• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I prevent Adobe Acrobat Update Service from running at startup?

Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any entry in Task Manager -> Startup, and I don't see an Acrobat Reader preference item for updates.

I'm running Acrobat Reader V 2017.009 on Windows 10.

Thanks in advance for help.

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Adobe Reader does not run at startup.  I think you are trying to prevent Adobe Acrobat Update Service from starting.

As I mentioned, you can prevent this service from starting temporarily by disabling it using Service Manager.

However, most likely it will get enabled again outside of your control.

To prevent this Service from being installed, you have to install Reader and\or Acrobat (any version) using Windows Installer (MSI) command line with the public property DISABLE_ARM_SERVICE_INSTALL set to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your intention to prevent updates or stop extra service from running?

You can disable it using Service Manager, but it will be updated and started again with the next Acrobat or Reader Windows Installer transaction (repair, update, etc...), whenever this transaction might happen.

You can also install Reader and Acrobat customized with the specific property to avoid this service installation. This should be done for all Acrobat and Reader applications installed on the same system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello LeoAdobeX -

My intention is that services I consider to be non-essential not run at Startup, for reasons that are obvious to all technical people.

My intention is to manually check for updates periodically.

Do I correctly understand from your post that preventing Acrobat Reader from running at Startup will require that I (re-)install a different version of Acrobat Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader does not run at startup.  I think you are trying to prevent Adobe Acrobat Update Service from starting.

As I mentioned, you can prevent this service from starting temporarily by disabling it using Service Manager.

However, most likely it will get enabled again outside of your control.

To prevent this Service from being installed, you have to install Reader and\or Acrobat (any version) using Windows Installer (MSI) command line with the public property DISABLE_ARM_SERVICE_INSTALL set to 1. You can alternatively use Adobe Customization Wizard application to achieve the same result, but you will have to know how to use Direct Editor view.

If you already have ARM service installed with any Reader or Acrobat, you have to uninstall these products completely and make sure that nothing installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0 before using command line installation or customized installation.

One more hint - if you uninstall Reader and\or Acrobat, and still see any files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0,

check if there is a folder called C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\Cache

If there is a file in this folder, double click on it and follow the screens to uninstall ARM.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LeoAdobeX, thank you for the 2nd reply.

I have uninstalled Adobe Reader and now consider the issue resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found the correct answer that the Guest was looking for. It is not scheduled to run at startup through normal means, but is in the Task Scheduler. Open Task Scheduler and [Right Click]Adobe Update->[Click]Disable.

The same has to be done for Gupdate from Google. Hope this helps someone in the future!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines