• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader quit unexpectedly

Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept getting this problem with my Adobe Acrobat reader.  I tried to repair and even reinstall but it keeps coming up. Not sure if it has anything to do with recent Windows updates. I am using Windows 10 64bit.

Help! 

<title altered for clarity-kglad>

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Just to chime in (hello everyone by the way!):

I have also been seeing it - Acrobat Reader DC x64 - on two different machines, and along the same timelines as this thread:

1. Personal (home) PC with Windows 10 (home)

2. Old work laptop (Surface) with Windows 10 (corporate)

Two above machines had had all updates/upgrades in place, latest version of Adobe Reader DC x64 installed etc.

Registry trick worked on my work laptop, had not deployed it on home PC as I was awaiting proper fix.

Interestingly,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Hi there,

The new version 23.08.20555 of Acrobat is now available addressing the fix for the issue.

Please update the application from the help menu > check for updates and reboot the computer once.

You may also download the patch manually from the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Thank you Amal, The AcrobatDCx64Upd2300820555.msp update seems to have fixed the issue.

D. Steele

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 266 Replies 266
Contributor ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set Microsoft Edge as the Default PDF. Uninstalled Adobe Reader DC 64-bit and ran the 64-bit cleanup tool. Restarted the computer. In Explorer I still found Adobe folders in Program Files, Program Files (x86), ProgramData, Users\<username>\AppData\Local, Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow and Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming. Registry Editor also had many references to the Adobe locations left behind after the cleanup tool.

I deleted the folders in Windows Explorer but left the Registry alone.

Restarted the computer and installed Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 64-bit 2023.006.20320. Used the computer for several hour without any errors.

Shut down the computer (Windows 11 Fast Start option is turned on). Later started the computer and within 5 minutes, without doing anything Adobe related the error message popped up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, don't know if this is related to the problem at hand, but I found that in Settings | Apps | Default Apps Adobe Acrobat shows up twice. Each entry has the same set of file types.

Windows Default Apps.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. All of it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

We also had this issue ( + quick print from Outlook not working anymore)

Disabling the new Acrobat seemed to have fixed it for our users

Found the solution on another post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/acrobat-reader-quick-print-not-working/m-p...

Disable.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it for me. Now I have the problem though that all of the menu type is annoyingly too large. sigh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  Annoying error.  Disabling "New Acrobat" stopped it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just kidding - still happening for me.  I do have Windows Thumbnails active also.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Myself and numerous coworkers having this same issue. Quick print (in Outlook 365) and right click-print (in Windows Explorer) are not functioning. The PDFs will print if you manually open the PDF and go to File -> Print, or Ctrl+P. I have disabled the "new Acrobat" for all users, problem remains. We've also used the fixer, done fresh installs numerous times, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what happens when software companies do "updates" without actually testing them.  It wastes a lot of time within organizations - for what?  A nicer looking UI - if it's not broke.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're seeing this on windows with multiple customers and many devices as well for about 2 weeks.
"more information" will lead to 404 not found page on adobe.com and "skip" closes windows without any changes.
Please fix this!

adobe erri.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It helped me to disable the "PDF thumbnail preview in Windows Explorer"

Ra32559924hpe2_0-1695892915072.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same 404 issues, if I use Acrobat set in French 
Need to set it in English to get this link
Troubleshooting Acrobat crash on launch. (adobe.com)
Which won't help anyway...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PierreMrsFr,

The issue has been reported to the team, and they are looking into this.

It would be helpful if you could collect the crash logs and share them for further investigation.

You may collect the crash logs using the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html

Let us know if you need any help.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The collected dump file has a size of 145MB where should I upload it for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Meenakshi Negi for your feedback.
Unfortunately, despite the creation of register key, the dump folder is empty. Maybe because there is no crash, just this ennoying popup..
Nice to heard that you're working on it !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PierreMrsFr At lest you got the folder... I got zilch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 404 page is due the langage settings, and I hope that all non-US users could find this topic, so I'm posting in my natural langage.
L'erreur s'affiche : "Acrobat s'est arrêté de manière innatendue. Cliquez sur "En savoir plus" pour connaitre les solutions possibles"
Il semble que cette erreur soit lièe au generateur de miniature, mais aucune solution n'est encore trouvée. Elle affecte Acrobat Reader et Acrobat Pro.
Je ne suis pas sûr que Adobe travaille pour réparer ce bug, car il ne genere pas de crash ou de freeze.
Esperons que le nombre de plaintes ici fera bouger les choses.

PierreMrsFr_0-1696499158711.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, mistype...(and can't edit previous message). Right word is :
"Acrobat s'est arrêté de manière inattendue"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MeenakshiNegi posted several times about the collection of  Crash Logs.

Method 1: Using the Adobe crash reporter

Screenshot 2023-09-29 114455.jpg

Later the error came and nothing happened. I did not get the Adobe crash reporter.

Method 2: Using Windows error reporting to collect Acrobat/Reader crash dumps

Again, I followed the procedure to add the necessary values to the Windows Registry.

Regedit Screenshot.jpg

The error came and no Crash Dumps were created.

Why is this? I am using Windows 11 Pro 22H2 22621.2361 (64-bit) and Adobe Reader DC 2023.006.20320 (64-bit). I have done these procedures on another computer running Windows 10 with the same results.

Then...

Besides this, following the other troubleshooting steps, I uninstalled Adobe Reader DC and used both Cleanup Tools (AdobeAcroCleaner_DC2021.exe and AcroCleaner_DC2015.zip) since I originally had the 32-bit version which later was automatically upgraded to the 64-bit version. I then installed Adobe Reader DC 2023.006.20320 (64-bit). On first start I got the New Acrobat Experience View. Over the next few days I switched back and forth between the New Acrobat Experience and the Classic. Come today, in Classic I cannot find the "Enable New Acrobat" menu item under the View menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@FuzzyJohn 

in windows, it's under the hamburger menu at the top left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kglad 

It is under the hamberger menu when you are un the New Acrobat.

My problem is that after switching to Classic, where it should be under the View menu, it is no longer there. In the past days it was as I switched back and forth trying to decide which to keep. No it's gone. Maybe it got tired of me not making up my mind fast enough... AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry i got that wrong. (i haven't received the new acrobat yet.)

maybe adobe support can help.  there are 2 ways to contact adobe; chat and twitter:

chat:
use a browser that allows popups and cookies
and click here, https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
in the chat field (lower right), type AGENT
be patient, it can take quite a while to reach a human.

twitter:
tweet @AdobeCare

p.s. if you're contacted by anyone (via email or private message), it's much more likely to be a scammer than an adobe representative. ie, double check for an employee badge if contacted in the forums and look for an adobe.com domain in the email address if you click reply to an email. then check again and be very suspicious. any other method of contacting (or offering to contact you) is almost certainly a scam, https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community-discussions/staying-safe-in-the-adobe-support-com...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a session with Share My Computer with Adobe and they did a lot of stuff none of which worked immediately thereafter. I've tried every fix, but none of it solved the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous. Love to get my annual bill for $225 and then have to deal with error popups every time I open a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was an update that pop up while using Adobe DC. I thought it would solve the problem but it made it worse for me. Previously those quite expectedly prompts appeared but nothing much happened.. it seems i could still use and just close the prompt. NOW Adobe just quit/crash.close/shut whatever you call it without the prompt!  Please guys please, do something, please fix it, please...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines