Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

adobe reader has stopped working

Apr 26, 2015 Apr 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I try to open a pdf file or reader on its own I keep getting the following message.

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem and then it says A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

The program was working fine last week so its only been happened recently.

I on windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

I have tried uninstalling & reinstalling but still get same message,

This happened last year aswell but cant remember how I fixed it.

Can someone help please.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Sorry to repeat an earlier post, but I'm not sure if you tried it and if it didn't work.

1. Do you have the Preview Pane enabled in File Explorer? If so, can you disable it temporarily to see if the problem goes away? On Windows 8, in Explorer go to the View tab, and if the "Preview Pane" button is pressed, un-press it. On Windows 7, towards the top-right (towards the left of the help icon) there's a "Show the preview pane" button; un-press it.

2. Make sure the following directories exist on your

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JWaguespack - Thanks for the information (and the vote of confidence, ha ha).  I'll go ahead and add those folders on your advice and that of "tiffanytodd".  Fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is resolved in the public hot fix posted here:

Acrobat Help | Release notes | Acrobat DC, Acrobat Reader DC | Update

Please update your Reader install with the above patch to remedy the issue.

Regards,

Charlene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlene,

I just installed the first of the 5 patches you provided in the link above. The other 4 patches would not install. I have tried all other suggestions in this forum, and nothing has worked. I am hoping this works. I will report back as soon as I know.

Thank you,

Jody

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing the patches Charlene mentions above has worked!! Thank you!

Jody

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you create the directories?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I did step 1 and step 2, the problem still exist. Please advise anything else I can do to fix it. Otherwise, the only way I can do is go back to previous version.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2015 Dec 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2015 Dec 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Pro X, Windows 10.  When try to "Change", it says that the Word Creative Pack (Word for Windows, etc. online) is the problem somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have a patch to deal with this issue and it worked. I also note that they no longer support X. I'm not wiling to go to their DC or XI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

For some weeks now, I have not experienced any further issues with the Adobe Reader or Acrobat Pro. Since my post, about 2 months ago, Adobe has updated both applications several time. I believe one of those updates corrected the problem.

My job involves daily use of many of the Adobe products (including Adobe Acrobat) so I can assure you that the crashing is definitely gone.

BTW, Acrobat Pro version is: 2015.009.20077 and Reader XI is: 11.0.13.17

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe the company's lack of ownership and responsibility to its users to expect them investigate and fix problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the USERNAME my Adobe ID, my Account Holder Name, or something else? I do not see a "USERNAME" listed anywhere in my account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 04, 2016 Mar 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar (but not identical) issue since a week or so.

I have Acrobat Reader DC running on Windows 7 Pro x64. It has all been working flawlessly since initial install, 5 months ago.

If I try to open a PDF file by double-clicking it, Acrobat DC crashes on startup ("... has stopped working).

If I start Acrobat Reader DC on its own (from the Start menu) it doesn't crash, and I can load a PDF file by dragging the file into the app.

So far I don't see any random crash pop-ups once Acrobat reader has been successfully launched.

I don't have preview pane enabled in Windows Explorer.

I checked the path

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Acrobat\DC\

and found that it already had a \Cache and \ToolsSearchCacheRdr folders,

but no \ToolsSearchCacheAcro - so I created that one manually.

Still the problem is the same - Acrobat Reader DC crashes when launched by double-clicking PDF files in Windows Explorer.

Any ideas?

Kristofer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2016 Jun 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very frustrating. Just within the past few weeks the same issues show up for me also. Had done the uninstall/re-install thing; plus making sure I had the two folders as mentioned above...still getting errors.

I have unchecked the Enable Protected Mode at startup, and opened 5,6,7 pdf files...so far, so good. 10 minutes have past and no errors yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2016 Jun 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Running all day long, and have been opening and closing all kinds of pdf manuals. Sometimes I have 8~10 open at one time...not once did I get my reader to crash .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 15, 2016 Jun 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also found the same issue "Acrobat has stopped working" and believe I found a fix for this issue.  It seemed the same message was popping up with our Office packages as well.  I tried the solutions mentioned in this forum as well as the Microsoft Tech Forums.  Nothing worked.  I decided to try an increase in virtual memory.  As a rule of thumb i unselect the Let Windows Manage virtual memory and select Custom.  Then set BOTH the Initial size and maximum size to reflect 2x the physical RAM in the system. (ie. 8 Gb RAM = 16384 file size).  This did the trick no more errors in any of the applications. This also helped out with our users that have a lot of memory intense applications open at the same time.  Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2016 Aug 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I get the below error countless times in a day. I have Adobe acrobat reader DC 2015 release Version 2015.017.20053 using on my surface which has windows 10 pro 64 bit operating system.

I am trying to open two files to read simultaneously.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Have tried repair installation and checked the latest updates nothing works.

It is very frustrating.. adobe reader crashes multiple times in a matter of few minutes.

Thanks for your assistance.

AB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting same error on a Surface Pro 4

I uninstalled and reinstalled, will not launch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 10 and Reader DC, which just stopped working without apparent reason or cause. I have uninstalled, used the cleaner tool, rebooted, reinstalled, and NOTHING. Tech support had me do all this again, even though I've tried 10 times. Then I was told, because it is a free product, it is not supported. Nice, Adobe. Leave us hanging with a piece of crap. I even purchased the Adobe PDF Exporter to try and use my company's fill-in PDF files as I was, but that did not give me the same results.

USELESS. And I am highly frustrated with Adobe right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  That worked well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple Solution.......

Step 1:-Disconnect your pc/laptop from the Internet.
Step 2: Open Any pdf file and wait for 1 min or 2 min you will not get any message.
Step 3:- connect your pc with the internet and do your work. In this way, you can solve your problem.............until you not closing the last pdf file error message will not popup.....just keep one pdf always open in task manager. otherwise, follow the same steps.
Step 4:- This is a simple and temporary solution and just wait for the correct update.
Step 5:- Advice select the manual update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried it but it did not solve.

This issue has become a pandemic issue in my Health Department. All PCs have issue and too many complains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This works for me, thank you for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I create these directories on my computer? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive done all of this my computer will not convert a word docuement to pdf. I pay money for yhis service

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines