• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC search/find functionality (Crtr F) does not work anymore

Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC search/find functionality within pdf files does not work anymore.

Doesn’t matter whether I try keyboard Ctrl F, or the look-up button in the document

The issue is not specific for one pdf file, but it occurs with all pdfs (where this had never occurred before).

The advanced search does not work either.

My Versions

Windows     Windows 10, version 1903 Successfully installed on ‎16-‎Jun-‎19

Adobe          19.012.20035 installed on 15-Jun-19

McAfee just reported that all my applications are up to date...

Behaviour

Simple find

When the Find box is displayed

find box.JPG

then immediately a Windows error message pops up

error pop up.jpg

and when you press OK, the whole pdf crashes/closes.

The Exception Processing Message and the Parameters are always the same, only the pop-up title differs (it differs with the document that you are trying this on? it differs when using the button or the Ctrl F? am not sure what causes the different titles)

error pop up2.jpg

error pop up3.jpg

Advanced search

When I use the advanced search (say that I want to search in the current document only, so don’t change the default), I can type a word, and select that I want whole words only, but then when I press Search, I get the error pop-up again, with the same Exception Processing Message and same Parameters again and only a different title in the pop-up

error pop up advanced.jpg

Would like to know what's causing this issue, or rather: how to solve it.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

I had this problem in Windows 10 but it didn't throw up any error message.  Another reply mentioned a "Repair Installation" function.  It appears in the Help Menu, and it solved the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anjao,

Acrobat and Reader official update (19.012.20036) is now available. This update will be automatically pushed to all existing installations of Acrobat and Reader. If you want, you may also manually trigger the update early by opening the application and going to Help > Check for Updates. Or you may refer to the release notes and install the patch directly: DC Release Notes — Release Notes for Acrobat DC Products 

Let us know if it still doesn't help with latest patch.

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akancha,

Thanks for your advice.

Additionally to my story above, I should maybe mention that I also got all the Windows Cumulative updates since the 1903 build was installed.

Because my machine was rebooted between yesterday and today, I first checked whether the issue still existed, and it did.

So I followed your advice and updated Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to version 2019.012.20036. After the update the issue still occurred. Therefore I rebooted and tried again; issue still occurs, with the same Exception Processing Message, but slightly different Parameters than yesterday.

error pop up4.jpg

Then I looked at my Settings->Update history for Windows and saw that another Cumulative Update was waiting, so I installed that also.

After the (successful) install+reboot, I tried Adobe Acrobat Reader DC again. Open a file, Ctrl F, still get the error, again with the same Exception Processing Message, but again slightly different Parameters error pop up5.jpg

So I guess my machine is fully up to date, both re. Windows and re. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and this issue still has to be tackled.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Greetings! I am sorry to hear that you are facing issues with the Find tool feature.

It would be great if you could help us with a few queries that will help us in investigating the bug:

1. Could you please share the files which you’re using with the Find tool so that we can try to reproduce the issue at our end?
  2. Could you please confirm that this issue is happening with a specific file or with other files also?

Thanks

Aakash

Adobe Acrobat DC Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aakash,

As I also wrote on the forum: it happens with EVERY pdf file, and this started only recently.

Since I don’t seem to be able to send files as attachment on the forum, please find them attached to this email.

The first file I created myself because I wanted to keep it simple re. contents, the second one is the pdf I created on the Adobe forum from the discussion there , so an Adobe origin!!!

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please follow the steps to share the file using Adobe send - https://cloud.acrobat.com/send

1. Open this link
  2. Click on “Select files to Send”
  3. Click link "Choose file from my computer" and Select the file
  4. Click on "Add Files", if you have more files to add
  5. Click on Create link
  6. Share this link with us

Thanks

Aakash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Acrobat just started doing the same thing since the last Windows Update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please disregard, "Repair Installation" used and resolved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem in Windows 10 but it didn't throw up any error message.  Another reply mentioned a "Repair Installation" function.  It appears in the Help Menu, and it solved the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tried the 'Repair Installation' function & still won't search. Have a 52 page document that I need to find certain words, text and/or phrases. Nothing works. It is not only this document, but ANY PDF document. I searched on a word on the first page of this document & I get "Acrobat has finished searching this document, No matches were found". But I can see the match on the first page, so I know the word I'm looking for is there. Please help...this is large document that I need to find this stuff quickly and not have to look at each page. HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines