• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Stop PDFs From Opening When Saved via MS Word/Excel

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded the latest version of Adobe Reader (18.011.20040) on my new computer. I create files all the time through Microsoft Word and Excel. When I save these files as PDFs, Adobe Reader automatically opens. I do not want that to happen. I simply want it to save as a PDF and go on with my life. How do I stop it from opening automatically?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

That won't be a setting in Reader. It will be in Word.

If you are using Words pdf generator, after using Save as>pdf, deselect the box that says "Open file after publishing". If you are using "Save as Adobe PDF" choose the box that says "View result".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

I found a solution to the PDF file opening in Chrome immediately after download:

1. Open Chrome Settings
  2. Expand Advanced
  3. Select Downloads
  4. Select Clear next to "Open certain file types automatically after downloading"
    • If you don't see this, your browser was not set to "Always open with system viewer"
  5. Go to Privacy and security
  6. Expand Site Settings
  7. Click on PDF Documents
  8. Make sure Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome is enabled.

I don't use other browsers enough to verify these

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was happening to me when I did Save As from Chrome.

From Chrome go to Settings under the Hamburger menu
Advanced
Site Settings
Additional Content Settings
PDF Documents
Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome - Turn ON

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change this when you are saving the document as a PDF. When the Save As box pops up, there will be a checked box for Open file after publishing.  Uncheck that box to fix the problem.  Press Save and the issue should be fixed for any future Save As PDF documents. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem withAdobe opening.PNG Adobe program opening but this happens when I do a quick print from Outlook email.  I would love not to have to close the window everytime I quick print.  Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did all this that was suggested or at least tried some of it but my chrome options are not the same as suggested here. What else can I do? Its getting so annoying for every scan to open up right after scanning. HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've tried this and it didn't work, go to control panel > hardware & sound > Devices & printers, choose Adobe PDF printer, right-click, printing properties, and uncheck "view adobe PDF results", hit ok.

ss.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. This was the only thing that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want pdf's to stop opening automatically, in any way, when I only want to download and save. Someone can fix my issue I appreciate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing is happening to me now. I can't find any answer anywhere. When I download a PDF which I do all day long for work it automatically opens now. This just started for me along with an error every time I close the PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open PDF, go to Menu > Preferences > General > Open PDFs automatically in reader when they are downloaded in chrome browser (uncheck the box)

Raypeng_1-1702692927450.png

Raypeng_2-1702693007495.png

Hope this help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you oh thank you oh thank you ... it has stopped popping open ... now I can work properly!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an account for the sole purpose of thanking you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the Solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS A LOT ..THIS IS VERY USEFUL 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sir! You saved acrobat from a million cursed words. =D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can uncheck the option of "View Adobe PDF results" in Acrobat's Preferences by navigating to Acrobat ribbon in Word>Preferences>Uncheck "View Adobe PDF result">Click Ok, Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works fine until I get an automatic update for my Acrobat software.
It then defaults back to the view Adobe PDF results again and I have to
uncheck it again. So frustrating. Is there a way to permanently uncheck
view Adobe PDF results?

Charlie
E-mail from:

Charlie Grimes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Click on Menu (top left) > Preferences > General and tick off 

Shobhit35422090aig1_0-1707814685842.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

open adobe acrobat app on your windows pc

go to prefrences(ctrl+K) ==> General ==> uncheck the setting for 'Open PDFs automatically in Reader when they are downloaded in Chrome browser" ==> DONE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, for anyone having a similar problem in 2024, here's the steps if PDF keeps opening the documents you download on chrome:

1- open PDF and go to the top left menu

2- go to the tab labeled "general" 

3- untick the box that states "open PDFs automatically in reader when they are downloaded in chrome browser. 

Hope this helps or at least saves some time for someone out there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Open Adobe reader; Menu> Preferences> General> Deselect "Open PDFs automatically in Reader when they are downloaded in Chrome browser"> Scroll down click Okay (if you dont do this, it will not save the new setting)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines