• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fill & Sign - 'The operation failed because Adobe Acrobat encountered an unknown error.'

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to save the PDF with initials and signatures it throws up the error, 'The operation failed because Adobe Acrobat encountered an unknown error' and then gets rid of the signature attempt.

Anyone else encountering this issue trying to add initials and signatures in Adobe Reader DC on Windows 10? Getting the same error on two PCs, fresh installs of Adobe Reader.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a Windows specific error, Foxit Reader had no problems adding signatures, the drawing was smoother than in Adobe Reader too. 'Solution' for anyone else that has the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2017 Jul 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lazybum131,

We apologize for the delay in response to your query and sorry to hear the inconvenience caused to you.

I assume you might have experienced this problem with a specific file? If not, then do let us know.

For the particular file on which you are working currently, you may try recreating the PDF by choosing File > Print (select Adobe PDF as the printer) and then edit the file.

Let us know if this work around doesn't help.

Regards,

Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same exact issue. This "work around" does not work, either. I would agree with the person above who asked why they keep paying for this glitchy program. GRRRRRRRRRRR....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion but it didn't work for me neither.  Please help as this feature is essential for the work I do.

Thanks,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The work-around worked for me when using PDFCreator to generate a new PDF file.

Regards,

Ole

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"recreating the PDF by choosing File > Print (select Adobe PDF as the printer) and then edit the file".

It was very helpful to me.

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work for me either. When I try to export as PDF it says this feature not available. Same issues as everyone else. Horrible program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Z I'm trying to get some of my documents off my drive from the government and my benefits and it said Adore Me Or I need a flash downloading but not open them also a card that was sent to me that I need to e-sign and they said I couldn't sign for it because I wasn't signed up for any of this could you please help me Macomb County Michigan Macomb government benefits for my Gmail account thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, it worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me thank you for you help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe.... Nothing? Clearly the workaround only works for some people!

It's definitely something in the file, cause I can add images/sign other pdf documents. But exporting or 'printing' from an excel file creates a pdf that won't allow me to sign. Sadly, I really REALLY have to find a solution because it is the expected delivery (printing it out, signing, scanning and then sending is not only tedious but also would require a printer/scanner - which I have no access to).

Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Iman,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. Please check for any pending updates of Acrobat or Reader you are using to use the Fill&Sign feature from help>check for updates, reboot the machine after installing the updates and see if this brings any difference.

Try signing the PDF using the URL https://cloud.acrobat.com/fillsign on a browser like Chrome or Firefox, or Safari and see if you still get the error message.

Also, If you are using Acrobat or Reader, Launch Acrobat/Reader>click Edit>Preferences>under Security (Enhanced).

Uncheck the box next to Enable Protected Mode at startup > click OK > relaunch Reader and try again.

Note: Disabling protected mode is for the troubleshooting purpose only. Please turn the feature back on when troubleshooting is complete.

Have you tried with other PDF or is it specific to one PDF file?

The record shows that you are subscribed to Creative Cloud Individual membership, If the issue, persists, I will request you to contact the technical support team so that they can investigate on this and can provide you a resolution Contact Customer Care

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks the cloud reader worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is it 2019 and we're still having this issue? I get the same error message when trying to add a signature to the signature page. Every other page of the document it works fine on. But it's utterly useless if I can put a signature on the signature page.  Please tell me there's a known fix for this by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree!! Up until March 31, 2019, Fill & Sign worked seamlessly for me. As soon as April 1 rolled around it didn't work. Is Adobe attempting to get everyone to purchase a subscription in order to sign tax documents??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. This is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This changes the document to a HTML and when you send it to someone else they have to log in Adobe cloud.. We need a PDF version!!  Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working correctly. I uploaded to the cloud and was able to sign the document and download it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe,

I am an IT Tech and this issue is going on with one of my users. Your work around worked, but these people are Coders, and this is a long step and takes time. Do you all not have any other fixes?
I did the edit security preferances and unprotect, I even did the Protection and remove hidden items.

Did check for updates - rebooted 
Still not able to get this user to be able to put a signature in with out getting this error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shocking is it :-). I love that this is still going on, and they just keep
taking monthly cloud fees. No one cares. Happy weekend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im using latest desktop free version of reader. i need to download pdf's from email, sign them and send back. this error occurs for some pdf files not all. please help me understand the cause of the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve encountered this problem for the first time today. I have a Mac desktop version (not cloud), and the workarounds don’t work. I have no option of contacting “Customer Care,” so I’m screwed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same error message for me!

I've tried different files and it's the same error. I can neither fill nor sign.

The cloud option worked, https://cloud.acrobat.com/fillsign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines