Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

UNABLE TO OPEN A DRM PDF FILE IN ACROBAT READER DC

Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo,

I have installed on my pc Acrobar Reader DC and also A.D.E 4.5; both upgraded to the last version; both logged-in with the same (my) Acrobat ID.

I bought an .acsm ebook and also downloaded the corresponding drm pdf file (located in the "My Digital Editions" folder).

In ADE I've added the .acsm file to the library so I can open and read that ebook in ADE but I really want to open and read it using Acrobat Reader DC but an error is displayed telling that there was an error opening the document because the protection plug-in required was unavailable.

I tried to search a solution in adobe forum and I found this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/digital-editions/my-adobe-digital-editions-drm-pdf-ebook-reads-fine-b... 

but I'm not able to open the "Developing digital rights management (DRM) plug-ins | Adobe Developer Connection" link (posted as a reply) because I'm not reading it from United States!!!!

How can I read my drm pdf file using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC?

Hope you can help me,

thanks a lot

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to , Security digital signatures and esignatures , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

There are many different types of DRM. If you can't open the file in Acrobat, this is by design. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Digital Editions, that's what it's for (controlled access).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse me but I don't agree at 100%.

I'm already using Acrobat Reader DC to read some DRM PDF newspapers that I bought as paid subscription: I bought and downloaded that DRM PDF newspapers on my pc and they cannot be opened using other PDF Readers (Foxit Reader for example) but only using Acrobat Reader DC.

While opening that DRM PDF Newspapers, Acrobat Reader DC prompt me a dialog where I have to put my Username and my Password to identify myself as the real paid account subscription of that newspaper site (here below the screenshot of that dialog).

Acrobat Reader DC - Login drm pdf.PNG

After putting my userid and my password I can open and read that DRM PDF newspaper.

All I want to do is the same: open not the .acsm file but the corresponding DRM PDF putting on that dialog my username and password (of the site where I bought my ebook) and read it as well as I do with the newspapers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many different types of DRM. If you can't open the file in Acrobat, this is by design. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... "that's what it's for" but (if a user can suggest something to Adobe) I would suggest that Digital Edition could inherit the same readability feautures that owns to Acrobat Reader DC.

Why ADE should appear so unhandy to use (not only for me: found more than one post about it) and why should have so many readability differences comparing to Acrobat Reader DC (or Adobe Acrobat)?

I can suppose that are different products for different jobs and different kind of final users, but I also think that basic functions, like PDF readability, should be the same.

After that, thanks a lot for your replies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How can Adobe even think that the "correct" answer is correct ?

This user is totally right about the poor, below standards graphical quality and user functionalities of Adobe Digital Editions, for DRM documents that are often prized at professional prices that should go with top quality digital experience and usability.

I will forthwith avoid any acsm product until this is resolved to satisfaction, and complain to those offering the format coupled to Adobe ADE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines