• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader vs alternative PDF readers for previewing interactive PDFs created in Acrobat Pro

Engaged ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I have never given it much thought much less research alternative PDF readers, being an avid Adobe Acrobat interactive PDF design forms developer for the past 25 years, am I correct in that Adobe Reader is by far the best PDF Reader for previewing all/any reader enabled form features an interactive PDF form designed/developed in Acrobat Pro has to offer? 

TOPICS
PDF forms , Share or review PDFs , View PDF , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @boilermaker73 (aka Purdue alumni)

You are asking on an Adobe forums! My personal opinion is a resounding "YES"!

When we get reports of forms "not working", most often it is because users are not using the free Adobe Acrobat Reader on their devices and are relying on the PDF viewers that came preinstalled.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jane. Glad to hear the 'resounding yes'. Also, good eye. I am a true, diehard Purdue Boilermaker alum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally yes, but not on mobile devices. Unfortunately, the Reader app does not meet Adobe's usually-high standards and many advanced features of PDF files do not work properly in it, such as scripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@try67 

Understood. Have been aware for some time that Adobe has yet to come up with a PDF Reader for mobile devices that works like Adobe Reader on a desktop/laptop computer. This would definitely be a God send for those like myself who design/develop interactive PDF forms that relie on scripts supported by Adobe Reader. Needless to say, many of my clients would be in Heaven.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the meantime I would recommend using the following apps on mobile devices: PDF Expert by Readdle on iOS devices and XODO on Android devices. They provide the best support of scripts currently, although both are far from complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines