Highlighted

Can't save: "The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder."

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this issue all over the internet when I've searched for an answer. And it looks like it has been around for years. The only solution I've seen is to close the window pane in Windows. But what about for Mac users?

I just bought a new macbook pro. I had a 2011 macbook pro previously, with Acrobat Pro X. I backed up my computer in time machine, started up the new computer, and restored the old computer's data to the new one. Everything is the same and works fine except that I cannot save PDFs when I edit them. The only workaround I've found is to open a new folder, which  I can "save as" to the new location, but then I can't save future edits there unless I send them to yet another new folder.

The error message is: "The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder."

This is driving me crazy. Someone please help.

This worked for me

If your file/asset is in a folder that is synced with Google Drive, Drop Box, One drive or the like simply quit the backup/sync utility and then hit save on the file. Note: "Pausing" the sync may not allow a file save. You must quit the sync app.

TOPICS
Create PDFs, Macintosh

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't save: "The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder."

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this issue all over the internet when I've searched for an answer. And it looks like it has been around for years. The only solution I've seen is to close the window pane in Windows. But what about for Mac users?

I just bought a new macbook pro. I had a 2011 macbook pro previously, with Acrobat Pro X. I backed up my computer in time machine, started up the new computer, and restored the old computer's data to the new one. Everything is the same and works fine except that I cannot save PDFs when I edit them. The only workaround I've found is to open a new folder, which  I can "save as" to the new location, but then I can't save future edits there unless I send them to yet another new folder.

The error message is: "The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder."

This is driving me crazy. Someone please help.

This worked for me

If your file/asset is in a folder that is synced with Google Drive, Drop Box, One drive or the like simply quit the backup/sync utility and then hit save on the file. Note: "Pausing" the sync may not allow a file save. You must quit the sync app.

TOPICS
Create PDFs, Macintosh

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 06, 2017 2
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have occasionally seen this crop up but not regularly. Acrobat X is not really Sierra compatible. It mostly works, but maybe you are seeing where it does not.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 08, 2017 1
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. So does that mean that the solution is getting an updated version of Acrobat Pro?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 08, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download a trial of the new version and see if it still happens. I have seen this happen even with Acrobat DC but it is not a regular occurrence. I don't know if the problem is the software or the fact that my files are are constantly being synced to the cloud. It doesn't happen regularly, but it does happen more with Acrobat, but some other software once in a while.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2017 1
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have been searching for an answer for this for a long time, in vein. None of the usual tricks like hiding the review pane, closing the folder, etc. worked for me. 

Desperate to solve the problem, I tried changing permissions in the folder properties in which I was trying to save the pdf files, and to my amazement, it actually worked.

After that, I went ahead and  changed permission to the users folder in which all my documents are located, and it solved my seemed to have solved my pdf saving problem once for all.

How to change permissions - Right click on the folder where your files are located, select properties, select security tab, edit permissions,  change it to full control.

A note of caution - this makes all files accessible for anyone to copy, modify, etc. - may not be a wise thing to do on a public computer or network.I did it for all users, since I am the only one who uses my laptop. If the internet is private and secure, selecting 'anyone' would be the best thing to do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2017 2
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! That security setting worked for me! Been trying to find a fix for ages. Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 08, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue and just realized this was being caused by having "FILE PREVIEW" enabled in my File Explorer. Not sure about on Mac, but on Windows you can turn this option OFF by hitting ALT+P in the Explorer.

As soon as I turned this off, I am now able to Edit AND Save without seeing that annoying "read-only" error message.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2017 14
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Michael, and I would like to just map out these instructions for windows users,  as it worked superbly!

1. Click on File Explorer

2. At the top of the page, go to the far left pull down menu call "View" (it's the last in the row of File_Home_Share_View)

3. Click on View

4. To the right, the first box is the "Panes" box and gives you 3 icons to choose from. Click once on the "Preview Pane" option.

5. Like Michael said above, you can also use ALT P to toggle this choice on and off.

This worked for me perfectly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2017 3
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for directions! It worked

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Michael!  This worked great and so simple!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This SOLVED my problem!!!! Thank you, this was driving me crazy.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a amazing!!! I have been having this issue for EVER and the Alt-P suggestion fixed my issue! Thank you so so much 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Michaeld! it worked

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2018 7
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that was it for me, Google sync was waiting for me to respond to a save or remove. Once I did that, problem went away

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2018 1
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, but only with CS5.5 when I'm using Illustrator. It drives me MAD as I have to then have multiple files and remember which one I really am using/working on. There needs to be a fix for this. I didn't have the issue until Win 10 and just a few months ago. I haven't had the issue with my CS6 versions...yet. PLEASE provide an update to fix this. I am in IT and have checked all permissions, no preview panes...nothing is wrong or abnormal, it just won't let me save over a file.

I'll try turning off Google, but I even tried only having the file on the desktop and that didn't work either. I use G-Drive and would think there'd be a fix for this as a number of people use this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I paused G-Drive and am also saving to the desktop and have NOT had the issue anymore. I also was able to save to my G-Drive with it paused without any issues.

Thank you to all for the replies, but the comment about being in IT and using CS5.5 was interesting. If you spend over $1k on a program, do you just dump it if it still works on an OS update? Maybe you have that kind of cash but I do not. Also, I wish they'd keep updating rather than CC as I also own CS6 but you can only use so many copies on so many computers. Getting the facts before posting such a poor opinion would serve you well to learn and to be a better human in the future. Everyone has a story...including you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2018 0