• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

System slows and loses assigned font from text boxes

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Pro 64-bit (2022.003.20282) on a Dell Vostro 7500 model P102F with Win11.

I am generating a report which contains a number of text fields. I have to add additional text fields in Acrobat manually which subsequently lose the assigned fonts after saving the file and reopening the next day. The text fields have TT fonts (Arial/TNR). Only the text fields added manually lose the font. They become ghost characters in the text fields. I have to manually reassign the fonts in order for the characters to reappear. As this report takes me 4-5 hours to prepare, I have also noted that Acrobat will slow down as I continue to work. I can close and reopen the application which sometimes will speed things back up.

This feels like a memory leak or something that is bogging down system resources, but I can't be sure. 

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

-JA

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jason267017933ij5,

Hope you are doing well. Sorry for your experience with Acrobat Reader.

To help you with the first part of the problem, we'd suggest is embed the fonts that are used in the document into the file.

This will help make the fonts always available on the document and will not need re-assigning every time.

Please try the below troubleshooting steps:

1. Check your fonts. Firstly, check which fonts are embedded and which are not by opening document properties.
  2. Find your font. To embed the fonts that are not already embedded, go to File > Print. Bring up the Adobe PDF settings and properties, then Adobe PDF settings.
  3. Embed your font. Edit the default settings,, navigate to Font, and and click the Embed all fonts option. Your font should now be installed for use.

You may learn more about it from here: How to Embed Fonts in a PDF

For the second part where the application slows down, we'd suggest two way troubleshooting to check if it works:

1. Go to Preferences-> Page Display-> uncheck the option saying "Use Page Cache". Once done, restart the application and then check if things go better.

2. The second would be to reset the Acrobat Reader preferences. 

You may take reference for the steps from the given thread link: How to reset Acrobat Preference settings to defaul

Hope this helps.

-Souvik.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Souvik,

Thank you for the prompt response.

Embedding Fonts:

In this version of Acrobat, there is not a File selection on the menu. So I used the 

Jason267017933ij5_0-1670614534236.png

(sorry I don't know what to call that)

Under Document Properties - >Fonts tab; the font I used in the second set of text boxes is present Arial (Embedded Subset). 

Under the Print menu, I selected Adobe PDF Document Properties - > Default Settings ->Edit. Embed all fonts was already selected. However, I did add Arial-Black and Arial-MT. This saved to a new Default Settings file, Standard(1).  Does this need to be done everytime I work with a new file?

For the performance issue:

I have unselected the page cache and will wait before trying any other changes.

Thanks,

JA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Jason267017933ij5,

Thank you for the updates.

This step is suggested when you are experiencing issues with the fonts embedded in the document or using additional fonts than the ones embedded in the document.

If you do not experience any issues with different fonts, the steps will not have to be followed.

Looking forward to hearing an update on the performance issue.

-Souvik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines