• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 64-bit edition

New Here ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a 64-bit edition of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to install on Windows 7 64-bit , or Windows 10 64-bit ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Use the 32-bit version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any plan to introduce the 64-bit edition of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC? If so, when can it be expected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask Adobe about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you care? There are no issues with running 32-bit apps until 2038?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, so why don't you drive a car with 2-stroke engine? Or even with a steam engine... And why don't you use Netscape Navigator web browser? They are working just fine, you know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there are. On a 64 bits system, the Adobe Reader 32 bits has problem loading and it freezes each time you click on one of the menu buttons and window dialogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there are. With Reader comes an Active X plugin, which is used by all kind of .NET plugins. If you're running a .NET application in 64bit mode, the application won't be able to start the Reader component, and a gray area is shown where you'd expect to see a PDF. Now, of course, we could build our application in 32bit mode untill 2038, but this comes with other problems...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But Sir I have a hp-db series laptop and in my pc it takes almost 10 mins to open. I have an AMD radeon processor of 64 bit. And all my apps of 64 bit works very smoothly and hardly it takes a min to run. So yes there is a need of a 64-bit version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You may want to switch Acrobat to open in compatibility mode for Windows 8 or even Windows 7.

I've been observing a lot of issues recently here in the forums coming from users that have these new AMD powerful processors, specially those computers with Radeon AMD for the graphic card support.

At home I have computers with both AMD and Intel processors. My 10 year old Intel CPU computers still ouyperforms a 2021 AMD processor laptop.

My guess is you may have to manually force an update of the chipset drivers by downloading  them directly from the AMD support website. Don't let the Windows OEM-provided drivers for that computer assign its own generic drivers through the automatic updates...

See if this suggestion helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is only one advantage of 64-bit apps on Windows, so far as I can see. All the rest is marketing junk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is all advantages to have this in x64.

For me the most important is that when using a browser x64, it's what I use now and most of users, there is no x64 plugin compatible for Firefox or Chrome compatible like it use have for x32 versions... I don't like the built in plugin view in Firefox or Chrome (lack of many options for instance), nor do I like to open pdf in Acrobat outside the browser, that makes me open another window program.

I like to let pdfs stay inside a tab in Firefox!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

64 vs 32 bit is not the reason you have no browser plug-in. FireFox and Chrome removed support for Adobe PDF plug-ins, both 32-bit and 64-bit. There is no way for Adobe to put this back so far as I know, FireFox and Chrome don't want it. There is a 64-bit control for IE which works in IE, but not Edge, because Microsoft don't allow add-ins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are quite a few folk using Reader on 64 bit systems these days, and I think if everyone was seeing this they would have mentioned it. So your real problem probably has a specific and very different cause. What do you mean by "problem loading" exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems similar to the problem with my machine/software/version/etc. I am using Windows 10 Pro (64-bit of course) and Adobe Acrobat Pro will freeze for up to 30 seconds each time a dialogue box is opened, or an additional file is opened. About half the time, a second or third opened file will not load for at least 2 minutes, sometimes taking up to 20 minutes. Restarts are ineffective. (I had a problem with MS Word 32-bit version - it was only able to use 2gb of memory, but I updated to a 64-bit version; it can now use all the RAM it needs.)

Any thoughts on the specific and different cause?

Here are the machine specs:

Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2637 v4 @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

Total Virtual Memory 36.7 GB

Adapter Type Quadro P4000, NVIDIA compatible

Adapter RAM (1,048,576) bytes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too had freezing issues in Acrobat Reader DC 32 bit. After various attempts to resolve, including uninstall and re-install, I finally hit upon trying compatibility. 

Try this, it worked for me.

C:/Program files (x86)/Adobe/Acrobat Reader DC/Reader/

find AcroRd32

Right click

Properties

Run Compatibilty Troubleshooter

Good luck....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx for the info! Unfortunately, it did not solve that problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's funny reading posts from people who think that x64 in AARDC is ridiculous. But my experience is just like xochj and, Onesolo. To think that the "Correct answer" is really an answer at all, is mind boggling. That's a copout! "There is no way for Adobe to put this back so far as I know, FireFox and Chrome don't want it. There is a 64-bit control for IE which works in IE, but not Edge, because Microsoft don't allow add-ins"..., is as ridiculous as the idea NOT to build a x64 bit version. Windows 10 is forever "updating", and apps that are not "updating" as well, simply don't work right. This Acrobat Reader is almost useless in the x32 bit version when Windows 10, x64, updates. You simply cannot use it. It freezes into "Not Responding" whenever you open the "Tools" tab. NOT the EDGE, IE, Chrome, Firefox, version. Just the plain, Windows 10 x64 version.

So, you need to go back and find another "reason", because that "excuse" is NOT an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the correct correct answer!!!!

We work with large PDF's 42"x30" sometimes in excess of 300 Sheets and 100 MB.  I think there would be a very noticeable difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have before me a 52 page, 64 MB PDF file which cannot be handled by any PDF reader on any Windows PC since all the readers are 32-bit.  Even my high end Windows 10 Pro 64 bit PC with 24GB RAM 4.7 GHz 8-core FX-9590 with two Radeon HD 7990's dies painfully trying to simply view pages 9 or later of this document.  I've tried many readers under Windows 10, and none could handle this file.

However my vintage 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 dual 2.8 GHz with 20 GB RAM eats this document for lunch.  It has zero difficulty with it using Apple's Preview, which being a 64-bit app comfortably allocates nearly 4 GB of RAM while this document is open.  So on a 12 year old Macintosh, I can do things impossible on a high end modern Windows box.  The old Macintosh can speed though the pages of this document backwards and forwards with the repeating PgDn and PgUp keys, and having fully rendered the entire document in memory at once, the screen fills faster than I can even perceive.  It keeps up with the repeating keyboard easily.

This problem with 32-bit only viewers avaiulable under Windows is forcing my customer to switch from Windows to Macintosh because there is apparently no way to handle files like these under Windows.
This file was produced by an architectural engineering firm and my customer is just a paving contractor.  Such files are becoming increasingly common in the construction industry.
Adobe - please get your act together and offer some solution.  Not everybody cares about browser plugin compatibility!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into the limit due to this tabbed view, I have many PDFs I use all the time for my development work for the specs I need to follow or research, some are hundreds of pages. 

But since acrobat puts them all into a single 32 bit process, looking for a setting to change to open each in it's own process. to hopefully solve this. (Found it: You can disable tabs via Edit - Preferences - General - Uncheck "Open documents as new tabs in the same window (requires relaunch))

I'm run into running out of acrobat memory. I have 32 GB RAM but 32 bit is limited to 4 GB and also in case people don't know 32bit is emulated into 64 which is why issues running 32 bit apps on 64 bits windows causes issues.

Edit 1: I was to find the open for not using tabbed view and list it.

Edit 2: It opens separate windows (Great!) but only has 2 processes in task manager, so I expect the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When you install the Adobe Reader DC for the first time, it prompts the user to make this program the default to handle PDF files and use file explorer.

Due to the file explorer being dependent on the security zones settings of Internet Explorer you'll probably have to emable Enhanced Protected Mode and Enhanced Protected Mode 64bit.

You'll probably don't want to disable Protected Mode and Security Enhanced from Reader/ Acrobat, but we know this layer of 32bit security may conflict.

To work around this problem you need to use Enterprise Mode for your browser accessing files in your Intranet, and run it in an app container using GPO.

It involves enabling IIS and other configurations so it is not a simple task. Micrososft enabled this Enterprise Mode option as a transition for users to eventually migrate to a 64bit ideal world.

So by using this method, even though it works, is like rolling back to a less secure en environment.

On the other side of the coin, I can't stress enough in my posts, that the new Ms Edge browser (64bit only) allows to enable and use the new Adobe Acrobat extension.

That is an entire 64 bit solution right there.

With this new browser and the Acrobat extension enabled, you can actually continue to view the PDF file in your 64 bit browser and also open it directly in your Acrobat Pro DC/Reader DC  with a single click using the extension (as long as the Acrobat or Reader have the default PDF ownership in windows).

The beauty of this workflow is that you can keep Protected Mode and Security Enhanced enabled in your Acrobat/Reader.

+++ I mean, am I the only onle reading news and trying these work arounds successfully in my crappo old Lenovo and MacBook (2010) computers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to use workarounds; however, corporate restrictions on my machines (I work with too many ITAR Drawings) do not allow me to try what I can on my personal machines. 

I did find an excellent solution in PDF Architect 7 (64-bit). It never lags, the UI seems as if it was taken directly from MS Word 365, which may not be good for some, but I use 64-bit Word as my main writing tool.

It is stable under the most demanding use, it has never frozen, their customer support is fast, and they actually address user concerns in the next revision/release.

I’ve found it’s search/replace, commenting/highlighting, text selection, and OCR features to be superior to Acrobat. And the program is $89 for a yearly, always updated program license (or $135 for a lifetime w/out upgrades) to the complete/pro + OCR program. ($20 less for no OCR, another $20 less for standard version that retains full editing,conversion, page organization/insertion, etc.) 

I'll keep using Adobe for Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere, but I can't recommend PDF Architect 7 enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that corporate has restriction on what you can do in your personal computer except for installing new software.

Where I work you can't install nothing, and not even right click anywhere to access a context menu.

Seems like your corporate is not very concerned about security when the current restrictions allow its users to install whatever they can get their hands on.

But thanks for sharing your feedback.

I may add, that the more I learn about Adobe Acrobat and how it interacts with different operating systems, the more I've realized  that some of the symptoms that users bring to the forums attentions is related to misconfigurations at the IT management level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information from Adobe staff is given in this related Forums post:

How do I change from 32-bit to 64-bit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines