Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is file.org?

Jun 02, 2013 Jun 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I respond to the prompt to update Adobe reader, I am now taken to something called "File.org". What is this? Is it safe? I can't find it listed inmy installed programs, I am not sure where it came from.

Thanks

Bill

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't sound right AT ALL. Don't follow those links, or download anything from there.

Can you show us a screen shot of the prompt to update Adobe Reader that you get, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx for the response! Sure, I can do that, but I'll have to wait unti the prompt to update pops up again, it has been popping up every day for last few days. First the small box appears in the lower right hand corner of my screen saying an update is ready for Adobe reader, and it gives the number of the update version. I click on that, and up comes a large box from file.org that can not be minimized or removed from front and center on the screen, though I can move it around. I can close it, but not minimize it.

How do I do a screen shot and post it here? I will try to do so next time it happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I guess I just click "print screen" and then copy it here for a screen shot, so I will try that next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really sounds odd. Because the first thing sounds normal.

Screen shot...You do a Print Screen, start PAINT, paste it and save a JPEG.

Then you can click the Camera icon, and select the JPEG you saved.

If you can capture the original message and where it goes it might tell us something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, back later when it shows itself again! In the meantime I continue to do nothing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I too have been receiving this pop-up from "File.org" stating a new version of Adobe is ready to be downloaded. It just happened (6/03/2013). I have attached a screen shot of the pop-up.

ThanksAdobe.File.org.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After pressing "Next Step" I get the following. Looks like the software (company) "AVG" has highjacked and spoffed the Adobe install sequence?

Adobe.File.org.2..JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I unchecked the "Improve my Internet protection..." box from the above panel and presssed "Next"... and received this panel. (Note, I will stop short of installing anything.)

Adobe.File.org.3.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After pressing "Decline", I received the next panel. I won't go any further here because I don't want to chance installing any unwanted crap.

The real question is how to get this "File.org" spoof off my system (as the other posted asked) so that I only get Adobe updates directly from Adobe?

Thanks

Adobe.File.org.4.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several possibilities. There are viruses that stop programs which want to update getting through to their "parent" site and send it somewhere else. Perhaps to install more viruses, perhaps to make money from advertising, who knows...

Are you able to directly reach Adobe's download site http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/, or does that go somewhere else?

Is your antivirus up-to-date?

Do these pop-up windows seem to be running in a browser or are they apps/programs in their own right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is pretty much what I have been getting. I tried to get a screen shot of the first notice that comes up saying an update is available, but something went awry and there is nothing to copy into paint or anywhere else, darn it!

I can go to that link you provided. Looks like it will work. My Adobe reader is showing as 10.1.7 , newest version is 11.0.03, so I guess I should try and download that?

I don't know if they are browsers or programs. As you see, the only option is to close it. It is a good sized window taking up a lot of the screen, and it sits on top of every thing else, you can not minimize it. But I can still scrool or click on links in Firefox, which is under this window.

Here is what I am starting to wonder now: could this have anything to do with Adobe Air or Adobe Air Free Download Packages? These came up, I think, during an update of Adobe Flashplayer, a program that causes endless grief. I downloaded these hoping they would help, and indeed have not had any recent problems with Flashplayer. I think another program that came along with these Adobe Air programs was Password Toolbox, which I installed but deleted today as we were having a bunch of craziness with passwords. Maybe I should uninstall these Adobe Air programs, don't even know what they do?

Edit:

7. MrK4Steamer, said:

"After pressing "Next Step" I get the following. Looks like the software (company) "AVG" has highjacked and spoffed the Adobe install sequence?"....................................................................................................................................

Bill asks: Do you have anything from Adobe Air recently installed, or AVG or ASK?

There was something fro AVG that had been installed- along with a couple of "ASK" toolbars, all that looked like they got installed about the same time as the Adobe Air. I remember installing the Adobe Air, but not the other stuff, which I have uninstalled while waiting to hear about "Adobe Air".

Bill

Message was edited by: BillyBob58

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I got the screen shot of the original prompt. I clicked on it and it still takes me to the file.org even after I uninstalled AVG and ASK toolbar. BTW, in answer to your previous question, my Norton AV/Firewall is fully up to date. The prompt is in the lower right hand corner for version 11.0.3.07.

Adobe update screen prompt.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That does look very like the "real" Adobe Reader pop-up. Can anyone confirm this, I don't have Reader XI to check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd have to agree. That ISN'T an Adobe notification that I've ever seen.

Reader updates will pop up on login and they will be in an AAM (Adobe Applications Manager) window in the middle of your desktop, not in a taskbar notification.

I'd do a thorough system scan for trojans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have done the only system scan I can with Norton 360 Premier, hopefully that also scans for trojans. We will see how this progresses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a rule: Adobe updates come from Adobe and ONLY from Adobe.

They don't "outsource" them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought: it's easy to assume that, if you have some malware, and it is downloading XX software (an antivirus was mentioned for example) then the makers of XX software are to blame.

Actually, there is a whole class of malware that exists to make money by "click" advertising charges. It's probably well known that some companies encourage people to link to them and pay a fee if there is a successful sale. If you buy a book from a bug company from a link on someone's web site - perhaps the author, perhaps just someone tryng to make money - then the owner of the web site which made the "click" might get 5% of the fee. Even free software download can get "click charge" money. Similar but different are "pay per click" adverts.

So, it's a common and annoying technique for unscrpulous web sites to try and encourage these sorts of links by deception. You are misled, a click happens, money changes hands. Some people go further and create malware to secretly generate these links by the million or billion... all of this serves to blacken the name of the company which was really just hoping to pay for interested people being led to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not been prompted to update Adobe reader since yesterday. Maybe something bad was removed when I ran the Norton 360 system scan. It removed 34 items, but I somehow closed the screen before I could review results. Normally, what is removed is classified as minor risk/tracking cookies.

Any one have any thoughts on the Adobe Air and Adobe Air Free Download Packages that I was lead to when being prompted to update Adobe Flashplayer? Could that have anything to do with how this "File.org" thing got started?

I think I will uninstall my Adobe reader, and reinstall the newest version from the links provided by Test in post #10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe AIR is a cross-operating-system runtime that lets developers combine HTML, JavaScript, Adobe Flash® and Flex technologies, and ActionScript® to deploy rich Internet applications (RIAs) on a broad range of devices including desktop computers, netbooks, tablets, smartphones, and TVs. AIR allows developers to use familiar tools such as Adobe Dreamweaver®, Flash Builder®, Flash Catalyst®, Flash Professional, or any text editor to build their applications and easily deliver a single application installer that works across operating systems.

If you're not using Flash Professional, Flash Builder, Flash Catalyst, Acrobat Pro, InDesign, InContent, Premiere, Encore, Audition or Dreamweaver.... You probably won't need AIR for development, but it can't hurt to have it installed. Some content you view or download may require it to run. Downooad it from this site though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2013 Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been having this same pop-up and concern. If you look at the first picture MrK4Steamer (#6) posted, you will see that the publisher of file.org is Trusted Software. I, too, wasn't able to find a file.org application, but I was able to find downloaded software (I don't know how it was downloaded) from this publisher. The name of the software that I have is "File Type Assistant". I will insert a screenshot of the prompt to update Adobe reader (bottom right) along with application that I have associated with Trusted Software (highlighted blue). I will remove this software and then repost at a later time to tell whether this solved the problem. CorruptSoftware.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good work hunting that down. I have that file also, created on May 4, 2013. Now I wish I knew what the dates were for the AVG and ASK tool bar that I unisnstalled. I also see that I have a program called "Free File Viewer 2012" by Bitberry software, that coincidentally was also installed on May 4, 2013. I do remember installing this, I think I was led to it by Microsoft when I was searching for a program to read a file that I could not read. Whatever, that is suspicious that this file/software that you have found is associated with the update message is also on my computer and was created on the same date that “Free File Viewer” was created/imstalled.

I have not seen any of these File.org. Windows since I got rid of AVG and ASK toolbar. I may uninstall or remove "File Type Assistant".  And "Free File Viewer 2012", especially if I have any problem. Also interested to see if you have any more trouble after removing "File Type Assistant".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can recall removing that File Type Assistant in March. It was a major pain in the posterior. Suddenly, ANY file I tried to open, it would ask me to choose what to open it with, and whatever the default had been was removed from the list, so I had to browse to find it. I uninstalled it and then ran a batch file that reassociates all files with the Windows (OEM) default.

About that time I installed "Iron", a portable (Flash Drive) web browser, which I downloaded from a reputable site (portableapps.com). During the install, it said I needed to reboot, which is odd for a portable, app, since they run without the windows registry, they NEVER need a reboot. I couldn't stop it, and the system restarted. Right after that, Handycafé took over my browsing, wiped Firefox, and Chrome of ALL extensions and bookmarks  I had, reset my homepage and search engine preferences, and then this file thing happened. It took me two hours to get rid of it.

I never saw file.org, but I do remember that type assistant. I wouldn't want either on my system. If I didn't specifically install it, it better not be there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please share details about the batch file that reassociates all files with the Windows (OEM) default?  Name of file, where is it found, how do I run it, etc.  Thanks!

In my experience, it seems like after a certain amount of time passes (usually a few months), the major anti-viruses eventually learn about these spoofing programs and clean them up. 

btw, I too have the file.org spoof popping up on each reboot.  The first time I clicked to update acrobat, I saw the part about installing AVG on there.  I don't remember if I installed the update without the AVG or if I just cancelled.  Either way, I think I sent AVG a message about how damaging this is to their brand.  I had a good attitude toward AVG free until this happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did uninstalling "File Type Assistant" stop the file.org "adobe update" spoof from popping up after every reboot?  Have you seen any other effect from the uninstall?  It didn't disassociate file types from associated programs or anything like that did it? (see #22).  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines