• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader DC does not recognize my smart card reader.

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I attempt to apply a digital signature from a smart card, Acrobat Reader DC states "Adobe Acrobat could not find any new digital IDs. If your digital ID is on a hardware token, please make sure it is plugged in and the token interface is properly con

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Hi rogerm,

Please try the steps given in the following forum thread under post#3 in the following thread:

Digital Signature on Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

If issue still persists, I would suggest contacting the vendor of the device for this issue and see what they have to suggest.

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bbrady90,

Sorry for the delay in response.  

As per the issue description mentioned above, you are unable to sign pdf using smart card reader, is that correct?

Could you try attaching the PKCS11 interface by going into Edit > Preferences > Signatures....as suggested in the following forum and check if that helps:

Can't sign an .PDF document

You may also refer to the following forum threads discussing the similar issue:

Token not detected

Reader DC won't accept digital signature from smart card reader

Thanks,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same error on my MacBook - I used to be able to sign stuff.  but now I can't.  I tried the links above - but they're old and for a PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rogerm,

You can access PKCS#11 module setting by clicking Edit > Preferences > Signature > Identities &  Trusted Certificates > click More

Digital ID files > PKCS#11 modules > Attach module

Please find below the screenshot:

mac signature.png

Let us know if you need any help.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the reply, but There is no "preferences" option under "edit". I was able to find it under "Adobe Acrobat Reader" tab.  Followed the directions and now I'm left with a "Locate PKCS#11 Module" box - and it's asking for a "path".

I don't know what to enter for that.

Thanks for the reply

ps - I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Version 2019.0008.20080

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rogerm,

Please try the steps given in the following forum thread under post#3 in the following thread:

Digital Signature on Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

If issue still persists, I would suggest contacting the vendor of the device for this issue and see what they have to suggest.

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to sign a PDF document, but I am able to log into smart card enabled websites for work. The websites can see the reader - why can’t PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your path to “Preferences” doesn’t work. But I can find it by going to “Acrobat Reader - Preferences - etc” are you using a different version?

After following your advice it seems that Acrobat Reader DC is unable to see the reader. Normally I would look for drivers, check hardware and all of that - but I am able to log into websites that require a smart card. I can get to all of the websites related to my work, by using my smart card and associated reader.

Why can I log into websites and still be unable to sign a PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on a Windows machine the Preferences menu item is under the Edit menu... And thanks a lot to whoever decided this one crucial thing should be different on Windows compared to Mac!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Har! Agreed.

So what do you think about the reasons for the webpage access vs/ the PDF document signing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you figure out why? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Guys. I am using all new configs and software. I was able to sign docs on AAR-DC with my smartcard and reader. Out of the blue, it stoped working. deleted the app, renstalled it, but no cigar. It works on GOV sites and trusted signin ambient... i can see that DC sees the card B/C it is under "signatures" but when i try to sign it sais it does not fi d it. when i try to aadd it again, it gives me the message that it does not see any new signature...
How can i delete completly the data from DC and reinstall it clean? Will that take care of it? thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since my message, DC has been "thinking" since i tried to sign a document... "LGBTQRXZWD - + / x circle of death" turning nonstop... Also cannot delete the ID, there's no option for that on the DC for Mac...

When i pull the card reader out of the USB-C the app returns, but it doeds not let me add another ID not delete the old one...

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 09.29.12.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-24 at 09.33.16.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-24 at 09.33.36.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIXED IT... no thanks to Adobe support...

when you go to "preferences" and click on "Identities and Trusted Certificates"...

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 17.48.25.png

The next windows comes with the "MENU" options hidden like below:

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 17.47.42.png

you have to hover your mouse over the little gray (hard to see for it is the samee collor as the whole window) than, it becomes BLUE...

Draag the blue tab down to show the command options like below...

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 17.48.05.png

Now you can add, delete, etc!!!

since i could see my Ceertiticate there was merelly sign on the certificate...

GOOD LUCK!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh geez, this helped me find my certs. Talk about bad UX design: Non-standard grab icon, auto hiding every added certs, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MOVED TO THE ACROBAT READER FORUM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines