Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader is not using the Windows default mail app

Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default mail app on the computer is the Mail app from Windows itself.

I have no idea why in Acrobat Reader in the 'Edit > Preferences > Email accounts' it says 'Default mail application (Microsoft Outlook)'

In no way I can change it to use the Windows Mail app. I don't want it to open the PDF as an attachment in Outlook but in the Windows Mail app

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Share or review PDFs , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Hi there

The MS Mail application is not supported in Acrobat/Reader DC application. For more information about supported applications, please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/compatible-web-browsers-pdfmaker-applications.html#main_PDFMaker_compatible_applications

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nielsherbavita,

We are sorry for the trouble. As described, you are facing difficulty while changing the default mail application in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

Please try the steps provided in the help link (https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/add-or-change-your-default-email-address-in-adobe-acrobat-dc) and see if that works.

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I'm not facing difficulty changing the default mail application. My point is that Acrobat Reader says my default email application is Microsoft Outlook, while it is not. In the settings on my computer, I have Mail app set as the default mail application.

default mail app.png

However, Acrobat Reader says my default is Microsoft Outlook, which is obviously not correct. It should show Mail app as default mail application

default mail app acrobat.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Thank you for explaining the issue in more detail it makes it much easier to understand.

It is the design behavior. The default email client for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is set to Microsoft Outlook. To change the email client  from Outlook to default mail application of your system please refer to the steps shared in the video link earlier.

Let us know if you need more help

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not answer the question or address the problem. Under the "accounts" field, there is no option to select the default "Windows Mail" client. Adobe Acrobat DC app does not show it as an option and there is no option to select a mail app to use.

Screenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes... the default mail app in Windowss is set to Windows "Mail" shows as nielsherbavita shows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. Would you mind sharing the version of the Acrobat DC you are using?

To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 21.11.20039 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also go through the steps shared in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pw7JHNLy1Y an see if that works

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I I have 2020 Release (Classic) | Version 2020.004.30020 installed. I checked for updates, there are no updates available. Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Thanks for confirming the version of the application. Have you tried to add the email account as described in the video shared earlier? What happens when to do so? Do you get any error messages? If yes please share the screenshot of the same for a better understanding.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I feel like you're not really addressing the issue we're having.... Yes, I can add an email account, but when you do that, it opens up a browser window and creates a draft online. Please keep this in mind..... I do not want to use this method.

Please see the screenshot and markup in red.- My default mail client is not populating. It is blank. again, please see my screenshot The only option I have is to add an email address below and open a browser.

I should be able to use the my efault windows mail client, and not have to open a browser.

Screenshot 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...

You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Windows and try using the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset the preferences, that did not work.

I created a test user profile with admin privelages, that did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that the issue still exists, please try to remove the application using the Acrobat cleaner tool https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html reboot the computer and reinstall the application using the link https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/acrobat-2020-downloads.htmland check if that helps.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still don't work! This is so furstrating. We tried on several diferenc PC's all the steps you mentioned above!

Please tell us - does Acrobat even support sending PDF as attachment by email via Mail for Windows 10 app?

Or does it only support Outlook and online mail services(Gmail, etc.)?

Please make this matter a priority! There is no answers on internet- nowhere!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that. Would you mind sharing the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 22.1.20085 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once. 

Also what happens when you try to change the email client as described in the video shared above? Please share the screen recording of the steps you are doing for a better understanding.

Also, try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Win or enable the root account in MAC and try using the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal.

Thank you for trying. But honestly - you just repeat yourself all the time generic answers:

1. Check for Acrobat updates
  2. Reboot PC
  3. Make new user with Admin privileges
  4. Change default email client in settings

We did all that. Our version is 2022.001.20085. And it is still not working.

If you are reading this, answer this please: 

• Does Acrobat even support sending PDF as attachment by email via Mail for Windows 10 app?
  • Or does it only support Outlook and online mail services(Gmail, etc.)?

Let's see if you can answer this.

Wish you all the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Please check out the similar discussion that I have found on MS support page https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mail-for-windows-10-and-adobe-reader-dc/532dfe... and see if that works for you.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you read that article - their solution is:

• use Outlook
  • "To further address your concern, we suggest that you try saving the PDF file then attach it to the email directly and not from the Adobe Reader DC."

So @Amal.  No this does not work for me.

I know I can attach file to mail, but I want to send PDF directly from Acrobat via Windows 10 Mail app.

Thank you for further assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

The MS Mail application is not supported in Acrobat/Reader DC application. For more information about supported applications, please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/compatible-web-browsers-pdfmaker-applications.html#main_PDFMaker_...

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Amal. you are the best! Thank you for answer!

I think this matter bugged a lot of us. So now we can tell our costumers, they should use other options available.

Thank you @Amal. again - I think this thread is solved! 🙂

Hi there

The MS Mail application is not supported in Acrobat/Reader DC application. For more information about supported applications, please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/compatible-web-browsers-pdfmaker-applications.html#main_PDFMaker_...

Regards

Amal

By @Amal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like you're not really addressing the issue we're having.... Yes, I can add an email account, but when you do that, it opens up a browser window and creates a draft online. Please keep this in mind..... I do not want to use this method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate you verifying the application version. Have you made an attempt to add the email account as instructed in the previously published video? What occurs when one does this? Do you encounter any errors? If so, do give a snapshot of the issue for better comprehension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the behavior of the design. The default email client for Adobe Trapeze artist Peruser DC is set to Microsoft Standpoint. Please follow the instructions in the video linked earlier to switch your system's default email client from Outlook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello there!

Thank you for getting in touch. I hope all is well with you.

Transactions are restricted by Adobe Acrobat Sign according to the sender party's service level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about Adobe Acrobat Pro DC? I do not see this on the list of versions that aren't supported.  22.001.20117.  Why one one computer, both I am using 365 on, will one attached the pdf to the default mail and the other will not?  Both are the same verisons, one recocognized outlook and the other does not.  The one that won't send just says "default Mail application" the other one actually lists outlook as the default.  This has been the most frustrating thing in the world.  Worked just fine for YEARS and now nothing.  Had online help, reinstalled, they had zero answers.  I want to know when this feature will be fixed!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines