• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat failed to connect to DDE Server

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a user who is unable to open any PDF's using Acrobat Reader X he has the latest version and is using Wind

ows XP SP3.  When he tries to open any PDF he gets the error "Acrobat failed to connect to

DDE Server" any help with this is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 10, 2011 May 10, 2011

Thanks David,

I did check the file associations and did a repair and uninstall/re-install and nothing worked but it turned out to be an issue with turning on a security policy in Symantec Endpoint that was causing Adobe to not open so I had to remove that policy in order for Adobe to work again.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate
May 09, 2011 May 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day Chris,

I'm not sure if you're having diffuculty w/ Acrobat or w/ Reader.  Regardless, this issue is most commonly related to file associations.

As the user to do the following:

1. Locate a PDF on the system via Search (any PDF will do)
  2. Hold down the Shift key and right-click the PDF file > Select 'Open with..'
  3. Select either Acrobat or Adobe Reader (depending on which application is actually installed)
  4. Check the box at the bottom of the dialog box that says 'Always open with..'

If the issue persists after trying this, repair Acrobat or Reader.  This can be done via the Help > Repair menu option.

Regards,
David
Acrobat Community Manager
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2011 May 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David,

I did check the file associations and did a repair and uninstall/re-install and nothing worked but it turned out to be an issue with turning on a security policy in Symantec Endpoint that was causing Adobe to not open so I had to remove that policy in order for Adobe to work again.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 10, 2011 May 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Thanks for letting us know that it's working properly now!  Glad to know the solution.

Thanks,

David

Acrobat Community Manager

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Opening a pdf inside a browser doesn't work. Opening a pdf either in Acrobat Reader X or Acrobat 9 Pro. Sometimes a pdf opens after more than 5 min! But even than Acrobat freezes, the top showing "File", "Edit" etc. disapears!  I uninstalled any security programs with firewalls; no changes. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesnt work. Making pdf's with any software is no problem. I use Windows XP running Adobe CS4. Any help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2011 Aug 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Are you able to remember what to do with your Endpoint Protection?

I'm having exactly the same problem. Perhabs a central exeption would solve this problem?

Regards

Florian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2011 Sep 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turned out to be a policy

in the Symantec Endpoint Secrutiy I think I had tried turning on the NAC and it caused the issue so when I turned the policy off the user was able to open the pdf's again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 08, 2011 Sep 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader function returned after rebooting - but it came up slowly. Now I'm worried. I've been using Windows 7 for a year with Spyware Doctor without problems. I haven't done anything to the machine and I haven't installed anything new for months.

Where did this "Acrobat failed to connect to DDE Server" spring from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2011 Dec 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just today begun having the same problem. Adobe Reader X on Win 7 pro 64bit SP1

Can't be Symantec. I use MS Essentials security.

Can't make any changes via Adobe Reader, either, because it won't open -- even when I try to launch directly from the target EXE file.

This is making a LOT of PDFs unreadable and I am not happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just want to read PDFs, try installing a PDF reader like Nitro PDF Reader or Foxit Reader. Both of these read PDF files. Just google their names.

I got the same error using Acrobat Pro 9. I can't figure out why Acrobat needs to connect to a DDE server.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2015 Feb 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon,

I hope all is well. My organization is running into the same issue with us trying to open .pdfs and getting the "Acrobat failed to connect to a DDE server" error message. Our issue is occurring with us using our vendor applications and trying to open the .pdf within that application. We use a Windows 7, 64-bit environment. We also use IE9 and adobe acrobat version 10.1.13. Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated as this is affecting one of our bigger departments and I have troubleshooted the best I could with no good results.

Thanks,

Kendrick Jones

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

windows 7 download

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 04, 2011 Sep 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started to get  the same problem today.

I tried the <shift> "open with..." Doesn't work.

I think Adobe should provide an answer immediately. Most of my files are in Acrobat!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, artanksame issues here. I did repair install, and it still can not open a PDF file.  I use Adobe Acrobat XI Pro. It show an error message as " Adobe failed to connect to a DDE server". Even Adobe "LiveCycle Designer ES4 has the same error message. they all works good before.  The DDE server causes many adobe PDF application not work.  Please help! I have many projects need to be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2015 Dec 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help with this as well.  Every time I update, this problem occurs.  I've used a plugin fix before but I can't find what I need online.  Why is this always a problem with updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2011 Sep 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling the NAC wasn't the solution for my DDE server error.

The adobe support hotline told me to have a look at the folder permissions. All looks like it should be at my servers.

Anybody else here having another idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got an Adobe upgrade and the problem has gone. What the...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was it just the usual upgrades that happen from time to time?  If so then good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whacky...I will have to try testing with Symantec policies again and see if there's anymore issues.  Thanks for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2011 Sep 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you peter. I also updated the terminal servers and will see what happens next week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the updates solve your problems?

I am also experiencing this on a terminal server,2k8r2. Both acrobat pro and acrobat reader have the latest updates. Reader is set at default for reading pdf files.

The problem occured after installing the latest updates in acrobat pro. There is no symantech or sophos security systems installed, even windows firewall is disabled.

Any sugestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem disappeared as soon as I loaded the latest (at the time) update.

I don’t use Symantec and Windows Defender was “OFF”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2011 Dec 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just today begun having the same problem. Adobe Reader X on Win 7 pro 64bit SP1

Can't be Symantec. I use MS Essentials security.

Can't make any changes via Adobe Reader, either, because it won't open -- even when I try to launch directly from the target EXE file.

This is making a LOT of PDFs unreadable and I am not happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just fixed this on a W2008R2 server.
Copied the files from a working profile to the profile that had a problem

Copied all the adobe acrobat stuff from c:\Users\[workinguser]\appdata\   to c:\users\[userwithproblem]\appdata.

They can now open PDFs without the problem.. Would think that on a workstation you ocould do the same so long as all the versions were the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines