• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Security Warning: This document is trying to connect...

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2014 Feb 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a forms program for real estate that allows agents to fill out contracts and save them online. Just recently when I try to save the contract within the program, I receive the Adobe Security Warning pop-up that reads: "This document is trying to connect to: file//formsserver/processsubmit/" and then gives the option to Allow, Block, Cancel. What we have found is that instead of reading the file directly from our servers, it downloads the file, places it in a temp folder, but still displays it within the browser, which seems kind of strange. Since the file is being downloaded, the connection of the save buttons we have programmed on the contract to our servers has been cut-off, thus triggering this warning statement. This started happening out of the blue with Reader 11.0.6, so I rolled back to 11.0.3, same issue. Rolled back to 10.1.4, and everything works perfectly. We just cannot seem to figure out why Reader 11 is behaving this way, and what makes it even more difficult is that this behavoir is not easiliy replicable, my home laptop has Reader 11 and I do not have any issues. We have received a few calls from certain users that have run into this as well.

The first image is of Reader 11 showing that the form has been downloaded as a file, the second image shows how it should be, the file location being our server. Any suggestions on this would be very much appreciated!

Reader 11.jpgReader 10.jpg

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Per Adobe:

Home / Using Acrobat X Standard / Security / Application security

Allow or block links to the Internet in PDFs

Clicking any link to the Internet poses a potential security risk. Malicious websites can transfer harmful content or silently gather data. If you are concerned about these risks, you can configure Acrobat and Reader to display a warning when a PDF attempts to connect to an Internet site.

You can allow Acrobat and Reader to contact selected websites by adding their addresses (URL

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per Adobe:

Home / Using Acrobat X Standard / Security / Application security

Allow or block links to the Internet in PDFs

Clicking any link to the Internet poses a potential security risk. Malicious websites can transfer harmful content or silently gather data. If you are concerned about these risks, you can configure Acrobat and Reader to display a warning when a PDF attempts to connect to an Internet site.

You can allow Acrobat and Reader to contact selected websites by adding their addresses (URLs) to your list of trusted websites in the Trust Manager preferences. Alternatively, you can allow all URLs.

Note: If the options in the Manage Internet Access dialog box are disabled, select Custom Setting. If options are still disabled, your product could be under an administrator’s control with those restrictions in place.

1. 1.        Choose Edit > Preferences (Windows) or Acrobat/Adobe Reader > Preferences (Mac OS).
  2. 2.        From the Categories on the left, select Trust Manager.
  3. 3.        Click Change Settings to specify the default behavior for accessing the Internet from PDFs.
  4. 4.        Choose from the following options:
  • To allow access to all URLs, select Allow PDF Files To Access All Web Sites.
  • To restrict access to all URLs, select Block PDF Files’ Access To All Web Sites.
  • To restrict access to only the URLs you specify, select Custom Setting.
  • To add a website, type its URL in the Host Name text box and click Allow or Block.
  • To remove a URL you no longer want to visit, select the website in the list and click Delete.
  • To specify what the program should do with websites not in your custom list, select one of these options: Always Ask, Allow Access, Block Access.

For more information, see the Application Security Guide at www.adobe.com/go/learn_acr_appsecurity_en.

Note: If you open a protected PDF and receive a prompt to allow or block a URL, select Remember My Action For This Site. This reply adds the URL to this list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"this document is trying to connect to" machine keeps doing this. Stop doing this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

allow access to all preference not doing nothing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The links are in an Acrobat pdf file and they link to an Acrobat pdf file in the same folder.  Why are we getting a security warning trying to link to something that is in the same folder?  This is Acrobat 9. We have 1000s of links.  Every time it asks us do we trust something that is on your own machine and in the same folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We already tried setting the Trust Manager to "Allow all web sites."  We also tride setting Trust Manager default behavior for web sites that are not in the above list to "allow access."  It still puts up  the same security warning.  There is no option in the securing warning screen to stop this behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a sample file? My guess is there's some kind of embedded script in the file that's trying to submit data from it automatically as soon as you open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure but I don't really know how to share a file with this system.  Are there instructions on how to share a file?  I can tell you that the hyperlink location is like this--

file:///C|/Dropbox/CL/Broadway%20Plan/Administrative%20Record/5.%20AdminRecord/AR%203-4.pdf

So it's just a path to a file that is located in the same folder.  The hyperlinks work fine.  It's just that they raises this security warning every time you click on the hyperlink before it will show a document.

I don't have a security issue because the link is going to a file that is on the same machine and in the same folder.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you answered your own question... You should not be using the file:/// domain for files that are located on the local computer. This will trigger a security warning because it is considered an attempt to access a file using an external link.

Instead, you should use an "Open a File" command, which points to this file. If it's a PDF then no warnings will be shown when you click it (maybe only during the first time).

Adding attachments to a message in this forum is possible, but unfortunately (like so many other things in this new system) very cumbersome. I recommend you just upload it to a file-sharing website and then post the link to it, instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a hyperlink that doesn't have a URL? I thought that's what a hyperlink was.  In any case the hyperlinks are created automatically when the pdf is created, so we can't use the Open File command.

All we need Acrobat to stop putting up a security warning, or at least to remember what we said was safe already.  We don't need a security warning.  Word doesn't do that warning.  We want to turn off security warning.

Thank you
Sam Baumgarten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Links in PDF files can do all kinds of things.

I think the solution should be in the way you're creating the file. Disabling this warning message might be possible, but it will be complicated. Maybe through a Registry setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're creating the pdf with hyperlinks using MS Word.  When Word creates the pdf, it puts a URL into the hyperlink as the address to the linked document. It seems to make no difference what address is referenced document in the Word document.  I get a pdf with thousands of hyperlinks.  Each one contains a URL as the address of the linked document.  We have no automated process to create a pdf from a Word document that contains ahyperlinks that do not use URLs (if it's even possible to do that).  So for us, we justs need to tell Acrobat to stop putting up a useless and redundant security warning.  We distribute the pdf files to other people and we don't want to have to ask them to do a registry change in order to use the document.  I really can't imagine that all the millions of pdf's created by Word all have this dumb security warning for every hyperlink in the document, and there's no way to turn it off.  Is every hyperlink created by Word doing this?

creates a pdf, it uses a URL 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with the "file:///" command... can you please explain how to use the "Open a file" command in VBA?

The links are automatically added through a VBA macro to open a specific folder on the network when the link in the .pdf is clicked.

This security warning is extremely irritating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same issue.  I've written a guide to Pennsylvania research with hundreds of urls.  I just want to turn off the security notification since I personally have checked all urls and trust them.  My readers will go crazy and my book will go nowhere.  Please tell me, in English (I'm in my 70s), how to turn off the popup security warning throughout my 500-page book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I met the same question, and I have solved it, you can have a try. 

open the adobe, edit--preferences--security 

and untick the Load security setting from a server below the security setting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why on any earth would a photo editing program need access to my documents downloads and desktop for me to use their program. Simple they absolutely dont. Completely disgusting. Really wanted to use the program but unfortunately they and their big brother freinds make it impossible. You might as well give them the password to your computer and I dont have to be a computer geek or want to waste the time trying to figure out all the ramifications of it. Completely unecassary period. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What are you talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines