• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I restore the PDF menu bar (File-Edit-View)? [2020]

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I restore the PDF menu bar (File-Edit-View)?

[Thread locked. See last post for reasons.]

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Hi!

I hope you are doing well!!

If you want to restore the Menu bar on a Windows machine, then press the "F9" key from the keyboard. 

On Mac, press the combination of: "Command + shift + M"

Let us know if you still experience any issues.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

@Bernhard22329323q07i wrote:

the document title and 'min - max - x' tools disappears all the time. 

Is this in all PDFs or just some?

I'm asking because the creator can set the Initial View to hide the toolbar when the document is opened. F9 will bring it back while the file is open, but not when it's re-opened This can't be changed in the free Reader.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Hi Bernhard22329323q07i and SB Uses AAReader,

Sorry about the delay in response.

Please try removing the application from the machine and run the cleaner tool (https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html) to ensure. Reboot the device after that.

Install the latest version of Acrobat Reader from the following help page: https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/.

If the issue still occurs, share the process logs with us. You may collect the process logs using the steps

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi, sorry for the delay in responding.

See video.

My first mention of this problem is December 2021, but I remember it annoyed me for a long time. So it's maybe 2 years now.
1 year ago I build a new computer, new clean windows 10, and hoped the problem was gone, but it started again immediately. Sick! 

I recorded it with my phone. Hope it explains something.

And sort of by accident I noticed right at the end of the film, that resizing on the spot of the X (top right corner) allows me to close it.  

But as you may notice, I don't use Acrobat as standard program anymore because of this BUG. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi

I am experiencing exactly the same behavior as @Bernhard22329323q07i's posted video.

windows OS details:

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎2022/‎09/‎07
OS build 19044.2251
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

adobe version: continuous release | Version 2023.001.20143 | 64-bit

this happened when i upgraded to a new PC, 2022/‎09/‎07.

hope this helps.

I would like to know if there's a previous Adobe version i  can test out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Meenakshee  as well as @Bernhard22329323q07i  i resolved the (my) dissappearing min/max/close menu bar. I used a third party Uninstaller removing everything adobe related on the pc. I then instlled whT appears to be a new version. It works as intended which is rock solid and consistent. There may have been a lil gremlin in one of the registry files left behind when doing a normal uninstall... Hope this helps others. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SB Uses AAReader , now I am curious WHICH third party Uninstaller you used? 
I may give that a try too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sure @Bernhard22329323q07i , it is called REVO uninstaller

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bernhard22329323q07i and SB Uses AAReader,

Sorry about the delay in response.

Please try removing the application from the machine and run the cleaner tool (https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html) to ensure. Reboot the device after that.

Install the latest version of Acrobat Reader from the following help page: https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/.

If the issue still occurs, share the process logs with us. You may collect the process logs using the steps suggested on the help page: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html.

Let us know if the issue is resolved.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MeenakshiNegi , I have tried the offical looking Uninstaller, but that did not do the job.

When I have time (hopefully soon) I will try Revo, as mentioned above. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally don't like the new version .... I found what I needed in the hamburger menu .... but I would prefer to have the menu bar as previous versions did ... but this doesn't seem to be an option, as if I download an old version ... it either doesn't work or I'm forced to upgrade to the latest version .... which for some people less is good ... but why not give people an option to stay with the old view or switch to the new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the Menu Options hamburger at the top left of the screen when in Acrobat Reader, or open it by typing Alt+F. Click on Disable new Acrobat Reader. Click on Restart Acrobat Reader. It will open and typing F9 will show or hide the Menu Bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F9 does absolutely nothing. I had to reinstall Acrobat (I'm using Creative Cloud), and their "new" version has removed the ability to navigate, view pages and so on. There's no file menu, no view menu - just "Edit", "Convert" and "Sign". I'm paying for Creative Cloud, but each new update of every product seems to remove more and more functionality. I've had to resort to GIMP instead of Photoshop, and now I can't easily use Acrobat either. Why is Adobe doing this??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. it almost seems like you describe the new mantra:  Less is more. 
I moved to using Foxit PDF Reader as standard tool for PDF, because Acrobat irritated me too much. So sorry to say, for Acrobat Reader used to be perfect for reading. Now it's annoying.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF menu bar is gone: I am having the same problem as discussed here. f9 doesn't work and fn/f9 doesn't work. I can click on Menu at the top left, but then I am searching and going through way too many steps to find whatever I am looking for. I'd like the menu bar back, but nothing mentioned here is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the menu bar in the upper left corner, then select Disable New Acrobat Reader. Then you can press F9 to toggle the menu bar on or off as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! That worked!

Warm regards,
Kerri-Ann Prince

[P.I removed by Moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2023 Dec 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does indeed work - but I fail to understand the commercial reason behind Adobe launching a new version that is unusable, but saying "it's OK, you can disable it". Why go to the effort of bringing out a new version if you need to disable it to do anything useful?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F8 and F9 don't work on the "new Acrobat" in 2023. You need to select the Menu hamburger menu in the top left, then choose "Disable New Acrobat".  Yay, the menu comes back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
By @Tech-nol wrote in 2020

This thead was started in 2020 and things have changed. The New Experience was introduced in March 2023 for some users. Newer posts in this thread are questioning earlier replies that were correct when they were posted. This thread is now locked. Please find a current thread or start a new thread for your issue so we can better assist. Thank you!

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/whats-new/2023-march.html

janee_0-1705936928476.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines