• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader quit unexpectedly

Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept getting this problem with my Adobe Acrobat reader.  I tried to repair and even reinstall but it keeps coming up. Not sure if it has anything to do with recent Windows updates. I am using Windows 10 64bit.

Help! 

<title altered for clarity-kglad>

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Just to chime in (hello everyone by the way!):

I have also been seeing it - Acrobat Reader DC x64 - on two different machines, and along the same timelines as this thread:

1. Personal (home) PC with Windows 10 (home)

2. Old work laptop (Surface) with Windows 10 (corporate)

Two above machines had had all updates/upgrades in place, latest version of Adobe Reader DC x64 installed etc.

Registry trick worked on my work laptop, had not deployed it on home PC as I was awaiting proper fix.

Interestingly,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Hi there,

The new version 23.08.20555 of Acrobat is now available addressing the fix for the issue.

Please update the application from the help menu > check for updates and reboot the computer once.

You may also download the patch manually from the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Thank you Amal, The AcrobatDCx64Upd2300820555.msp update seems to have fixed the issue.

D. Steele

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 266 Replies 266
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<moved from cc desktop bugs >

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eddie_77,

Thank you for reaching out, and sorry about the trouble caused.

As the Acrobat Reader quit unexpectedly, please try the troubleshooting steps suggested in the following help document: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-crashes-on-windows-os.html.

If that does not help, try removing the application and running the cleaner tool (https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html). Reboot the machine and install Acrobat Reader from the following page: https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

If the issue still occurs, share the Reader version on the machine. Share the screen recording of the workflow.

We may require logs for the crash. You may collect the crash logs using the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too started getting this problem on Windows 11 Pro 22H2 22621.2283 after the Windows September 2023 updates.

Several times a day I am getting this error:

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Error.jpg

I get the error even if I do not do anything related to Adobe Reader DC.

I have a feeling this is related to the "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer". I am saying this because if I turn off that setting I do not get the error.

Adobe Acrobat Reader v2023.006.20320 64 bit.

I tried the troubleshooting steps but that did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FuzzyJohn,

Thank you for sharing the information.

As you experience the same issue, please collect the crash logs and share them for further investigation.

You may collect the crash logs using the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html

Let us know if you need any help.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the steps to enable CrashDumps. After that in Adobe Reader Preferences I turned on "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer". When I clicked OK I immediately got the small error window. Checking in Windows Explorer I could not find the CrashDumps folder.

Here is a screenshot of my REGEDIT screen:

Regedit Screenshot.jpg

Here is a screenshot of Windows Explorer after I got the error window.

Explorer Folders.jpg

Just in case I jusr restarted my computer and I am awaiting to get the error again. I'll report of the outcome.

For what it's worth, following the steps outlined by VCS-Marketing below I could not trigger the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noted - I only tested it a couple times, so perhaps just an odd coincidence on my end

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After following the steps to create the CrashDumps, I got the error several times but it looks like the CrashDumps folder is not created (as shown in my screenshot above).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meenakshi is there going to be another update? We are all having this annoying issue every time we close a window in Adobe. There is no fixes that I see yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ghanksta,

The issue has been reported to the team, and they are looking into this.

It would be helpful if you could collect the crash logs and share them for further investigation.

You may collect the crash logs using the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html

Let us know if you need any help.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I previously mentioned, for me the Crash Dumps are not generated. I also posted screenshots of the Registry to prove that I did everything correctly. I did get files in the CrashDumps folder after running the Cleanup Tool, but nothing when the error we are talking about here is shown. Maybe it is not a real error that brings up that message??? Maybe just a bug?

For me the error shows up the first time a few minutes after starting the computer, even if I don't touch the computer. After that it may come up when I use Adobe Reader but not always.

Did anybody else manage to generate Crash Dumps from this error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @FuzzyJohn I got the same behaviour as you.
I've also create the Registry Keys as requested.
But even with many popup "Acrobat quit unexpectedly" there is no single file related to Acrobat in the Dump folder

PierreMrsFr_0-1695980985676.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am getting the same error recently on a pretty much brand new install of Windows 11 too. I think its related the thumbnails, as only get error when Enable PDF thumbnails previews is enabled. I have tried fresh reinstall, remove completly using cleaner, and manually removing all traces before reinstalling, but still get dozens if not hundreds of errors per day. I have also tried clearing all thumbnails with Windows, no change. I have also tried installing Reader first, then Acrobat (pro) but always get the error when Thumbnails are enabled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off enable thumbnails stopped the annoying "quit" error.  Even with this turned off, I can still open a file and get a PDF preview, so all is good.   Thanks for the tip.

Edit>Preferences>General>(UNCHECK) Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me as well - even though Acrobat does not shut down/close, I still get this error message when opening a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue, with the same resolution on the same version of Adobe Acrobat.  Windows 10 Pro 22H2. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your diagnosis is correct. You have to uncheck "Enable PDF thumbnails in Windows Explorer" in order to stop getting the error. This problem arose only recently (Since September 2023). Adobe needs to fix this. The thumbnail feature is useful, and paying subscribers should not be deprived of this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this same message even when my Enable PDF... is unchecked. And I only get the error when opening a doc from the server. Also, weirdly, the doc then opens just fine ?? But it's extremely annoying to have to click Skip every time.

If I open a doc from inside Adobe, I do not get the message. Another weird thing...

I've tried all the fix-its on this page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-crashes-on-windows-os.html  to no avail. Is my only option to report it (ugh)? Anyone smarter about this than I (a low bar) with ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this same message even when my Enable PDF... is unchecked. And I only get the error when opening a doc from the server. Also, weirdly, the doc then opens just fine ?? But it's extremely annoying to have to click Skip every time.

If I open a doc from inside Adobe, I do not get the message. Another weird thing...

I've tried all the fix-its on this page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-crashes-on-windows-os.html  to no avail. Is my only option to report it (ugh)? Anyone smarter about this than I (a low bar) with ideas?

By @Jennifer246297531jaf

@Jennifer246297531jaf and anybody else who finds that error message annoying:

If you feel at ease editing the Windows Registry, in Regedit go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\AVGeneral\CrashDataAtLaunch and create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value named bDisableSuggestWorkaroundsAtLaunch then set it to 1. Once you click OK the error messages should disappear until you delete this value or set it to 0 (zero).

This is how it should look in Regedit:

bDisableSuggestWorkaroundsAtLaunch.jpg

Alternately you can use the bDisableSuggestWorkaroundsAtLaunch.txt file I attached here, change the extension from .txt to .reg and double-click the file. Allow this app (Registry Editor) to make changes to your device, and the bDisableSuggestWorkaroundsAtLaunch value will be created and it will be set to 1.

Ever since I created this value I never got that annoying error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much, that has worked for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Life Saver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot thank you enough. I use Adobe Acrobat ALL the time and this was literally driving me insane. Your fix worked. A MILLION THANK YOUS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot thank you enough. I use Adobe Acrobat ALL the time and this was literally driving me insane. Your fix worked. A MILLION THANK YOUS

By @Caroline317

Glad it worked for you. I don't take this as a fix though. See my reply to @slipd (above this message).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fuzzy,

Thank you kindly for the workaround. This has worked for me too.
I am sure I am correct in saying that I speak for all when I say.
Eventhough this IS NOT a fix, it is a work around we all require because Adobe is too... well, you know the word I want to use here, to fix the issue itself, that clearly MANY are experiencing!!!
Everyone is clearly pointing out that no logs is being created for this hogwash issue.

Anyway, I am still appreciative of the fix/ workaround provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines