• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open pdf on Mac

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to view any pdfs with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC on my Mac.  The menu bar shows the file is open (file shows up when click on Windows in the menu bar).  When I right-click on the Reader icon in the Dock and select "show All Windows", my desktop is cleared of all other open programs and I see the open file name and a slice of an icon above the filename.  I can not click to open, enlarge it, etc.  This may be a Mac settings issue vs a Reader issue but either way, I can't figure it out.  I can open the file with Mac's Preview, but I lose not reader.  Thoughts to address?

TOPICS
View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hikenk22709177,

Please let me know the exact dot version of Acrobat Reader DC & OS installed on your Mac?

Try uninstalling & reinstalling Acrobat Reader DC Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution.

Regards,
Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aedesh,

Adobe Acrobat Version 2015.010.20056

Mac is El Capitan Version 10.11.3

I have tried uninstalling & reinstalling Acrobat Reader DC but that did not help.

Thanks,

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aedesh,

I just uninstalled Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Version 2015.010.20056 and installed the older version of Acrobat Reader XI version 11.0.10 and everything is working fine.  I would still like to understand why the newer version won't work.

Thanks,

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kenk22709177,

Are you experiencing this issue with all the PDF files?

Please share the screenshot with us.

Run system in Safe mode & then try opening the PDF files.

Regards,
Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  So frustrating. Wasted hours on this already. Any help is written in such a way its inaccessible to the average computer user. I'm just going to move away from Adobe and get another free PDF viewer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I'm guessing it might be off screen. If you have Tile in the Window menu try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cannot see this option in window menu.  Mac not PC. El Capitan o/s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uninstalled and reinstalled.  Found tile menu - now working but is there a way to prevent having to go to tile menu every time? Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joannem53884488...were you having this problem with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC on a Mac?  And you were able to view by tiling windows?  I thought I had tried that but maybe not. 

I got it to work by installing Acrobat Reader XI version 11.0.10.  Not sure of any advantages of moving to Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did get it to work (eventually) through tile on the window menu.  Once opened I managed to change (most of) the Adobe settings to hide the heavy amount of tools etc shown - I just want to see the document! I can access tools still through the menus as and when I need.

I couldn't find an older version of Adobe to revert back to.  Got there in the end with DC.  Nightmare though.  Rubbish El Capitan Mac operating system didn't help (but need that for the trackpack to be compatible).  2 days of my life I won't get back messing round with Adobe DC and El Capitan. Ggggrrggghh!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2016 Jul 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I've spent hours on trying to figure out why I can't open a pdf in the new Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. I even took my Mac to an Apple technician who told me that this version is not compatible with the latest Mac operating system. (You'd think they would test the app before releasing and wasting our time!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kenk,

Can you please follow the following steps so that we can get the logs which would help us in debugging the issue:-

1. Make sure Reader is closed
  2. Launch Terminal and type the command:  “sudo sample Reader 30  –wait”  .  Enter the password if prompted to. A message will now be shown on terminal “Waiting for Reader to appear”
  3. Double click a pdf and wait for 1 minute
  4. Quit Reader

5. Now data for Reader will be shown in the terminal window. Please copy this entire data into a text file and send it to me at [Moderator: Personal information removed: Switch to private messaging: How Do I Send Private Message ]

Regards,

Varun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the exact same issue. I was wondering if this issue was resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. Opening a pdf file and choosing the option "tile >> vertically" on the window menu seems to have done the trick. So annoying. I also wasted hours on this one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2016 Jul 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're the first to suggest this here. Exactly what is your operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2016 Aug 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I work with a bunch of developers and they cannot even figure out what the issue is. It started when I upgraded to el Capitan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 04, 2016 Sep 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  markm73303750  and briananas,

Can you please let me know if you are still facing this issue at your end?

Alternatively , Can you please try this:

Open a few files with Acrobat, go to Window -> Cascade -> Tile and see if that brings up the PDFs.

Also let us know if you are on a dual monitor system?

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2016 Sep 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the issue. Yes I am using a dual monitor system. Also, the Window -> Cascade -> Tile thing worked. However, if there is a better solution I'd love to hear it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 04, 2016 Sep 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kenk22709177 ,

Can you please let me know if you are still facing this issue at your end?

Alternatively , Can you please try this:

Open a few files with Acrobat, go to Window -> Cascade -> Tile and see if that brings up the PDFs.

Also let us know if you are on a dual monitor system?

Thanks,

Ayush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still can’t launch acrobat!!! Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing the same issue on my Macintosh. Periodically, Acrobat DC refuses to open ANY PDF file. My solution has been to uninstall Acrobat DC, and then reinstall.  This always solves the problem, but it is extremely annoying because Creative Cloud takes a significant amount of time to uninstall and reinstall the software – and of course, this problem never happens at a convenient time.  I would be very happy to hear that Adobe has permanently resolved this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open a PDF on my Mac, there is a blank gray screen. I can't see the document.  The Window -> Cascade -> Tile thing does not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines