• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Document could not be printed

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unable to print numerous different PDFs from a corporate website. Each file has similar header, images, length, appearance. Opening the files online I receive the message "Insufficient data for an image" but the images do appear after I scroll down a bit. They disappear if I scroll up again.  Try to print and this message appears " Document could not be printed". I have tried saving and reopening in Reader 9.1, also printing to file and printing as an image. Nothing works. I think the two issues are connected.  I have seen similar discussions on this and other forums but they seem to lead nowhere.  Can anyone help please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 187 Replies 187
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2010 Apr 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now have AR 9.3.1 For PCand am advised no further updates available.I have tried Foxit and it worked. Removed Foxit and AR and reinstalled AR. At this time all seems OK with AR which is printing well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2010 Apr 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted by Validator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2010 Apr 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much to those of you who suggested downloading the Foxit reader.  After wasting most of the day uninstalling, reinstalling, fixing this that and the other thing and not being able to print after upgrading to AR 9.3, in 10 minutes Foxit was installed and printed like a charm.

I was trying to print a form from the IRS website.  I had done this many times before without a problem.  I knew there was nothing wrong with my printer, drivers, computer or anything else.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2010 Apr 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problems started after installing Flash Player 10 on a PC running Windows 7 and reader 9.3, direct USB printer.

Generally older PDFs print OK but some newer ones crash Windows print spooler.

If I take the files to a machine running XP, Reader 8 and an older flash player they print OK.

I uninstalled Reader 9.3 and installed Reader 8 but the problem did not go away.  I also removed Flash Player but still the same.

If I look in the print spooler I see two files for each print task.  One is a .SHD file of about 2K and the other is a .SPL of about 100K per page.  This is described by Windows as a Shockwave Flash Object.

To get the printer to work I have to delete the contents of the Spool folder and re-start the print spooler.

Any ideas please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2011 Jan 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is my problem too -- did you fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2011 Jan 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have not fixed it. what I do to get around it is when the document is displayed, I print

it as a picture. Terrible that adobe can't fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2011 Jan 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's more bad news: I just ugraded to Acrobat 10/windows and GET THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM! Auuuuggghhhh! Got a call-back to tech support right now. Will keep people advised on a solution, if any.

Update: sitting here waiting for them to call back and fiddling. I opened the layers table of contents and turned off one layer (a text layer surrounding a map). That allowed the document to print, so at least I've isolated the problem. Also, it's a multi-page document generated by a Data Drive Pages export from ArcGIS. I still think it's related to some font not translating well. I also tried to "flatten layers" but it's either hung up doing so or just akes forever -- I let it run 25 minutes before ending the program.

More news as it occurs... .

George

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is DISGRACEFUL that this problem is still festering after so long. (Sorry about the capitals but I'm angry!) It is now SIX YEARS since the original post on this issue..has Adobe said or done anything to help out their p*ssed off customers in that 6 years? We have now got to version Acrobat Reader DC and the problem is still there!!! I've tried most of the solutions mentioned here but nothing works. Used to be able to print with Reader DC, now no .pdf files will print. Everything else prints fine.

It's ridiculous that to print out Adobe Reader DC documents, saved in Adobe Reader DC format, I have to use another program!

Is anyone reading this at Adobe? Does anyone at Adobe care?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2015 Aug 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave_oz,

Try this, I tried them all and didn't work for me but it might for you. Of course since i am printing to a network printer i knew better on the printer items. Error "The document could not be printed" when you print from Acrobat or Reader (6.0 and 7.0 on Wind...

After that i did a repair from help in adobe reader in which i found that i was missing the data1.cab under C:\ProgramData\adobe\setup\{ac76a86"abunch of numbers here}. So i unistalled and installed it again from Ninite.com. Which fixed my problem, i know its not the best solution but try it out.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2010 Apr 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had already tried most of the recomendations.  Just in case I dwonloaded the latest install for the Adobe Reader but still the same.

As I said previously there is only a problem with more recent PDF's.  To be more specific I receive orders and enquiries as scans and documents converted to PDF's from some of the worlds major oil companies and it is ONLY those created within the last three weeks that have caused problems.  I would like to attach one but I am not allowed.

My problem has been fixed by installing Foxit but now I have the problem that I cannot uninstall Adobe because some of the files are in use by the Windows system.

I hate Windows 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2010 Apr 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A permanent and definite fix for this issue, we can Re-create the Acrobat preferences files and this will definately resolve this issue.

For Mac:

1. Quit Acrobat.
  2. Drag the following files from the Users/[Username]/Library/Preferences folder to the Desktop:
    • Acrobat WebCapture Cookies
    • Com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro_ppc_9.0.plist or com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro_x86_9.0.plist
    • Acrobat Distiller Prefs and com.adobe.distiller8.plist (If you are troubleshooting an issue with Distiller.)
    • The Acrobat folder, which contains preferences for forms (MRUFormsList), collaboration (OfflineDocs), and color settings (AcrobatColor Settings.csf)
  3. Restart Acrobat.

For Windows:

1. Quit Acrobat.
  2. In Windows Explorer, go to c:\Documents and Settings\ [User Name] \Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\9.0 folder and move the Preferences folder to another location (for example, C:\Temp).
  3. Launch Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed info.

I need one more bit of help.

The folders that you reference for Windows 7 are locked in my computer and I have not figured out how to unlock them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While reading several kb articles, I found none of them to be helpful.

Especially this one: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403914.html

They make things way to complicated.

In our case, we noticed that Standard 9 was saving documents so that when the print option was select the default option selected for Comments and Forms was, "Documents and Markups."

Simply changing this setting to "Documents," as with all previous version of Adobe resolved our printing printing problems.

Hope this is helpful for all of banging your head against the wall like we were.

-Hunter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2010 Apr 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I only have XP on the PC and Vista on a laptop. Sorry can't assist with

windows 7

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2010 Apr 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Mines OK now, just don't know what I did.

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 01, 2010 Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with Vista not printing pdf.   installed Foxit Reader from foxitsoftware.com which open pdfs and prints without any prolbems.  Interesting Adobe are not saying anything about this problem.  Similar error reported http://forums.adobe.com/thread/642000?tstart=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2010 Jun 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im very happy you goy iy together!. hope this alos me to donw load flas point 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2010 Dec 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far so good!  Your instructions have worked for my iMac 10.6.5 running Acrobat Professional 8.2.5.  I never had trouble with Reader.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2011 Jan 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe Adobe hasn't done something about what seems a widespread problem across several platforms and Adobe products. I just started have this problem and have tried several of the solutions offered here:

making sure I was registerd & repair didn't work nor did eliminating the Preferenes folder. Printing as image DID work but not a great solution.

I am running Acrobat Pro 9.x on Windows 7 x64. The problem only started recently and seemed to occur only with documents of multi-layers of data (ArcGIS export to PDF maps). Other documents printed fine. It seemed to be a problem of incompatible fonts, but I don't know for sure, only that several of the documents gave me an error message on open that some of the fonts may not print correctly. I'm on a network printer, burt also tried to print with a direct USB connection from my computer. Same errors ("could not pint -- Drawing error occured).

I don't know which is more irritating, the problem (though solved by print as image) or Adobe not respoinding to such a long-running thread.

Grrrrrrrr.

Has anyone started a ticket on this?

George

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 27, 2010 Apr 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having tried a couple of the suggestions here (reinstalling, repairing and using foxit)

I was able to get around the problem by going to my "advanced" settings when I selected "print".

(Your printer driver may not have this option.)

Under this setting, I have the option to print as "image".

This works. Quality isn't thrilling, but in a pinch it may be adequate.

Please note that I also have to return to the print settings and turn this option off when I'm done printing. I don't want this as a default for quality reasons.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 15, 2010 Jun 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this intensely annoying issue with saving AI files as PDF's.  Nothing would print from Acrobat!!!  After a few hours of trying everything... I FIXED IT w/o reinstalling anything! 

It seems to be a font issue.  I went through and expanded every instance of every font to a vector object until it worked.  I eventually narrowed my particular issue to the font 'Didot'.

THE SOLUTION (for illustrator CS4 to pdf):

Remove, rasterize or expand all instances of every different font until it works...

There may be a way of handling embedded fonts that is more elegant...

My setup:

Mac Pro 2006, OS X 10.5.8, CS4.  The font Didot was stored in "Library/Fonts/Didot.dfont"  - maybe it's the ".dfont" extension?

Cheers,

Dan

www.ilove4d.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2010 Aug 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

This problem is typically caused to another piece of software being installed that has some kind of PDF functionality.  Internet Explorer starts looking for DLLs that it cannot find, and generates the error.  The best method for fixing this problem is to copy some of the Adobe Reader's DLLs into and Internet Explorer directory.  Below is what I use in a batch file to fix the problem with Adobe Reader 9 on Windows XP:

REM HOT FIX FOR IE and adobe

copy /y "%PROGRAMFILES%\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\ACE.dll" "%PROGRAMFILES%\Internet Explorer\ACE.dll"

copy /y "%PROGRAMFILES%\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AGM.dll" "%PROGRAMFILES%\Internet Explorer\AGM.dll"

copy /y "%PROGRAMFILES%\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\BIB.dll" "%PROGRAMFILES%\Internet Explorer\BIB.dll"

copy /y "%PROGRAMFILES%\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\BIBUTILS.dll" "%PROGRAMFILES%\Internet Explorer\BIBUTILS.dll"

copy /y "%PROGRAMFILES%\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\JP2KLIB.dll" "%PROGRAMFILES%\Internet Explorer\JP2KLIB.dll"

The above may not display correctly in the forum, so note that each line of your batch file should start with copy and end with dll".

Hope this helps you all.  It took much testing to get this figured out.  As I'm sure everyone has found, it is next to impossible to find the fix for this.  As a side note, we have tested this same solutions with other versions of Adobe Reader and Windows, so modify the above to suit you needs.

Good luck!

Tod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2010 Sep 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having this problem in 10.6.4 on a Mac Pro and CS5 Design Premium version of Acrobat Pro.

My only solution appears to be "print using Apple Preview."

Great marketing, guys. Really top-notch.

Preview worked, though. It never occurred to me to use it as a PDF printer. Quality seems slightly worse, but what can you do? Slightly soft text and images are better than blank sheets of paper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2010 Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all the solutions in this post and still NO JOY! What's next? When will Adobe

be coming out with Adobe reader 10.0 to finally acknowledge and fix the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 14, 2010 Sep 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, you will never be able to print pdfs using adobe reader, because adobe reader is just to read the pdfs, you need acrobat to print the pdfs, there will b no use of waiting for reader 10 even it will also not print, you can download acrobat trial (30 days) and then try printing pdfs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines