Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot resize or move text box or signature

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have an issue with the Fill & Sign feature in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 2019.010.20098 installed OS Windows 10 Home - 64-bit 32GB RAM - all updates installed.

When placing a text box, I cannot manually resize the box, nor can I drag it. Once I place the text box, its stuck. Same goes for the signature box. Once the signature is placed it cannot be resized or moved/dragged. I used to be able to do this, but no more.

The only change I can think of is that I have a new monitor which is UHD 3840x2160 resolution with 150% text scaling.

I have been searching the internet and the forum for a similar problem but have not been able to resolve it.

Any help or tips would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

I had the exact same problem and running the installation repair solved it. Thanky you!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ronald,

As shared, you have got the latest patch of Acrobat installed already. While using Fill & Sign you should be able to move the text box and signature box. As mentioned that you haven't been able to do that, in that case would suggest you to try the following-

• If you have checked this with one document, then do test it with other one . And see if the issue persist with other files too.
  • Open Adobe Reader>help>Run "Installation Repair"
  • Change Sandbox protection under Acrobat>Help>Preferences>Security(Enhanced)>Disable "Protected View" and "Enable Enhanced Security"

Note: Changing the above security settings could pose security risks. We suggest you to turn it back On once you are done with testing

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akanchha,

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried it on several PDF files, and the behaviour is the same. I cannot move or manually resize the text box or signature box.

I have uninstalled and installed the latest version, no change.

I have just run the repair feature and no change.

Thanks

Ronald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ronald,

Just updated step3, seems it wasn't posted correctly. Try disabling that and check again.

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akanchha,

The preferences are under edit, the settings seemed correct but I disabled enhanced security and it doesn't resolve the issue.

No idea what is causing this behaviour.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that it still didn't give any luck.

Once security settings were disabled, don't miss to reboot Acrobat once.

Would you mind sharing any one of the form that you have been trying to fill in Adobe Acrobat Reader?

"You can share the file with us via email. And you can send it to the email address that is shared via private message. Please do mention your forum thread in the subject"

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning, I don't think its form related, because the issue occurs on all docs. I think its application related. As said, it used to work fine, but something changed and I don't know what.

• Could be the new monitor
  • Could be a Windows update
  • Could be an Acrobat Reader bug

I'll send a form anyway, see if you can find anything.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the file Ronald.

I have checked the sample file, and you are correct. There isn't any problem with the document neither its a bug. I was able to add, move replace text and signature box using Fill & Sign on Acrobat Reader version 2019.010.20098 (latest) without any trouble.

Create a "Hidden Administrator" user account following the steps shared below and launch the application in that.

1-Hold the Windows Key while pressing “R” to bring up the Windows Run dialog box.

2-Type: net user administrator /active:yes

3-Press “Enter“.

Replace “yes” with “no” to disable the admin account on the welcome screen.

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Aka,

Apologies for the late reply.

I have followed the instructions and uninstalled the program, ran the cleaner, and then restarted my PC. Installed the program from the link you provided and it did not solve the issue.

When placing a text box, I cannot manually resize the box, nor can I drag it. Once I place the text box, its stuck. Same goes for the signature box. Once the signature is placed it cannot be resized or moved/dragged. I used to be able to do this, but no more.

I also noticed that I cannot drag the cursor to select text, I can only double click and select a sentence.

I think the problem is that I cannot select and drag with the cursor. As mentioned, it used to work fine. Its driving me nut, because I use Acrobat a lot. And would buy a pro version if it solves the issue but I do not wish to pay a subscription.

Not sure how to solve this, but I need this to work for me.

Any other ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

Acro user

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sad to see that you are still struggling with the same issue Ronald.

I also noticed that I cannot drag the cursor to select text, I can only double click and select a sentence

How exactly do you do that? Do you use system's touch pad or Is there an external mouse that's connected to it. May be its settings doesn't let you to drag and move anything.

Can you do the same on any word document? If not tried yet, then open a word doc and try something similar to that.

Also check, whether you got the latest patch installed or not: DC Release Notes — Release Notes for Acrobat DC Products

For testing, once again Navigate to Reader>Edit>Preferences>Security (Enhanced)>disable "Protected Mode at Startup" and "Enhanced Security">OK>Reboot Reader

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I can do anything with my mouse. It works in Word, it works on website text. I use a normal wireless mouse, and have no issues with it, only in Adobe Reader. All the issues happened from one day to the next.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why it doesn't work.

Is there a way to install an older version of reader I can install?

There has to be a way to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

akanchhas  wrote

For testing, once again Navigate to Reader>Edit>Preferences>Security (Enhanced)>disable "Protected Mode at Startup"

That fixed it !!

Thats not the same instruction as in your first post.  So now it works again.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad! it worked for you. Thanks for confirming that.

That's not the same instruction as in your first post.  So now it works again.

As suggested in the first response, disable "Protected View" that's actually part of the "Protected Mode at startup".

As shared, disabling protected mode permanently is not recommended. You may refer to the help article to troubleshoot the Protected mode issue:  Protected Mode troubleshooting | Adobe Reader

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AkanchhaS   In December 2020, your solution solved my issue with Adobe Acrobat DC.   After an Acrobat update, I was unable to move or resize text boxes.   Your suggestion of changing the settings under Preferences - Security (Enhanced) completely resolved the issue.   I searched for hours seeking a solution.  No advice found elsewhere worked.   So, thank you very much.   You saved my day, literally.   Now I can complete my day's work and maybe finally get home before midnight. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same problem and running the installation repair solved it. Thanky you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I know this is old but I was having the same issue and came here for possible solutions.

I figured it out on my end. Here is what I did:

1. Open PDF

2. Click "View"

3. Click "Show/Hide"

4. Click "Rulers and Grids"

5. Make sure "Snap to Grid" is NOT checked

I had turned this on for a project I was doing and forgot to uncheck it. Now that I unchecked it I am able to resize and move text boxes and other comments around the page. Let me know if it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happened to me also. I went to my control panel, programs and features, choose Adobe and chose " repair" then it worked for me after.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm having the same issue described above. I followed all the recommendations and I'm still having the issue. Any new suggestions?

Thanks,

Nina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the issue as well.  I tried on multiple docs and on a MAC and a PC and having this issue on all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having the same issue. I cannot move the signature or resize it once I place it on the docuemnet. I have tried all the instrucitons in the below comments and none of them work. This problem just started and I've never had this issue until now. any guidance would be very much appreicated as I have a lot of work to complete. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Driving me crazy started today

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey update, so if you sign the document placing your signature, you can hit edit PDF, and you can resize the signature box. When you save document, it will be signed read-only as it should be, even though you edited it after placing your signature.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that and it's not working for me, although my colleague is able to do it on her computer. For me, when I hit edit PDF, all the other items/text in the document are editable but my signature is still flattened to the page and is not an editable item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines