• 한국 커뮤니티
    Spezielle Community für Koreanischsprachige
Beenden

Web address with dash (-) in PDF generated by PDF-printer has gone wrong

Neu hier ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Link in Zwischenablage kopieren

Kopiert

If PDF file is created by PDF-printer from MS-word and has internet address with dash (  -  ) in this case the link is out of order. If in browser address line the dash is changed from keyboards it runs properly. Anybody knows how it fix?

THEMEN
PDF-Dateien erstellen

Zugriffe

Übersetzen

Übersetzen

Melden

Melden
Community-Richtlinien
Seien Sie freundlich und respektvoll, geben Sie die ursprüngliche Quelle der Inhalte an und suchen Sie vor dem Absenden Ihres Beitrags nach Duplikaten. Weitere Informationen
community guidelines
LEGENDE ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Kopiert

Is the link created from the link tool or is the URL being auto-recognized? There are many different dashes and hyphens if the link is auto recognized and is not a true hyphen (as opposed to a dash) that could be the problem.

Stimmen

Übersetzen

Übersetzen

Melden

Melden
Community-Richtlinien
Seien Sie freundlich und respektvoll, geben Sie die ursprüngliche Quelle der Inhalte an und suchen Sie vor dem Absenden Ihres Beitrags nach Duplikaten. Weitere Informationen
community guidelines
Neu hier ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Kopiert

Hi Michael,
the link was copied from browser address line and pasted into MS word document. After that:
1. If I create PDF file with built-in Microsoft Office tool or any other alternative PDF printer (like bullzip, doPDF etc) everything runs OK.
2. If PDF file is created by Adobe PDF-printer (Adobe distiller)  the links with dash are broken.

Stimmen

Übersetzen

Übersetzen

Melden

Melden
Community-Richtlinien
community guidelines
LEGENDE ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Kopiert

There is no link in the document since you did not use the link tool. What you have is an auto-recognized link. I cannot tell you why it doesn't work properly. What happens if you create the PDF from the Adobe ribbon Create PDF item. It uses different technology than distiller. You could use the link tool to ensure the link works properly.

Stimmen

Übersetzen

Übersetzen

Melden

Melden
Community-Richtlinien
community guidelines
Community-Einsteiger ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Kopiert

I have the same problem.  In my case, the hyphen (dash, minus-sign) is the last character in the URL.   Here are more specifics about what's going on.

Contrary to what Machel Kazlow said, the hyper-link is active.  Clicking on the link does cause an attempt to open a page in the browser.  The page is not found.  Upon inspection of browser's address line, inspecting the URL which failed, the problem causing the URL to fail becomes clear.  During PDF creation, the hyphen (dash) is being interpreted as a line continuation, or escape of some sort.  The resultant URL no longer ends at the hyphen; additional text has been appended.  What happens during PDF creation is that the URL does not terminate at the final hyphen, and instead consumes all following white space in the document until it reaches a token (word) in the document, which it appends to the URL.  

This is happening when I convert a Microsoft Word document into a PDF.  I am working on a Mac.  I have the latest Word for Mac, which is Version 16.32, but I had the same problem with Word 2011 for Mac.  I am creating the links in two different ways in Word, via "Insert" in the main menu, and also via "Link" in the ribbon.  The link works fine within Word, but fails when the document is converted to PDF via Print -> pdf -> Save as PDF.  

I have tried every variation that  I can think of, always with the same result.  If I could, I would rename the URL so it does not end with a hyphen, but that's not an option for me.  When Google Drive creates a share-able link, the link text (the name) is made up of random characters; probably one out of 64 of these random link names ends in a hyphen.  This problem will affect more people as more people use Google Drive and embed such randomly named links into their documents.

Apparently this bug has been around for many years, but prior to Google Drive such URLs ending in hyphen were rare, so there are not many reports about the problem.  This will grow.

Stimmen

Übersetzen

Übersetzen

Melden

Melden
Community-Richtlinien
community guidelines
Community-Einsteiger ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Kopiert

Work-around for problem of Word to PDF conversion of link with hyphen (dash) at the end:

Instead of "print -> pdf -> save as pdf", I did the following:

--  Save As 

-- File format:  "pdf"

-- (radio button) "Best for electronic distribution ..."

-- [export]

Stimmen

Übersetzen

Übersetzen

Melden

Melden
Community-Richtlinien
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Kopiert

What MichaelKazlow said was not that the link was not active. He asked whether it was an auto-generated link, or an actual link object. This is an important question, because the answer will determine what process is to blame for this error.

You can find it out easily by going to Edit - Preferences - General and checking ig "Create links from URLs" is ticked. If so, untick it and return to the document. Is the link still active? If so, then it's a "real" link, which means the culprit is the process in which the PDF file was created, or the source document itself. If it's not it means it's not a real link but a temporary one created by Acrobat (or Reader) from the plain-text URL. In that case the fault is with Acrobat, but also with the document's creator who should have added an actual link instead of relying on the application to do it for them.

Stimmen

Übersetzen

Übersetzen

Melden

Melden
Community-Richtlinien
community guidelines
Community-Einsteiger ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Kopiert

To @try67: These posts discuss a real bug that needs to get fixed.  Although (sorry but) your comment is actually a distraction, you can be helpful by taking the steps I outline later in this reply.

Regardless of how the original poster, @andrey_shel's link was created, the point raised by your post is well covered and contradicted by my post, where I write that:

> I am creating the links in two different ways in Word, via "Insert" in the main menu, and also via "Link" in the ribbon.

So, the problem does occur with a "real" link, and furthermore the problem occurs regardless of which of two different "real" methods were used to create the "real" link.  

The whole point of @andrey_shel's post and of my post is that the problem has been isolated and identified, and it (the problem) is the presence of a hyphen (dash, minus sign, '-') at the end of the link.  Let's stay focused on the problem, and not create red-herring trails.

Both @andrey_shel and I determined that various other PDF conversion methods do not have the problem, and that the problem seems to be restricted to a "print" to PDf action; a.k.a. Distiller.  So, there is an extremely specific bug occurring here, one that could be quickly remedied by a competant programmer assigned to the task.  Yet, this bug has been out there for years, (perhaps decades), and Adobe has done nothing about it.  The last thing needed here is yet another distraction.  Adobe needs to be notified about the bug, and then they can fix it.

If you want to be helpful, @try67, please do the following; your effort will be appreciated:  

1. Create a link target with a hypen as the last character.  (That, all by itself, is a bit of a challenge.  Google Drive creates them, but randomly.  For a normal (non-Google) file, you could rename a ".txt" to ".txt-"; that's a valid test to see if you get a "not found" error, just don't expect the text editor to open when it is found.)
  2. Within Word for Mac, using any method you want, create a link that points to that target.  The URL will have a hyphen as the last character.   Make sure that the Word document has some text on the line after the link, like "more here".
  3. Confirm that the link works while still within Word.  (So, for the ".txt-" example, it might not open the file, but the absence of a "not found" error indicates success.)
  4. Use the Mac "print" capability.  So, open the "print" dialog, and within that, use the "as PDF" capability at the bottom left of the dialog.  From the drop-down, choose "as pdf file."  This creates a new file at the location you indicate.
  5. Open the ".pdf".  While in the opened ".pdf", locate the link and click on it. 
  6. Observe the result at your default browser.  I predict you will get a "not found" error.  In that case, examine the address bar of the browser.  I suspect you will see extra text on the URL.  For exampe, given my suggestion that the original Word document should have the text "more here" on the line following the link, the URL will have the word "more" concatinated at the end of the URL, following the hyphen.  (Also, I think maybe the pdf document will have the word "more" missing from the document text.)

Let us know what happens.  Anbody know how to notify Adobe?

Stimmen

Übersetzen

Übersetzen

Melden

Melden
Community-Richtlinien
community guidelines
Neu hier ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Kopiert

AKTUELL

...looks like the issue is still existing and not limited to web adresses... 

I have a email address (abc@X-XXXX.de) added to the footer of my word file, the email address contains a '-' (minus) and if I copy&paste it to the mail program, I have no issue.
If I convert it to a PDF, copy&paste the address to a email, I get an DNS error after sending. The error message complain about a not allowed sign (U+2010, DNS domain xn--XXXXX-bg0c.de does not exist). BTW, the mail address is automatically recognized as email (mailto:) by the PDF (-> clickable). 

If I place the same email address to the normal text area (not the footer), I have no issue...
If I use the O365 build in 'Adobe PDF maker', I have no issue too... 

The issue is not limited to the mail program as this happens at different ones and at different PCs. 

I'm using Win10/O356 and Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2020.012.20048. Happens with PDF compatibility to 1.6 and PDF A/1b:2005 (hadn't tried others...).

Any hints?

Stimmen

Übersetzen

Übersetzen

Melden

Melden
Community-Richtlinien
community guidelines