• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader quit unexpectedly

Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept getting this problem with my Adobe Acrobat reader.  I tried to repair and even reinstall but it keeps coming up. Not sure if it has anything to do with recent Windows updates. I am using Windows 10 64bit.

Help! 

<title altered for clarity-kglad>

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Just to chime in (hello everyone by the way!):

I have also been seeing it - Acrobat Reader DC x64 - on two different machines, and along the same timelines as this thread:

1. Personal (home) PC with Windows 10 (home)

2. Old work laptop (Surface) with Windows 10 (corporate)

Two above machines had had all updates/upgrades in place, latest version of Adobe Reader DC x64 installed etc.

Registry trick worked on my work laptop, had not deployed it on home PC as I was awaiting proper fix.

Interestingly,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Hi there,

The new version 23.08.20555 of Acrobat is now available addressing the fix for the issue.

Please update the application from the help menu > check for updates and reboot the computer once.

You may also download the patch manually from the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Thank you Amal, The AcrobatDCx64Upd2300820555.msp update seems to have fixed the issue.

D. Steele

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 266 Replies 266
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue with me since sept 2023 update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue despite trying most of the suggested fixes. I haven't tried turning off thumbnail view for PDFs yet, though, so I'll give it a shot. If that's the only fix, that would be quite annoying, as I find them a convenient way to preview the correct PDF. '

This is also since the most recent update (up to date as of September 26, 2023).

Last night I was editing in Premiere when the Acrobat error popped up. Not 100% sure if this is related, but Premiere crashed shortly after that. Sure, I was able to recover (yay for frequent saves and recovery mode!!). But still, VERY annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also getting this error after 09/23 windows updates, when thumbnails option are enable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how to deactivate thumbnails?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also noticed if Windows Explorer is generating PDF thumbnails, and even if I open a PDF from Outlook for example, it will still crash, if Explorer is currently generating thumbnails... if Explorer isn generating, but open, then often will not get the error so I belive its related to the process that generates the thumbnails., if that is idle, error doesn't seem prevelant. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also same error Any someone resolved 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got same problem since 7-10 days. I use PDFs  >50 times per day 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one of the first things to try with all adobe apps that have unexpected behavior is to reset the app's preferences.  the easiest way to do that is:

uninstall the problematic app including preferences per https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did already a new install after cleanup with AdobeAcroCleaner_DC2021 - no luck, still the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem i srelated to having Microsoft Edge open. If I close edge, the issue does not appear when I open PDFs until I open Edge again.

I guess the crash is with PDF and Edge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have or use Edge.. it's happening with Chrome, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

If the troubleshooting steps suggested do not help, it would be helpful if you could share the crash logs for further investigation. You may collect the crash logs using the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi,

Don't know if you saw my earlier post about the CrashDumps. Even though the error came up the CrashDumps folder and logs were not created. Not even when getting the error after a restart.

Was anybody else successful withe CrashDumps generation steps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incidentally, all day Friday, Sept. 21, I got no errors. The setting to generate thumbnails in Windows Explorer was turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saturday, Sept. 22, I've been using my computer for several hours now and no error. Usually by now I would have had it come up about 8-10 times.

Makes me wonder if the problem was somewhere back home, at Adobe and it got quietly fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still getting today 9/22/23 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunatelly that didn't last. Still have the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me, since weeks on several computers... 😤
W11 x64
Hope any update will fix that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm here after searching Google for this same issue. Just started happening recently after enabling the checkbox to "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer," to see if that would fix the issue with the "up" arrow not working in the Windows preview pane. It did not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  IT department uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat and the problem resurfaced.  As others have mentioned, the cause of the problem is activating "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer."  I cannot disable this feature because I work with a lot of PDF files, so previewing is important for efficiency.  Keeping an eye on this thread for a fix.  thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still preview PDFs in Windows Explorer without that check box checked. I just turned it off on my end yesterday and the error hasn't resurfaced. (I only turned that on hoping that it would fix the "up" arrow in the preview pane not working; it didn't.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking it will not remove the thumbnails for existing documents but it will not generate thumbnails for new PDF documents (at least for me).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue. I also work with lots. Pdfs and require the thumbnail preview. I am posting to keep an eye on this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled Acrobat, used the Adobe Cleaner Tool and then installed the 32-bit Adobe Acrobat from: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-downloads.html

That seemed to get rid of the error.  Maybe it's not ideal, but everyone is going crazy with the error, I had to implement something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines