• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LOW QUALITY OF ADOBE PDF READER vs OTHER VIEWS

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed for over a decade that Adobe PDF viewer has a much lower quality than other views, also my clients have complained, so I advise them to use a different viewer, is there a fix to improve the Adobe PDF viewer , see attached snapshot for example of quality difference.

Note the low quality of the fill, and also the low quality of the vertor lines which look choppy.

eg. of quality, screenshots of Foxit and Adobe pdf viewerseg. of quality, screenshots of Foxit and Adobe pdf viewers

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

My dear wife has found the sollution after all these years!

CNTR+K to get to settings DISPLAY>RENDERING, and make sure SMOOTH IMAGES is checked!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share a sample PDF file, and explain in detail how you're creating it, and using what settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have included an example as a photo also as an attachment.

WRT creating a pdf, I usually get the worst results when ceating from CorelDraw as the image attached will indicate.

Settings-I have tried all possible settings, and several pdf creators.

I can't upload pdfs, but if you want to see it in pdf format here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oB-PfMsu4Ki6U3UTN-XJ4ods8vJKivDT/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just the same graphic that's above in your first post but now in a PDF, rather than a PDF of an actual document. Doesn't help us diagnose what's happening.

There are several things that can cause poor screen rendering:

• How the PDF was made from the authoring program. Usually File / Export and then choose your settings/options carefully to produce the best quality for your needs.
  • The authoring program itself and what PDF-making utility it has, and how compliant that PDF utility is with the International ISO PDF Standards. Some tools make better PDFs than others, and usually Adobe's are the best.
  • Are you viewing the PDF at the same % screen enlargement in both Acrobat and FoxIt?
  • Have you adjusted any of the preference settings in Acrobat?

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1-I have tried all possibilities, I have been battling with this issue for over a decade.

The issue is endemic to both Visio and CorelDraw which I use the bulk of the time.

2-Yes I am comparing both views at same % zoom level.

3-Yes I have tried adjusting preferences for Acrobat Reader, but it won't help, I don't care if I can see it cearly I want my cients to see my illustrations clearly on their computers, and they are not up to tinkering with adjustments, if they complain I usually tell then to drag and drop into Chrome, or send them a flattened image print which does better.

Below is an example of a visio file, the differences are not as prominent but there are differences in quality

VISIO-ADOBE VS FOXIT.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Acrobat? If so, what version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not matter, I have tried several version, but again it is not my reader I am concerned about, it is the readers of my clients!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm asking in order to understand how the file is created, not how it is viewed. From the file preferences it seems you do not have Acrobat (or are not using it). I suggest you get it and use it to create your files. You will probably get better and more consistent results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the PDF!

Can see from File / Properties that you're making a "Print-to-PDF" PDF, which essentially deadens the graphical and text objects and converts them to rasterirzed "dots" just as if it was printed on you laser/inkjet printer.

Telltale signs:

• PostScript DLL
  • The Producer is an off-brand freebie PDF making utility. (It uses the 1983-85 Apple Imagewriter engine...Yeowza! 35-year-old technology!)
  • And the clearness of the hatching changes with enlargement of the PDF.

File / Properties shows how the PDF was made.File / Properties shows how the PDF was made.Viewed at 50%Viewed at 50%Viewed at 100%Viewed at 100%Viewed at 300% still shows some uneven lines.Viewed at 300% still shows some uneven lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*** Here are Corel's instructions on making PDFs from CorelDraw:

http://product.corel.com/help/CorelDRAW/540229932/Main/EN/Documentation/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/w...

Choose the right settings: I recommend as either Archiving (RGB) or Editing or Prepress. The other options seem to compress text and/or graphics.

You want to make sure of the following:

• that a high-enough resolution is set, minimum of 300 dpi but I recomment 400-600 dpi if you're concerned how your clients will view them;
  • all fonts are embedded (subsetted if less than 100% are used);
  • colors are RGB and maintain custom colors (unless you intend this for a print shop, then CMYK);
  • hyperlinks are kept live.

Maybe others ACPs have other recommendations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried all that in the past, no improvement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come to think of it, perhaps I have never given adobe acrobat pdf writer a try, this may be a solution, thanks try67

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try re-printing my pdf which I uploaded though your Adobe Acrobat creator to see if it makes any difference. Before I go though the hassle of installing a Pro version of Acrobat on my computer I would like to know that there is a potential for it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, re-printing the file won't work. It needs to be done from the original Corel file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Printing the file is what created the problem to begin with!

Do not print to PDF: if you want crisp text and graphics, Export to PDF.

See above post:

*** Here are Corel's instructions on making PDFs from CorelDraw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bevi, there is not difference, we have already exlored the option of exporting to PDF, it does not help and the Foxit Reader still looks much better than the Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bevi, nothing has worked so far. I am resigned to just encouraging my clients to not use Adobe pdf reader.

If you have any access to Adobe developement team, perhaps you can point out how inferior their product is compared to all the other pdf viewers out there and maybe somone will look into it.

I am unable to comprehend that a large company like Adobe who have had a product out there for a few decades already, are the industries standard, and they have the worst pdf viewer and have not made any effort to improve it all these years....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once more, please share an actual PDF file with us, not an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent a link this time since I do not know how to attached a pdf to this thread, unless you can tell me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PucGFDlJdpRkEea2IDZJHlAOc_U5C8ST/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link is fine. I recommend you play around with the settings under Preferences - Page Display. I enabled all the smoothing options and enhance thin lines, and it seems fine to me, but maybe I'm missing something here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want me to send you a pdf of a simple with a hatched fill which was made in Corel and then you can experiment with different pdf reader? How do I add a pdf attachement? Is a link OK

I recommend zooming up and down and notice how Adobe deals with the hatching compared to 
Chrome or another viewer!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PucGFDlJdpRkEea2IDZJHlAOc_U5C8ST/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never, ever, rely on Adobe pdf viwer !!!

I was almost about to be fired because of the inconsistincies related to acrobat viewer's version changes. It was around 10 years ago, a client's signature in document disapeared after a year. The reason was Acrobat version update during that time.

Even if I was not fired because of that, I was definetely was going to hang myself

if I could not find the underlying main reason in google after a 5 hours search on google in an international airport.

The main message of this long story is, keep away from Acrobat, if you want to be alive in this wild capitalist environment.

I am not even telling the story that I just experienced today.

Be smart, keep safe, be alive

I have noticed for over a decade that Adobe PDF viewer has a much lower quality than other views, also my clients have complained, so I advise them to use a different viewer, is there a fix to improve the Adobe PDF viewer , see attached snapshot for example of quality difference.

Note the low quality of the fill, and also the low quality of the vertor lines which look choppy.

eg. of quality, screenshots of Foxit and Adobe pdf viewerseg. of quality, screenshots of Foxit and Adobe pdf viewers

By @aryeh leibk43747060

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My dear wife has found the sollution after all these years!

CNTR+K to get to settings DISPLAY>RENDERING, and make sure SMOOTH IMAGES is checked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines