• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to disable default opening of Print dialog box?

Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a file and when I open it the print dialog comes up along with the file.  I guess this is something the creator put into the document; however I cannot find a way to disable this.  Do you know of a way to disable it so that the print dialog does not open every time I open the document.

Using Acrobat Pro XI on Windows 10.

Thank you, Rich

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Try this:

disable JavaScript in Acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

disable JavaScript in Acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou veryy much Bernd Alheit, I was also facing the same problem sir. Lots of blessings to you from God and me.😇😇🙏🏻🙏🏻

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked.  Thank you Bernd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't there a more proper way for this??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is usually done with a script that is embedded at the doc level. If you have Acrobat Pro you can probably remove it by going to Tools - JavaScript - Document JavaScripts and editing the code. Look for something like this line and remove it:

this.print();

Then save the file and re-open it and the dialog should no longer appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work because there was nothing in the script box. Suggestions. Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to share the actual file with us for further help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file is not publicly available. Also, if this is a book I hope you have the rights to publicly distribute it. If not, don't do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have sample file, would you be able to crack it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue and had nothing listed under Document JavaScripts either. I selected All JavaScripts and the print command was there. I removed it and now the document opens normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain the steps to get to select "All JavaScripts"

I have disabled all JavaScripts through 

Edit

Preferences 

JavaScript

unchecked enable JavaScript 

and now a yellow bar appears when I open the pdf that says "JavaScript is currently disabled…"

I just want to see a clean pdf when I open, like I saw a month ago until some update occurred and now I have these random work arounds. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain the steps to get to select "All JavaScripts"

You will see this at Tools > Javascript

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't removed JavaScript from the file, from what you described. Since it's still there, you get a warning. Seems correct. You need to go to the Document JavaScripts and form designer and remove every one. More a programmer task. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attempted TRY67's method: Tools > JavaScript > Document JavaScripts, but the script box appeared to be empty as well.  However, editing the JavaScript through the "JavaScript Editor" worked.

Tools > JavaScript > All JavaScripts

You would just need to have basic programming knowledge to remove the print functions.  I delete all the scripts that were not "Commented //", and that fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add your own scripts there. Just name it "scripts", for example.

And it's not a good idea to edit the code via Edit All JavaScripts. If you mess up one of the tags the file can become corrupt beyond repair!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I would like to thank you too Rich for asking this question as it solved my issue too.. Thankyouu, God bless you 😇🙏🏻

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same issue and found that in the preferences of the printer itself, "Print Preview" was enabled by a check box. Disabling this got rid of the Pop Up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines