• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I change the name associated with a recipient's email address?

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a draft document where I put in a recipient's email. On the page where I drag and drop signature blocks, that email address is listed as a person's name who used to be in control of the email account but no longer is. How can I change the name that shows up when I put in that email address?

(In normal emails, the actual email address' "name" is a program name - so if they sent someone a normal email the sender's name would be the program name, not the person's name who is showing up in adobe sign. So the problem isn't on the end of the actual email address.)

TOPICS
Adobe Sign forms , Send documents

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Greetings!

The Name value is imported from Adobe Sign, not Salesforce.

At some point, an agreement was sent to "john.smith@test.company.com", and the person that received that signature link entered "Linda Perry" as the name value.  It's possible that the original party forwarded their email to Linda, or entered Linda as a test value.

The best solution would be to log in to the user with the email address john.smith@test.company.com (in Adobe Sign), and change the name value associated with that a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Adobe Acrobat Sign offers the ability to require recipient names upon signing and to update recipient names. Please see https://helpx.adobe.com/sign/using/sign-require-recipient-name.html for details

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Adobe Acrobat Sign offers the ability to require recipient names to be a certain format when sending the agreement out for signature. If the agreement is already sent and you need to correct a recipient's name, you can do that as well. Please see https://helpx.adobe.com/sign/using/sign-require-recipient-name.html for details

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Hi Lisa296353964iem,

Thank you for reaching out.

It can be an issue at the recipient's end. The account name of that user for the Acrobat Sign account is set as that. 

We can check if you can share the recipient's email address in a private message. 

You may send a private message using the envelope icon at the top right corner of the community page. Or you may ask the user to check the name set on his Acrobat Sign profile. 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't change it on your end. The signer needs to simply sign it with the new name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very inconvenient way to keep a database of recipient emails.  I'm not very happy with this service.  I will be changing when my contract is up unless some major updates are done to make it more user friendly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please let us know if this issue has been solved? Or is the outcome the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem -

it is a totally different - irrelevent name on the recipient email address - it is wrong. How Do I change it.??? This wrong name appears on the 2nd page as I set fields, their email address is at the top right corner, but somehow a totally wrong name appears there - I dont even recognize it. Need to change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I don't remember what happened with the account setup...maybe the account was originally under my email and name, then under Person A's name and email...but now it is under Person B's name, and my email address is associated with Person A's name, and she is a former coworker, so everyone who I send stuff to (under Person B's name and email) with my email copied or as a signer, gets confused and wonders why Person A was copied on the document when in reality it is me and I am supposed to be copied on it but Person A doesn't even work here anymore!

It makes it really awkward and just shouldn't be. And I have no idea how to change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bmp890, If you are using a business or enterprise account you need to contact the person(s) who have administrative control of the accounts to straighten out the names associated with the emails on the account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it stil the case that I can't change the name associated with an email address?  This is very problematic because the incorrect name associated with the email address is also being automatically added to the signature block by AdobeSign when the person signs the document.  I have no idea how the incorrect name became associated with the email address in the first place.  I didn't do it.  Please help!  Is there some other way for the person to sign without the incorrect name being tied to their signature block? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem... I'm trying to send an offer letter using an email address of the candidate and the system randomly assigned a first name for the candidate which is not correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Seems like something that Adobe should have corrected in the several years it's been identified as a problem. It's professionally embarrassing to not be able to address documents to the correctly spelled name (or the correct name) of the recipient. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot change the name assigned to the signer's email address, but you can add an alternative signer (provided it has a different email address). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this is still an issue four years later.  I'm on the recipient end, and feeling a little like the organization I'm doing business with needs to get their junk together.  It's been a total pain for me and I'm over it.
I'm not sure if I once signed into Adobe on mobile device using Facebook, or if Adobe grabbed the nickname from my email profile and not my name, but the "Correct Answer" isn't at all correct. The field that has been improperly populated isn't an edit-able field from my end.
The vendor is going to have to generate all new documents and resend them to all the signatories.  I feel sorry for their embarrassment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Complete agree, can't beleive this is still an issue. We send student agreements and the name of the student is not the name that's on the agreement and isn't editable by myself or the student.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jamiel96980906,

Is your Adobe Sign account set up for unlimited users? I am curious if having all students entitled to an Adobe Sign account will allow your organization to manage their Full Name in the Adobe Admin Console.  I would recommend having all students under a default group with the role of signer only. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't belive you can't change damn name! I have Mike who SOMEHOW got his email associated with Megan (maybe it's his assistant) but now every time I send him a doc it reads "this document has been sent to Megan for signature"...this should be so easy to fix! I freaked out like who the hell is Megan!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. I am requesting a signature from someone who was recently married. I changed her name in my outlook contacts and when that didn't work, I deleted the contact and entered a new one with her married name. When I click on the new contact as a recipient, it still populates with her maiden name. This is ridiculous. I will send it by DocuSign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I literally switched to docusign simply because of this issue. You cannot change a name and that seems so basic to me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue today: the recipient’s First and Last Name was missing when they received their form to sign. I assumed that creating the Full Name field would allow the signee to enter their own name.

It’s a security thing – You (the creator of the document/sender/person requesting the e-signature) can’t control the first and last name of a person associated with the email. When you think about it that way, it makes sense.

Here’s 2 scenarios:

1. The person associated with the email has an Adobe account.
  • The Account Name in Adobe is “Marsha Brady”
  • Marsha will be the First Name, Brady will be their last name and you can’t change that.
  • If someone else took over that email, they need to log into Adobe with that email and update their Account information to change their First and Last name

1. The person associated with an email does not have an Adobe account
    • The First and Last Name will be blank when they go to sign their e-form
    • Solution – They need to create an account in Adobe with their email and add their proper First and Last name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Sign offers the ability to require recipient names to be a certain format when sending the agreement out for signature. If the agreement is already sent and you need to correct a recipient's name, you can do that as well. Please see https://helpx.adobe.com/sign/using/sign-require-recipient-name.html for details

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can the recipient update the name while signing the document? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link above takes you to a page that is blank.  That is not at all helpful!  It says it was last updated Mar 15, 2023 but there's nothing on the page.  What the heck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a situation where my CLIENT WILL NOT SIGN THE CONTRACT BECAUSE THE NAME IN ADOBE ASSOCIATED WITH THE EMAIL IS DIFFERENT, AND HE CAN'T TYPE OVER THE OLD NAME. WHAT IS GOING ON? THIS HAS HAPPENED TWICE. TODAY. I CAN'T EVEN CHANGE THE NAME, I CAN'T FIND THE "SEND SETTINGS". THIS IS BRUTAL!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert285652790oww,

Thank you for reaching out.

Could you please share more information about the issue here? When you say the name associated with Adobe shows as different, do you mean the recipient's name on his end when trying to sign the document?

Would you mind sharing the email address used to send the document in a private message? Also, the name that appears and the name it should be. We will be checking the user's account name on the Adobe account.  

Use the envelope icon at the top right corner to initiate the private message.

Thanks,

Meenakshi 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact situation. How does this get corrected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same situation here - cannot change the name associated with an email address and the client won't sign the document. What was the answer from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines