• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save if file is on a Google-sync'd drive

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi elainecc , I'm getting the same issue (could not save the document), but I don't think I have complex characters in my username (unless a space is a complex character?). Which username is this? The Windows or Adobe CC one?

One interesting note: I can "Save As" if I save it as a different filename from the existing file e.g.

• I have a file abc.xd
  • "Save" or "Save As" existing file -> "Could not save the document"
  • "Save As" different filename e.g. abc1.xd -> works

Also, the document is in a local Google Drive folder. I tried saving to my Desktop and initially got the same error, but after closing and opening again it seems it might be ok if the file is not in GDrive. I'll check and edit this if there is any update.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Hey neekolaus​-

We weren't actually able to reproduce this on our side - we saved to a sync'd GDrive folder, and it worked fine. Can you let us know what the actual name of your file was?

Thanks,

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey neekolaus-

It sounds like a different issue, so I've branched your question off into a different one. We'll take a look at it to see if we can reproduce it!

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey neekolaus​-

We weren't actually able to reproduce this on our side - we saved to a sync'd GDrive folder, and it worked fine. Can you let us know what the actual name of your file was?

Thanks,

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still getting this error. Even after the Mar-2017 update on Windows 10.

If the file in on a Google Drive synced folder, sometimes it works but most of the time I get the below error message. So I have to save in another folder and move the file in Google Drive synced folder.

xd-error.png

Another issue is that if I hit Ctrl+S and then lock my PC and walk off as I usually do before leaving my desk, and for the above reason it did not save, sometimes XD closes while in the PC is locked. When I come back all my unsaved work is gone. Lost 4 hours worth of work yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you check to see which version of the GDrive connector you're using? Does this happen all the time, or does it happen occasionally? And are you on a corporate intranet?

Thanks,

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I'm using Google Drive version 1.32.4066.7445
  • Happens most of the time like 8/10 times. I checked if it happens only when the file is syncing but that is not the case.
  • No. Open Internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this marked as the correct answer? It doesn't even offer a solution. This is an ongoing issue for a lot of users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also for me. google sync lock the file, and I must "save As"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug is obviously very present, but notable on big files and slow connection especially. Google Drive is obviously locking file to prevent saving while it syncs. But if you do not save the file and just shut down Photoshop, it gets deleted. May be a Windows explorer error as well.

Here is a good description of the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. I was able to "Pause" the desktop sync while I'm working and turn it off when I'm done. I right+click on the "Backup and Sync" icon in the bottom right tray on my PC. And select "Pause".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very annoying issue that is present for quite a while, the only solution right now is to quit Backup and Sync while I'm working on those files. I hope Google will finally soon address it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to "Pause" the Backup and Sync before I start working on any important (big) files. Then "Resume" once I'm done so the new files get synced w/ the drive. It's helped a lot, just have to remember to turn it on/off.Pause.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm i also have to do this right now.  I can usually get one save in and then the file gets locked until i pause or quit (usually quit) to release the permissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. (Win 10 & Google Drive)

Logic seems to tell us this must be a problem with either Google Drive or File Explorer or both. I say this because I'm seeing the problem across applications and especially in File Explorer. For me, the problem shows as not being able to save a file that I just opened, not being able to change a filename in Explorer, not being able to open a file (other than read-only) after saving and closing the application. In Explorer, I frequently see a spinning "working" cursor and cannot perform any file maintenance operation during this time. Really annoying.

As DusanVr noted, the problem seems to be worse with larger files but this really shouldn't present an issue with well-designed sync software. For some time now, I've used the same solution as others here... pause Google Sync and restart only after I'm finished working. I've also created a local work folder and drag a copy to Drive when I'm done.

It's hard to say exactly when the problem started, but there was a clear point in time for me when all of the above problems appeared. I had experienced NONE of the problems before __ weeks ago. My gut tells me it was sometime in August but I didn't log anything so I can't trust my memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been going on for me for a few years now. It seems that Google fixed it one of the last versions in Google Drive sync before they revamped their software and changed to Backup and Sync, which appears to not have included that fix and so the problem continues again.

I would recommend that everyone also try using the "Send Feedback" function in Backup and Sync and report this problem to Google as well.

As a workaround, I created a script to shut down the Backup and Sync process before saving automatically every 15 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, glad I'm not same person having this issue.

Google Drive locks the PSD files so 'save' doesn't work, do 'save as' and it's fine. But original PSD has completely disappeared from my computer! Luckily have done a 'save as' so have new version - but have lost a couple of files when I haven't done a 'save as'. It's really bad.

Will try pausing sync as others have suggested - bit of a pain but hopefully it'll be fixed one day (although not likely seeing that I've seen some people have had the issue for about 2 years!!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. The problem is very easy to reproduce:

• copy and paste a large .psd file in your Google Drive folder. Make sure your sync is enabled and that you have selected a file that can't be uploaded before you get to the last point in this procedure (slow down your network, there are network debug tools you could use to do that, if you are on something like gigabit internet);
  • Open the fresh copy from your Google Drive folder into Photoshop;
  • Before it has finished uploading make a change and try to save.

The issue is simple - editing and saving within a PSD/PSB which is still being uploaded.

I don't know if you can fix this, but it is extremely annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pausing sync doesn't seem to work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess some of the bug reports to Google paid off:

"Fixed issues where files were locked when saving from Adobe and Microsoft Office applications on Windows."

Fixed in Backup & Sync version 3.39:

Backup and Sync release notes - G Suite Administrator Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the 3.39 version but the issue is still permanent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, unfortunately, Google did not do a proper job fixing the issue.

Here is a thread where other users have reported the same issue and a Google employee responded:

Google Groups

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous and stupid. No other app has this issue. I can save files onto my Google Drive JUST FINE. Don't try to put the blame on Google, and don't try to say you can't reproduce it. This isn't even a thing you need to "reproduce". It happens EVERY TIME. If you save a big file on G Drive, make changes, then save again, Adobe will say "SCREW YOU". NO OTHER APP DOES THIS. FIX IT FFS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My AE file won't save unless I rename the file, very annoying.  The error message reads: After Effects error: reading from file "G:my drive file location" Error code (3::6)  Pausing the sync does not change anything. I have a new machine, new adobe suite and have a massive google drive account why is this happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switched to using onedrive and everything worked perfectly

Even my * .ai file automatically syncs images that have been connected to the file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines