• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

32 bit EXR img sequences still max out memory and crash.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All versions of the new AE are unable to deal with longer sequences of EXRs (DWAB). Tested on 22.1.1 beta too and still broken. Fails on all of our teams Windows 10 machines (20H2) 64Gb memory. Very disapointed as this is the format used by most 3D artists doing serious colour work and post. Oddly the same AE file brought into premiere to render to Proress4444 handles it just fine. Using this inside AE is impossible as it fills the RAM in the backround till the machine struggles to function. It ignores the memory prefs, dropping to half (32Gb for remaining OS) it still uses 99% memory and falls over. EXR files created in C4D with alpha. Can supply link to test project if you wish. Please fix this issue as it has caused many days of problems in our company. We have resorted back to older AE to render the job but this is poor.

TOPICS
Bug , Crash , Error , Feedback , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope - still broken.

I have 64 GB of ram and reseved 12Gb for other apps within AE (i normally leave around 8 if its working). Opening the project and leaving it on build 22.2.0(build17) it still hits 99% memory straight away,  and obviously stability and function falls over. Will keep trying each Beta as it comes out. Been resorting to old builds of AE to get things done. Next 3D project I will try replacing the poor Adobe AE EXR plug in code and update here with results. Can I ask if you are using windows 10? I have a colleague who managed to render this on their Mac - it didnt fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was testing on Mac. Will try on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dermot_faloon,

Thank you for perservering with us on this one. If you haven't already, please try lowering the amount of memory given to After Effects and see if that allows your renders to complete. Perhaps start with 40GB to After Effects on a 128GB machine.

Thanks again,

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the latest update using build 22.2.025 (8th Dec)

Windows 10 64GB Ram

Tested reserving 12Gb so AE has 52Gb available. Quicky spiked to using 99% of teh memory and causing all sorts of stability trouble. Force Quit and restarted.

Tested reserving 32Gb so Ae has 32Gb available. It renders out fine although looking at task manager the memory usage for AE sat around 45-48 Gb of usage, not 32 as instructed. 

I hope you get this resolved and it doesnt become one of those issues like Auto Save not autosaving every (x) and just doing it at random. 

I will continue to try each Beta but I think you need to warn users to reduce memory to get some form of stability until you figure out what is wrong. This affects peoples ability to manage project and deadlines over the busy Christmas/New year advertising period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest test on Beta 22.2.0.29 - 9th Dec

Windows 10 64Gb Ram 

40Gb for AE and 24Gb reserved still stressed the sytem too much at hit 99% causing issues - lowest memory use around 54Gb used by AE.

32Gb for AE and 32Gb reserved was more stable - still used way beyond the 32 it is supposed to stop at but managed to finish - froze and flashed a few times but completed in a fair time. Cant say about other projects with mixed assets and effects use as I am still waiting until it shows itself to be stable enough for practical daily use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for keeping after this, @dermot_faloon. I've gotten a batter handle on what's happening. The version of the OpenEXR plug-in shipping with the latest AE is handling its internal caching differently than the posted version, in hopes of working better with Multi-Frame Rendering. But there are some issues with the new approach, as you've discovered.

Try this new build of the plug-in for Windows and hopefully you'll find it no longer fills up your memory. Once it's been tested, we'll get it into a future AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest test on Beta 22.2.0.29 - 9th Dec using seperate EXR format plug in supplied above.

64Gb Ram Windows 10

32 Gb reserved and 32Gb given to AE - rendered fine in 12:58 and used approx 30Gb Ram, never over.

12 Gb Reserved and 52Gb given to AE - rendered fine in 9.54 and used approx 49Gb, never ran over.

So it looked to be working as it should, this test does not have effects applied but I assume this will hold the same.

CPU looked to have maxed out too as it wasnt fighting as much with the memory.

Looks to have been fixed. Will check on the latest Beta and update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We now have the updated bits from @fnordware integrated into the latest AE beta builds. We'd love to get some external testing to confirm the integration. Try out build 22.2.0x85 or later and let us know if things are better for you.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @jenkmeister@fnordware & @dermot_faloon.

I'm also experiencing fatal memory leaks with 32bpc EXR files (HD) that are using Extractor to resolve 47 channels per file. It occurs in AE or using Media Encoder. I'm wondering if the leak is happening with Extractor? When I have time to test I will, but do you know if this happens when the channels are written out to separate files? If the bottleneck is with the unpacking of the EXR in AE, I'll gladly clutter my files with more pieces just to save me from the crashing until we can get it sorted. Brendan, if you read this, you've been so helpful over the decades, please know that all of your hard work is so greatly appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am experiancing all the same issues, with 16bit. I have to use multipul EXR files and I can berly get one to work. as soon as I add a second AE freezes up. I am on the latest 24... version. Is there a solution to this yet? I am not sure how this file is an industry standard if I cant get it to load. 

Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources