Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Reader is *incredibly* slow & keeps hanging

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello folks,

Does anyone know why Adobe Acrobat Reader is so *incredibly* slow & keeps hanging please?

I keep getting the 'not responding' message; have to close it down & try again.

Documents load *really* slowly, if at all!

I have a fast PC with 16GB of memory, so that shouldn't be the problem...

Any ideas on speeding it up please?

Maybe Adobe you coudl do so?!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

This worked for me perfetly!!! Thank you.

"Go to Preferences > Security, and turn off SafeLogic CryptoComply, and then Preferences > Security (Enhanced), turn off everything"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcush

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described the application is slow and loading the files takes long time.

Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check. If the file is stored on a shared network/drive please download the file to your computer first and then try to open it and check.

What is the version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the latest version installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates and reboot the computer once.

You may also try to turn off the protected mode for testing (Win Only) Go to Edit > Preferences > Enhanced Security > Uncheck 'Enable protected mode at startup' Turn off the Protected mode and uncheck 'Enhanced Security' > Click OK and reboot the computer once.
Note: Please turn on the security after testing to avoid any security risk.

Also try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described in the help page - https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792... and see if that works.

If it still doesn't work, please try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Windows or enable the root account in Mac and try using the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can such a simple functionality as Adobe Acrobat reader is, been made so complicated that it gives these kind of problems? I have the same issues, nothing helps, the reader is just so inefficient. The functionality hasn't changed in its essence over decades and it keeps getting worse with every version. Adobe: build a stable version without all the overhead that the industry is not interested in. Please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.

Would you mind sharing the version of the Acrobat Reader DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 22.2.20191 installed. Go to help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also, please share a small video recording of the issue you are experiencing for a better understanding.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. I am using the version you indicated. I also made a small video, but unfortunately the Mac OS does not capture the spinning ball that shows that 95% of the time, I am waiting for it to stop spinning. This is provoked by just scrolling and clicking the text. It is a document of 112 pages, 8.1MB in size, so nothing too challenging. I did put comments and highlights in the text, but would not expect that to make AR so irresponsive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. As far as I'm concerned the "the version" becomes progressively irrelevant as Adobe keeps making changes that have not improved the functionality or look but instead results in the application performing worse. Annotating a tiny 75kb file is egregiously slow as if it were a very heavy, HUGE file. The program is responding as if Adobe eliminated their better/experienced programmers and replaced them with eager-to-make-changes and experiment, enthusiastic, BUT inexperienced and lower-paid newcomers sacrificing efficiency and functionality. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where the F*** is this "Edit" tab?  

Worthless IT feedback.  

Unbelievably slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue with me.

A 30 pages document gets the software frozen and closes suddenly. started using Microsoft edge to read instead and it is WAY FASTER. Disappointed to use the PRO version and it's this SLOOOWWWWW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

none of these solutions helped, Adobe staff has to ask to access my pc to see the issue. This company is going downhill fast and I am looking at piracy options now, I recommend everyone else do the same. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MOVED TO THE ACROBAT READER FORUM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat has been a plague to me for over a decade.  Probably more like a quarter century.  It always locks up and I have to wonder why?  Because it is doing things in the background that require constant connections over the net.  Looks like I finally fixed it.  I went into edit, preferences... and found every form of any setting that had to go to the net or get security settings and disabled them.  For the first time EVER... the app moved smoothly.   I do not like it when aps have to access other sites on the net to run correctly... and this is what plauges Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi what were the settings that you turned off? can you share it with us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wraiththe thank you for that - I will give that a try - so freaking tired of Adobe's patheticness!

Are there alternates for pdfs yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH MY GOD, thank you so much! It really helps. For those who wondering, go to Preferences > Security, and turn off SafeLogic CryptoComply (whatever this is), and then Preferences > Security (Enhanced), turn off everything, and voila now this bs won't be laggy anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me perfetly!!! Thank you.

"Go to Preferences > Security, and turn off SafeLogic CryptoComply, and then Preferences > Security (Enhanced), turn off everything"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked, THANK YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! It's like a whole new world. Thank YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly for me. *Greatly* appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having a horrible experience with PDFs lagging. I can't, however,  find "SafeLogic CryptoComply" to turn it off in the security settings. I was able to find the other Security (Enhanced) and turned it off. Is the SafeLogic CryptoComply setting nolonger available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Carlos316532011o1d 

Man those settings are a wrecker, what a difference that makes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for the love of all that is holy, THANK YOU!!!!! idk if an update changed those settings but my acrobat started acting like my computer sucks (and it doesn't) and it was making me lose my mind. Thank you for bringing back my sanity because all the other stuff that people said to do, it wasn't right. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Verzonden vanuit Mail<> voor Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023. Same issue, but with a 12 page document. TWELVE PAGES. It's taking an absurd amount of time to type FIVE WORDS. I am extremely frustrated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Monica28899346wsgj 

Is that a 12-page document only causing trouble, or are you experiencing this issue with multiple files? 

Please confirm the following details:

1- Exact version of Acrobat Open Acrobat>Help>About Acrobat

2- Change the following security settings and see if that helps, 

Navigate to Acrobat>Edit>Preferences>Security (Enhanced)>disable "Protected View" and "Enhanced Security">OK>close and reopen Acrobat Reader.

Note: these changes are only for testing purposes. Once tested, please change it back to the previous setting.

Thanks,

Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. It seemed to improve when I did your option 2 above. Please advise about way forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines