• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't print a pdf file. I can print a word file, but not a pdf file. Can you help?

May 08, 2015 May 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't print a pdf file.  I can print a word file, but not a pdf file. Can you help?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 08, 2015 May 08, 2015

A few things to try.

Go to Edit>Preferences>Documents and set PDF/A mode to "Never"

Then go to Edit>Preferences>Security (enhanced) and deselect "Enable protected mode at startup.

If that doesn't work, you can always try selecting "Print as image" in the advanced print dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version or Reader?

Are you printing from a browser or Reader itself?

Operating System?

What steps are you taking to print?

What exactly is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here and just started doing it days ago.

I have windows 7, reader XI and when attempting to print, given a "no document selected" from adobe. All other docs print.

Hep me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few things to try.

Go to Edit>Preferences>Documents and set PDF/A mode to "Never"

Then go to Edit>Preferences>Security (enhanced) and deselect "Enable protected mode at startup.

If that doesn't work, you can always try selecting "Print as image" in the advanced print dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! Thank you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did one or the other work or did you have to do all three? Just curious if one particular thing worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the first two

In a message dated 5/8/2015 4:02:37 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

forums_noreply@adobe.com writes:

I can't print a pdf file. I can print a word file, but not a pdf file.

Can you help?

created by ~graffiti (https://forums.adobe.com/people/~graffiti) in

Acrobat Reader - View the full discussion

(https://forums.adobe.com/message/7527100#7527100)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me until i went back in and deselected "enable enhanced security". I could then print but i'm not sure about being less secure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both methods worked. First, I printed as image. Then I went back and set the PDF/A mode to Never, and it printed! Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Thank you so much. I need to explain a bit the background to my problem regarding this issue. Never before I faced this issue that my printer can print Word and Excel files but not pdf. The problem surfaced when I had to replace the motherboard of my printer. I am not a technical person and I do not understand why a change of the motherboard would alter my printer ecology. But your instructions were clear and I followed them step by step and finally, my printer printed a pdf document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Worked for me!  Yeah!  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem. It was resolved when I went file > print > advanced, and then un-ticked the 'print to file' box down the bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works if you have a completely different problem than what we are discussing here.

Your fix is good if Reader is trying to print to a file instead of a printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks, that worked for me. But just in case it helps others can I give my "confusing" method.

I went through all the options you give and they didn't work first time. So I rechecked them again and this time it asked me to restart the program.

The only difference I did then was to find the file in question, direct from file manager, right clicked, selected print and off it worked !!! Obviously it loaded Adobe to achieve it.

I'm not suggesting this specific route solved it. That was due to your suggestions and the resulting reload. But it felt good !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you graffiti - it worked - I want to have your baby - that's just a term of endearment - I'm a guy - but thanks very much for sharing your knowlege and wisdom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution need to enable the TCP/IP printing on the server side.  After the TCP/IP printing is enabled on windows printer server, connect the printer using lpr protocol by creating a lpr port on the client side, entering the server's IP address, queue name is the printer name on the server, and use the port on the client side as the printer port.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(I am writing this in case another user encounters the exact same issue which I encountered with a particular PDF.)

I changed PDF/A mode to "Never" and disabled protected mode at startup as ~graffiti recommended.  However, I also had to change 'Comments & Forms' to "Document" from "Document and Markups" in order to resolve the printing issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these worked for me.  Possibly, the problem has to do with View Documents in PDF/A mode.  I can change it to never, but it won't stay that way.  As soon as I exit Preferences, it goes back to Only for PDF/A documents.  Any other help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, when I try to print as image, I get a message from Adobe Acrobat saying that The Document Could Not be Printed.  HELP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Tried everything recommended above and still get an error that the document cannot be printed. Has anyone found a fix for this. Unistalling and reinstalled did not fox the issuse either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a setting in windows actually - search for Default Apps and open, select "Set defaults by app" at the bottom on the right then select  the Adobe product you actually have installed and click Manage -  Ensure that all default app spots are filled - namely the .acrobatsecuritysettings, but they all need to be set to the adobe product you actually have installed.  You may need to close and re-open Adobe - but it should now print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Changed the laptop brand from lenovo to Dell and now certain PDF documents can print and others cant,I am on windows 11,Updated printer firmware and still cant print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you make those changes  on the printer preferences or computer side?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked oh my god I have spent 5 hours on it trying from updating firmware to drivers to everything this worked as of 27/02/24 thanks a lot of graffiti 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines