• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to print PDFs since automatic update to Acrobat Reader DC 64-bit

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no problems printing PDFs on my Windows 10 64-bit laptop using Acrobat Reader DC 32-bit (and I can still print the same PDFs on my Windows 10 32-bit PC using Acrobat Reader DC 32-bit). After the automatic update to Acrobat Reader DC 64-bit, I get the not-very-informative errors “The document could not be printed.” and “An error occurred while printing the document.” I am printing to a Brother DCP-330C printer connected by USB cable directly to laptop (or PC). I've tried uninstalling Acrobat Reader DC 64-bit from my laptop and re-installing Acrobat Reader DC 32-bit and now I can't print from the 32-bit version either. Please help, someone. Thank you. Graeme

PS I believe the 64-bit version has only been rolled out in Australia and New Zealand - thanks Adobe, for using us as Guinea pigs for a product that doesn't work 😞

TOPICS
Print , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Hi All!

Thanks to everyone for your patience and for your cooperation.

Acrobat & Reader DC October updates are live now containing the fix, please install the latest update from the help menu of the app>select check for updates, reboot the machine if possible after the update and check the functionality. 

For more details about the release, please see this: Adobe Acrobat and Reader - October' 21 updates are Live!

Let us know if you experience any issues.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Thanks for reporting the same.

Stay assured that is not the case, x64 build is getting rolled out steadily but only after verifications.

Can we get some more information regarding the same : 

1.  Adobe Reader version on which the issue is observed
  2. Windows 10 version currently used (can be checked from Run > 'winver')
  3. Are we able to print using any other application, like Word, Browser, or any application?
  4.  Can we try removing the printer, and reinstalling the same back?

We'll try to help you with the issue you're observing. 

Regards,
Swapnil Srivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Swapnil

Thought I posted this but it seems to have got lost.

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly.

1. I don't have the version of the Reader DC 64-bit (it's the one that installed automatically) as I uninstalled it from my laptop and tried re-installing the Reader DC 32-bit version 2021.007.20091 - I got the same errors with this. On my Windows 10 Home 32-bit PC, I can print successfully with Reader DC 32-bit version 2021.007.20091. To the same printer, Brother DCP-330C connect via USB cable.

2. Windows version is Windows Home 10 Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237) 64-bit. My PC runs the same version but 32-bit.

3. I can print successfully from everything - Word 2019, Excel 2019, Edge Browser - the only thing I can't print are PDFs.

4. I uninstalled the printer and re-installed it but it didn't make any difference - I still can't print PDFs.

It would have been nice to be prompted whether I wanted the 64-bit version of Acrobat Reader DC or stay with the 32-bit version ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it")

Thank you.

Graeme

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows 10 21H1 and can print from Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Shoretel, Outlook , Chrome browser, Microsoft Edge, adobe reader 32 bit.  Any adobe file 64 bit will not print.  Do you have a fix yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, they don't have a fix yet. I had to start a new thread which I bump every week or so. On October 29th they had a file from me they couldn't print either but haven't resolved it yet. So they are aware of the problem, but not enough people are making noise I guess so we get stuck with now 5 months of software subscription payments for something that doesn't work like it did before then.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/the-document-could-not-be-printed-an-error...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Swapnil,

Unable to print large format drawings from Adobe Reader DC 64 to my HP Designjet800PS 42. I can print pdf's to my other printers as long as they are letter size 8 1/2 x 11. Nothing larger. The 32bit version worked flawlessly. Its as if its not seeing the printer when the print size is changed.

Tried the fixes listed in various threds here and have had no luck. Even tried new cables, etc. Open to any ideas you might have. Thank you.

Dell Inspiron with 64bit OS and x64 based processor

Using Windows 10 Home version 21H1

HP DesignJet800PS 42 printer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
You can for a temporary fix go to adobe reader and go to Edit, preferences, security advanced, and then turn off protected mode, get out of Adobe start it backup and you should print

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2023 Oct 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me.  But what a ridiculous solution - and not easy to find this solution on the web.  For Acrobat on Windows 11 you go to Menu > Preferences > Security (Enhanced) and uncheck "Enagle Protected Mode at Startup."  Then you have to Exit Acrobat and restart the App. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something I saw from others that worked occasionally (but it isn't a fix) was to set portrait/landscape by hand, not auto.

michaelv57797510_0-1642873033798.png

The update to in October fixed my printing to wide format machines but not to my Canon ImageRunner 8595

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working with adobe programmer's and we are about a week away from a fix.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's awesome because they keep telling me all my files that can't print must be corrupt and it can't be their program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all for the advice. But unfortunately, no change. Even tried using the HP print program, but no luck. Hopefully theres a fix in the works. It costs $10 a page to get them printed and sent to me. Costing me an arm and a leg right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Swapnil,

When I tried to print a test page, I received an error code 0x000000cb, which says the system could not find the envioronment option that was entered. Which envioronment option is required for printing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any HP Designjet 800ps owners out there need to know that due to the age of the Designjet800PS printers, HP will not be providing support for them anymore. That includes new drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company is getting the same error as well after the recent update, but it is 32-bit. (Adobe version 2021.007.20091).

The printers that are causing issues are HP printers and I can fix the issue by installing the HP Universal Driver.  I would rather not have to do this on every PC though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem, first it was a Canon IR 8580 but now also a Canon iPF6400. I'm a printshop so not being able to print is a problem. Some PDFs are fine. others won't work. I can't even send a blank page to the Canon iPF6400 right now. Same 2021.007.20091 version as you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a blank page in Acrobat and couldn't print it to the Canon iPF6400.

• I rebooted.Still couldn't print.
  • I tried to repair my installation of Acrobat Pro DC. Still couldn't print.
  • I reinstalled acrobat from the web by logging into my account.Still couldn't print.
  • I uninstalled the printer, deleted the driver, reinstalled the printer and downloaded the driver from Canon. Still couldn't print.
  • I tried print as image. Still couldn't print.

I could print to other printers, but not the one I wanted to.

I changed Orientation from 'auto' to 'landscape' and it printed.

Changed it to portrait? Printed fine.

Changed it back to Auto? I can now print again like nothine was wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed Orientation from 'auto' to 'landscape' and it printed.

I changed to portrait and got errors “The document could not be printed.” and “An error occurred while printing the document.”

I changed to auto and got the same errors.

I change back to landscape and it printed.

Extremely puzzled???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed I changed from A3 to A4 and it printed, back to A3 and it wouldn't print. Sadly the plans Im working on are hard enough to see in A3. Any ideas. I called the pro line and they said they worked out there was a problem a week ago and they hoped to have something by the end of the week. Told me to use free reader for printing in the mean timewhich doesn't seem to be effected but not really an option. I also asked him to email me which he promised to do but then didn't ? Could hardly hear the guy on the phone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm facing similar issues, using Acrobat DC subscription based, after recent update 2021.007.20091 not able to print pdf to pdf getting error message "this document can't be printed" and then there was an error printing the document and it generates an output file with equal number of blank page.

Raised issue with customer support, they tweak certain settings, it works for sometime and then problem crops up again.

tried rolling back to previous version but then that also not working properly, had print all pdf (to pdf) as image file, which is causing output file size to bloat up.

Working on Windows 10 64 Bit Acrobat DC 2021.007.20091

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went back to test my orientation fix on a file I had a problem with last week and it fails. I printed this same file last year without issue(I'm a print shop so this is a huge problem). In this case if I turn off 'secure print' or 'use covers' in the driver then it will work. But I shouldn't have to do that.

That same file I printed out of another PDF program without issue using both 'secure print' and 'use covers' in the print dialog. So it isn't the driver or the file. It's Acrobat.Pro DC. I am also working on Windows 10 64 Bit Acrobat DC 2021.007.20091

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think i just cracked it.

All my files r working now.

I think i just cracked it, solution may seem weired but u can give it a try.

do whatever you do in print dialogue box, i mean settings, page size, scaling etc. but before u click on Print Button, just click the page setup button on the left hand side bottom corner n click ok. After that just hit print

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work for me on the file I could print last year but can't print this year.

I even extracted just the first page and tried to print that and can't. (assuming I'm using 'secure print' and 'use covers' in the driver).

The search continues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Printed a file earlier today, and now I can't print it again. Rebooted and it prints again. This sucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried deepak's solution and it worked for me. But I don't want to have to do this every time I want to print a PDF. Forgot to mention in my original post that when I got the errors  “The document could not be printed.” and “An error occurred while printing the document.”, the printer ejected blank pages, the same number as I wanted to print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines