• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

failure to convert pdf to excel properly

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am desperately trying to convert a 10 page Form 1099-B PDF to an excel sheet. When I go to convert it, excel doesn’t translate it correctly. Even if I were to copy and paste a number item from the PDF, it still does not translate properly.  

For example, if I try to covert or copy and paste the number 395.49, it converts to F,1o5,

I don’t understand and I really do not want to have to manually type out each individual cell.

Please Help!!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Portable Document Format files are not like word processing or spreadsheet files, meaning they don’t contain formatting, rows, and columns. In order for the regular PDF to Excel conversion to give accurate results, the PDF file (and any table inside it) needs to be tagged.

Since dealing with a tagged PDF is such a rare case that you’ll encounter, the most common practice is to simply accept the fact that the quality of your conversion results will be poor and to manually clean up the content using the spreadsheet application of your choice afterward.

Fortunately, there’s a better way to go about PDF to Excel conversion formatting problems. Follow along as we explain how to get accurate results and extract tables that will be useful from the get-go by using Able2Extract Professional – PDF to Excel converter software recommended by professionals from various industries dealing with a massive amount of spreadsheet data locked inside PDFs.

With Custom PDF to Excel advanced options in Able2Extract Professional, you can change up the table selection, set up table structure, manually edit rows and columns, and preview the end result prior to the conversion.

These features help you create a tailored conversion layout so you can get the tables and data you need perfectly formatted and set up for your spreadsheet before you even convert the PDF content.

In the following example, we’ll demonstrate how to use the Custom Excel feature in order to change the layout created automatically by the program.

Notice that the PDF page in this example has two tables surrounded by text.

PDF page with tables surrounded by text

Performing a regular PDF to Excel conversion will result in a spreadsheet that needs a lot of follow-up work in order to be useful. Just take a look at the results seen in this image below:

Automatic PDF to Excel conversion resulting spreadsheet

To analyze the data, you’d need to delete a large part of the text in order for your functions and formulas to work properly. Moreover, you may need a specific portion of that extra text alongside the tables. 

A solution is to use the feature that differentiates Able2Extract from all other PDF converter tools – Custom PDF to Excel.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for this response, however, it still isn't working and converting the incorrect way as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Basia,

Thank you for reaching out.

Would you mind sharing the PDFs that you are trying to convert?

Also, share the converted Excel sheet. 

As there is an issue in translation, please confirm if the PDF was created by you in the Acrobat application or received from an external source.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for getting back to me, I am unable to share the PDF I am speaking of, as it is someone's tax document. 

The PDF was not created by me. It was sent to me as a PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"For example, if I try to covert or copy and paste the number 395.49, it converts to F,1o5,"

Copy and paste doesn't convert it. You will get what is stored in the PDF file. It is a issue of the font encoding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, so there is no way that I can convert it and maintain the showing font, is there? It will continue to convert whatever embeded font exists? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not possible with the Acrobat Online Services.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn, ok. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Basia25796561q1m3,

Just following up for confirmation.

Are you using the Acrobat Oline account or the Acrobat Pro DC desktop application to convert the PDf to Excel?

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Desktop version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for confirming.

Please share the Acrobat and OS versions.

Share the PDF and the Excel file you have created.

We will try to replicate the behavior at our end.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources