Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- corporate environment

- domain-joined computers

- local users do not have admin rights

- Reader DC is deployed to all machines as part of standard image

- no software blacklist

- nothing in GPO related to Adobe reader

Adobe Reader DC has been disappearing from computers around my network.  Multiple locations, multiple users - no common threads there.    It works, and then one day people find that the computer is defaulting to opening PDFs with one browser or another, and Reader DC is totally gone from the computer.  Easy enough to download and reinstall, but what is causing it to vanish?   

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , PDF and browsers , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly some overly agressive antivirus software setup at the corporate / domain level that silently deletes the application?

There is nothing in Adobe Acrobat Reader that allows for self uninstallation. Nor is this a symptom that we have heard of at all from others.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply.

Our antivirus is McAfee, applied to all machines. We're not aware of any
other software disappearing on any other machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you lost all files at C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  Adobe entirely disappears, as if it was never there (which it was).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to say that I'm glad in a way to have stumbled across your unfortunate happenings, as otherwise I would be doubting my sanity levels and wondering if I'm seeing things.

But yes, I've experienced the same.

Home environment, new Dell laptop for my wife 14 months ago, Windows 10. Definitely installed Adobe Acrobat Reader, checked it was working ok, my wife uses it all the time for multiple uses, including every month mid-month for a magazine she organises printing for.

And tonight, trying to open a PDF boarding pass (double clicking) in order to print it. No Adobe Acrobat Reader. Windows asking which app to open the file with. No sign of Adobe Acrobat Reader in: Settings-Apps, C:\Program Files, Windows Menu App List. Gone. Vanished.

Sure, (re)downloaded it, (re)installed it, (re)set as default app again, and it's all fine again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've experienced the same. Only Adobe disappearing. Anybody knows why is this happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My Adobe has come up missing as well. The folder is there but nothing in it. However, its a blessing because I have found a much better PDF editor. "Bluebeam" is a far better package. Adobe is super sketchy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines