the free Adobe Reader and it wasn't huge. But I still uninstalled it and reinstalled it.

At the moment it is looking good. The folder with 40 pdf files opened in a second and when I transferred a few files to another folder it happened instantly (tranferring a 1MB pdf file sometimes took minutes).

If it starts again, I'll know the problem is adobe (and updates).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for mentioning this. I have the EXACT same problem. Maybe my situation will help narrow things down, too.

I noticed this happening the INSTANT I upgraded to Windows 10. I've been running Adobe CC for quite some time - its my job, I am the Director of Design and Product Development for my virutal company. We use Dropbox exclusively, and of course Adobe for the design software. I have a solid state harddrive, running Office 2019, and am pretty tech savvy. But this is getting worse by the day. 

Same with me, it takes AGES to move, rename, or even OPEN the pdf. And the previewer pane never comes up. I am responsible for a massive library of products, and having to open every single pdf to make sure I have the right one is the absolute pits. I've asked this question in the Adobe forum, and while several people have responded, no one seems to have a fix. 

It feels to me like Windows Explorer (File Explorer now, I guess) and Adobe Acrobat just dont' want to play well in the sandbox. And it is JUST Acrobat - Illustrator, Indesign, and Photoshop do not have the same problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue:

Using ADOBE CC DC 

Windows 10 Explorer

Dropbox

So I am going to try uninstall and restall of adobe acrobat and see if I get any improvements!  Fingers crossed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar issue here.  File Explorer starts taking tens of seconds for simple operations like moving or renaming PDFs regardless of size. I get the same graph showing calculating with no prgress for several seconds, until after the unacceptable delay, it starts ans completes in the time you would normally expect the action to complete.  After a day or two, the preview pane and thumbnail previews stop working for PDFs.  Sometimes restarting File Explorer or otrher times restarting the whole compurter helps for a little while.  I tried  uninstalling and reinstallinig Adobe Acrobat DC.  After less than a day, the same issues reccur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a gaming laptop but copying 50kB pdf files take ages. The way I found today to solve it is turning off preview pane in windows explorer (ALT+P buttons) before moving or renaming pdf files.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Farzan5C68,

thanks for your contribution here. I've heard of this same 'solution' at our office but I simply cannot accept this as the final answer. I believe there rests some (read: a lot of) responsability with Adobe to fix this issue that apparently affects a lot of users.

I've run into this issue for almost 18 months now and my go-to workaround is rebooting my workstation and then continue doing what I was doing. This usually helps. Sometimes for days, sometimes for just half an hour.

@KeithSWD , I suspect you run some Autodesk software too. Given the fact that you mention DWG files and batch renaming. I believe there might be some correlation between this issue and the combination Autodesk - Adobe too but haven't found the significant trigger jet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well I echo all that. Got Windows 11 was OK on 10. All same issues as described here. Uninstalled / reinstalled Acrobat - no change. As that took so long I'm reluctant to do same for CC. But anyone found that works? Or what about switching to Microsoft's pdf product?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines