• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I remove the right hand pane in Reader DC (LOCKED)

Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I remove the right hand pane (export pdf, create pdf, edit pdf, etc.) on Reader DC?  It takes up a quarter of my screen and I never use that stuff!

Thanks for your help!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

The July 2015 Acrobat & Reader DC update introduced a UI change for the right-hand pane. Now when you launch Acrobat/Reader DC, it will retain the last state (collapsed or open) of the tools in the Right-Hand Pane. You can find more details on this page

Acrobat Help | New features summary.

Edit: Just to clarify in Reader DC, it's a Preference located under Edit > Preferences > Documents "Open Tool pane for each document".

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 163 Replies 163
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2015 Jul 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Just so you know, I moved the files into "Dumb Apps". And it still works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's difficult for me to imagine something more useless than a sidebar sucking up screen space when that sidebar is rarely, if ever used. However, I am confident that Adobe has their brightest designers and programmers hard at work to guarantee an even more useless experience in the next release.

It's a shame I only have to partially hide some presentation files in order to gain back that space. Adobe, you really should add some kind of flash ad layover on every PDF that opens just so the product repulsion is 100% effective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, Adobe are doing more with HTML5 these days. I think the repulsive overlay could be done in Javascript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Props to HHugo! Your solution is perfect. (https://forums.adobe.com/message/7544218#7544218)

This is the *last* Adobe software I will ever purchase. They have walked away from the market/users. I just don't get the need to save screen space with the new UI, and then stick this stupid strip on the right side. Actually, I don't get the need to save screen space at all. In the last 5 years my screen has grown 4-6" and I now have two of them. Vent over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rename these three folders under C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader   works for me (windows 10 x64)

AcroApp

plug_ins

plug_ins3d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ppl, close the pane manually ang go to: Edit-Preferences- Category(Documents)  and unchek "Open tools pane for each document"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This apparently works for windows. Not for Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, eliop*, that works on my Lenovo Yoga. Will try on machine at home later.

Why hasn't Adobe been able to provide this answer since the question first arose?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome. I'm glad I could help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone I tried all the solutions here and nothing worked for me (maybe I just didn't understand how) BUT.... guess what I have been investigating and voila! SHIFT F4 easy and it works!!!!! SHIFT F4

If I can do it you can too!!! have to do it each time but at least its easy to do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

actually its fixed for good now!!  assumed I would have to do SHIFT F4 each time but I just tested on 4 docs and they all opened perfectly. I am so happy!! Finally the pane is gone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice.. thank you.. now if I could just move the top ribbon to the side..

Still, with all the ribbons turned off.. this is the closest Adobe has gotten in years to giving me the experience from before 10. Definitely a huge improvement!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2015 Oct 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select pdf file in finder. command-i, select "Preview" and click "change all." Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why hasn't this broken feature been fixed yet? I demand to know when it will be repaired. This garbage now makes using Adobe Acrobat Reader not even worth it. I hate you for ruining this program. Yes, you have ruined it. You have made it completely unusable. The arrogance, the hubris, the sheer viciousness you display for your users is on full display by your continued refusal to fix the space-wasting pane.

This is disgraceful beyond belief. And there is no easy way to turn it off - none of the helpful suggestions created by other users are working for me. Thank you other users...no thanks to you, worthless Adobe employees, who have suggested nothing and done nothing to repair this abomination. This intolerable situation can not stand.

Do you people even use your own software? Do you enjoy looking at a worthless space-wasting bar every time you try to read a document? Probably not, probably you don't read documents. You probably don't use your own software. You hate text, ebooks, and words. You probably sit at Starbucks all day on lunch breaks, staring at tumblr or instagram instead of doing your job, which is to pay attention to your users and fix your horribly broken software.

I will never willing use or purchase an Adobe product again. Never. How you stay in business is beyond me. It is clear you actually hate your users and are trying to make them stop using your products. Seriously, your entire marketing, usability, product testing and product design teams have failed completely to address a glaring problem with your flagship product. Whatever genius designed this useless, laggy broken tool should be deported from Planet Earth.

How do you live with yourselves? How can you in good conscience cash a paycheck knowing that you are failures who work on a product that you broke and refuse to fix? How can you sleep at night, knowing that your contribution to human history has been to destroy a once fine piece of software with your arrogance and pride?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But wait, it gets worse.

In the first forum I went to, Mr. Jon Perera, Vice President, Adobe Document Cloud, told us that, "if you close it, it will remain closed when you open it next."

Um...no, Jon. It doesn't. It would seem that you've never actually used the product that you get paid for selling.  Go ahead and try it for yourself. We'll wait.

Didn't work? Welcome to our world.

I don't mean to pick on Mr. Perera (well, yeah, actually I do. He's telling us an untruth either on his own behalf or that of his corporate masters. But, hey...everybody's gotta get paid, right?)

Because, as I said: It gets worse. If you look at the top half of that toolbar, you'll notice that it's all about paying Adobe more money to export or convert PDFs to other formats, for which we have to pay them more. We can bitch, but it's pretty clear that this toolbar is there to urge us to pay the company more money, not to make our experience as a customer more useful. Not that there's anything wrong with that if it's win/win, but this is clearly all about them.

Because, here's the thing: As I said, it gets worse.

For the first time ever, I had a PDF I absolutely had to convert to another format, so I paid. Abode debited my bank account within two hours. For the next three days, every time I tried to convert, it brought me back to the sales page that said, "You've got to give us money to do that. Choose how much you want to pay and sign up."

Finally, I had an extensive online chat with an employee. Summary:

Me: I signed up to and paid to to do this. Attached is the bank record that proves that you took my money so that I could. But every time I try, you tell me to pay again.

Adobe: We have no record of this transaction. We also have no record of any account in your name, email address or bank account.

Me: If I didn't sign up, how did you get my bank information and why did you take my money for?

Adobe: We can't explain that.

It's all so contemptuous of us. So third-rate.

PS. I found here a workaround for Windows. Anybody got one for Macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stevekallaugher wrote:

PS. I found here a workaround for Windows. Anybody got one for Macs.

Just use Mac Preview.

There are many other pdf viewers/editors out there. Instead of going through all this "torture", just use one of them.

(BTW, I can get rid of the toolbar using the advice given to you by Mr. Jon Perera. You ARE using the very latest update to Adobe Acrobat DC, correct?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a simple solution to the problem.  Uninstall "Adobe Reader DC" and re-install the old "Adobe Reader".  If you don't have the old version you can get it from here  Adobe - Adobe Reader : For Macintosh.  I can understand that Adobe wants to promote their new features, but if they get too pushy about it then I will just stick to the older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anybody know if there is a way to deploy this software WITHOUT this setting "Open Tool pane for each document"?

I have looked at the "Acrobat Customization Wizard DC", but this option isn't included (yet?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was perhaps not intended as an reply to my question, but if it was, it is an "invalid answer".

I would like to deploy this software to our many hundreds of users, and do NOT want to support everyone asking how to get rid of this Tools panel.

And the statement that it remembers the last state is also incorrect in my case.

The Tools panel is open on every single PDF document I open, no exeption, unless I go into settings and remove "Open Tool pane for each document".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2015 Nov 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, just uncheck that box in "Edit preferences" - then when you open up another PDF,

--- click on the little arrow of the tool pane (half way down on the "left side" of the tools pane) - to collapse the tools pane. You can open it up again at will after that...

Next time you open docs in Adobe Reader aka DC (2015.009.20069), the tools pane will be closed.

Worked for me at any rate...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2015 Nov 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying, but this is kind a time consuming if I have to do this on 300 computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

presuming you are managing Windows computers, you should create a .cmd file that can be executed during session opening.

It's very easy with group policies and Windows AD.

Content of this file:

reg add "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\AVGeneral" /f /t REG_DWORD /v bExpandRHPInViewer /d 0

reg add "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\AVGeneral" /f /t REG_DWORD /v bRHPSticky /d 1

And if you have enough rights on local machines, you can modify the destination:

reg add "\\REMOTE_PC\HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\AVGeneral" /f /t REG_DWORD /v bExpandRHPInViewer /d 0

reg add "\\REMOTE_PC\HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\AVGeneral" /f /t REG_DWORD /v bRHPSticky /d 1

That's all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Steinage, yes, sorry about that.

I obviously did not follow your specific thread deep/far enough back - did not realize you were a fellow overseer of tech and was looking for a more broader resolution than a single desktop.

Again, sorry about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines