• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MXF XDCAM audio tracks option "separate mono tracks" is greyed out: counter-intuitive and confusing

Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many formats have the option to choose between joint stereo channels or separate mono tracks. For broadcast, separate mono tracks are often required. When choosing the XDCAM codec this option is greyed out in AME. The tooltip on mouse hover just says what the option normally *would* do, but not *why it's greyed out*. 

To make matters worse: depending on which preset you're coming from it is either shown as checked or unchecked whilst still greyed out either way, making it seem as if it's not active in some cases and not even possible to activate, because it's greyed out. Took me quite a bit to realize with this codec the option is *always active* despite being greyed out and sometimes incorrectly shown as unchecked. 

Further adding to the confusion: Premiere is interpreting the files we exported automatically as one stereo track by default. For practical purposes that would be fine– IF it didn't lead us editors to believe we weren't exporting separate mono tracks as required. This behavior is quite misleading in this context without any indicator showing the actual audio track structure in the file. There is no good way to check without using third party software (we ended up using VLC to verify that we actually did have two separate tracks) Even "properties" shows it as just "stereo" in Premiere, not 2 mono channels so there is no way to tell. This cost us a lot of time. 

So my suggestions would be:

1) AME should indicate clearly that MXF XDCAM is exporting as two mono tracks and that this is not only the default behavior, but the only behavior. Greying out the unchecked checkbox implies the opposite so that option should either always be shown as checked or hidden altogether.

2) Mouse hover should in this context change from the current description to instead state that this codec only allows mono tracks.

3) When importing such multitrack mono files in Premiere, it's fine that the two mono tracks get interpreted as stereo automatically, BUT there should still be a clear indication that despite being handled as if it just had one single joint stereo track, the file itself really does have separate mono tracks. 

PS: I understand you're trying to make Premiere more beginner friendly by not having us users worry about these kind of technicalities, but please don't forget about the pro users working on broadcast content, for us it is extremely important to know exactly what kind of file we're exporting and we need to be able to check. Please consider our needs, too, thank you!

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Preference and Settings , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

Hello Heiko,

first of all thanks for reaching out to us and give your feedback on our apps. Regarding the checkbox, only IMX and AVC codecs will let you make changes in this settings. For XDCAM it is greyed out, because we will output discrete channels only, following the XDCAM standard. I do understand that showing a checkbox, which is greyed out is confusing and yes we could consider to hide it completely for XDCAM or work on adjusting the tool tip. On the other hand, the XDCAM MXF integration

Votes

Translate

Translate
9 Comments
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS: I am running the most recent version of both Premiere and Media Encoder (24.1.1) on an M1 MacBook Pro with MacOS Sonoma 14.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Asking our friends over at Formats Team…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any update on this issue? Can they replicate what I mean and notice the issue? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless of format restrictions, the first issue to clear would be the greyed-out check box behavior showing a checkmark based on a determined value instead of just coincidentally being checked or unchecked.

It can't just stay checked or unchecked based on its previous state before it gets greyed out, that doesn't make any sense. Yet that's what it currently does. When a checkbox is greyed out, its state apparently gets frozen where it was, but that doesn't convey the correct information.

It should reflect what is actually happening in the background. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't hear back so I filed a bug based on your feedback and will discuss it with the AME team. Sorry for the delay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just talked to the experts. This is valid and only available for IMX and AVCI. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm unsure if I understand your reply correctly. What is valid? I have the issue with MXF XDCAM, I haven't checked if it also persists with AVC-i or IMX as I usually don't deliver in these codecs.

The main issue in my view is that the greyed-out checkbox for separate audio tracks is inconsistently displayed as either checked or unchecked.

Separate audio tracks seem to be a forced behavior here, so the box should always be displayed as checked maybe with a mouse hover hint explaining the limitation to avoid editors losing time unnecessarily on troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Heiko,

first of all thanks for reaching out to us and give your feedback on our apps. Regarding the checkbox, only IMX and AVC codecs will let you make changes in this settings. For XDCAM it is greyed out, because we will output discrete channels only, following the XDCAM standard. I do understand that showing a checkbox, which is greyed out is confusing and yes we could consider to hide it completely for XDCAM or work on adjusting the tool tip. On the other hand, the XDCAM MXF integration is widely accepted and there is currently no plan to work on this area except for bugs of course.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2024 Jun 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Heiko-Brantsch 

If you have a delivery specificaiton sheet asking for MXF XDCAM with audio track assignments that are not supported, I'd send a message to someone that it's "out of spec for the delivery format".

Votes

Translate

Translate