• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatically changed all my pdf to open in acrobat. How do I reverse this?

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know I had acrobat installed, it came with an update or something. I don't want it at all but it changed all my normal pdf files to acrobat files which has me confused. How do I change the files back to just displaying PDF instead of an Adobe Acrobat Document? Is there a difference? Can it be fixed by removing Adobe?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , PDF and browsers , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Henry

We are sorry for the trouble. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is a freeware application used for viewing, printing, signing, sharing, and annotating PDFs For more information please look at the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/in/reader/faq.html

You may change the default PDF viewer on your computer as follows

For Mac:

1. Select any PDF file from Finder. Control-click to open the menu.
  2. Choose Get Info from the menu that opens.
  3. From the Open with: section in the new window that opens, select your preferred application, such as Adobe Reader or Preview.
  4. Click the Change All button.

For Windows:

1. Right Click on the PDF file.

2. Go to properties.

3. Under, Open With  Click on 'Change'

4. Select the desired application from the list of applications and click OK.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

somehow I changed all mine to google I want to change all PDF back to adobe how can I change all of them at once?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Please check the steps shared above and see if that works.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

I followed your steps above to convert my adobe pdf back to preview pdf for mac but once I changed 'open with' to 'preview' I now get a message on my Mac saying that the pdf cannot be opened as it is from an unidentified developer. What does this mean and how can I fix it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

Please check the similar discussion, I have found on the Apple support page https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mh40616/mac and see if that works.

You may also try to get in touch with Apple support for more information.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help. When I go to properties, there is not an option to execute #3. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing as above....suddenly Acrobat is opening everything and it is a pain.

I have never optioned it as the 'Open in'  selection...It is nearly always Chrome, sometimes

Word.   What's up here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Henry.  Your answer is insufficient. WHY...Why should I have to go through individually thousands of files to revert back to PDF all those that Adobe without my knowledge or permission swictlltched to Adobe. 

PLEASE COME UP WITH A BETTER ANSWER THAT DOES NOT TAKE HOURS OF MY TIME.  Adobe taketh away, and Adobe should restore....efficiently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

What is the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 23.08.20533 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also try to repair the installation from the help menu (Win Only) and see if that works.

Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...

Let us know how it goes.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines