• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 23.6 can't continue: internal structure inconsistency (g) ( 25 :: 2 ) macOS Sonoma

Enthusiast ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects froze my whole computer tonight. I did a force restart and when I came back up, I was greeted with these 3 errors (see attached screenshots) and After Effects refused to open. Errors:

1. After Effects can't continue: internal structure inconsistency (g) ( 25 :: 2 )
  2. After Effects error: globals unborn. ( 21 :: 3 )
  3. After Effects can't continue: unexpected failure during application startup

I uninstalled AE then reinstalled it. Errors persisted. I used CC cleaner. Errors persisted. I can't get back into normal AE 23.6. Please help!!!! Mac OS Sonoma 14.0, 64gb ram.

update 10/15/23 this is the 3rd time in a 1-2 week span that AE has crashed on me and now i cant get back in again becaus of global unborns. I cleared the contents of the preferences folder and the media core folder. Then tried to open AE. The 3 errors persisted and AE wouldn't open. So I went to adobe live chat. the minute they remoted in, I could open AE again. But the minute I ended the live remote, I couldnt get into AE and the 3 errors persisted again. It defied logic.  Another operator remoted in and uninstalled creative cloud and reinstalled and the 3 errors still persisted (media core folder was empty). He couldnt figure it out and asked if a senior tech could call me back tomorrow. I said no, please we need to fix this tonight. He ended up going to the application on the desktop, right click on AE, "show package contents", go into Contents -> MacOs -> and within that folder is a 106kb file called "after Effects" and he opened it with terminal and then AE opened.

Title edited by Mod.

why did the mod change the title of my post? this has nothing to do with cant continue? this has to do with AE crashing and not reopening.  Anyway: folks dont freak out, go to adobe live chat (https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html) and ask them to remote in and fix it for you. you'll see them go to activity monitor in apple and force quit out of all the adobe activity. then they'll probably uninstall , and remove your preferences and remove your plugins from media core.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

The cause of the issue appears to be Sonoma adjusting the permissions and access to folders that After Effects requires to run. These include:

• /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins/7.0/MediaCore
  • /Users/[Username]/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/[Version]

To check for the appropriate permissions:

1. Navigate to /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins/7.0/
    • Right-click on the MediaCore folder and choose Get Info from the context menu.
    • Open the Sharing & Permission

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate
81 Comments
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after effects ( any version ) isnt working with the beta update of mac os sonoma with an error saying after effects cannot continue : internal structure inconsistency (g) (25::2) 

i havent made any backup idk what to do now the project needs to be finished asap so i cant downgrade !!!

System info
    Application: After Effects v23.6.0.62 + 22.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Messing with any OS update, especially this early in the development of the OS, is incredibly dangerous. If you depend on your computer to make a living, either set up a dual boot system to switch back to a working system in a couple of minutes or invest in a second computer. I always create and save a bootable external hard drive so I can get back to work.

You have two choices if you don't have a reliable backup system. The first is to live with the problems until the folks who make the software you are using have the time to do their own troubleshooting and work out the issues created by the new OS (or new virus protection or even new fonts). This includes Adobe and all of the 3rd party plugins and scripts that you use. The other is to rebuild your entire system using a working copy of the OS, and then, before you start fiddling with the new OS again, you buy an external hard drive and make a bootable backup of your system. On the Mac, that is not a Time Machine backup. That's a bootable hard drive containing all the apps, plugins, and extensions you use on your machine. 

There are a few options on the Mac side to create a bootable copy of your system. You might start your search here: https://www.howtogeek.com/399058/how-to-make-a-bootable-clone-of-your-macs-hard-drive/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a bug in AE Beta builds quite a few builds ago, I think around 3D model import, that could have caused the internal structure inconsistency.

Did you happen to install the AE Beta at some point and use it with this project? 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else encountered the 'after effects can't continue: internal structure inconsistency (g) (25 :: 2)' error message after updating to macOS Sonoma? If so, how did you resolve it or are there any known fixes for this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Ganidu325883531aud ,

Thanks for reporting this issue.

Looking internally, this error message is likely coming from an error with an effect. Are you using vanilla AE or any 3rd party effects/plugins? 

All the best,
Jessica
AE Engineering

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue as well. Just updated to Sonoma, and built a new project file on AE beta that won't open in AE 23.6. Any ideas how to fix? Is there any way to revert to older OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I waited long enough but I didn't. I created a project in AE beta and the just upgraded to Sonoma and it's not working-Help! Please fix this Adobe- now please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

24.0/24.1 project files aren't directly compatible with 23.6. It's not related to the OS upgrade, more that the project versions change with a major AE version change.

You'll need to use Save As AE 2023 from the File Menu to save a version back to AE 23.6. That said, if you're using 3D models, 23.6 does not support that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did ctrl+alt+shift on program start to clear prefs, fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Damn issue. It showed up strught afetrr I updated to the latest Sonoma OS. I cant revert back to due to the luck of back up. I have also stupidly did my security updated that corrolates to the Sonoma Os, so =even if I revert back I have to find the way to revert back my Sevcurity software too as well as the After Effects ( I ran an Uopdate there too) and Maxon Apps (Which I also updated to ran with Sonoma Os. Why is this happening. IS the OS systems corrupted? Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

even i have same issue how can i resolve

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2019 (macOS Sonoma)

- 2,3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

- AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

- 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

After Effects 2023 keeps freezing after about 30 minutes working on a project. I'm not doing any heavy animation: just editing very basic text layers. There's always a point where I'm playing back what I made, and the screen will just freeze. The audio keeps playing, but I can't use my mouse or keyboard anymore. So then I'll have to reboot my computer. Now when I try open After Effects again, I'll get this error: After Effects can't continue: internal structure inconsistency (g) (25 :: 2). This was after the update to macOS Sonoma... The freezing happened often before that update too though. Things I tried: Purging the disc cache, disabling Mercury Transmit, disabling hardware accelerated decoding.

How to solve this problem? I'm wasting a lot of valuable time here on constantly rebooting my computer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE 2023 has not been updated to support Sonoma. There are likely to be issues. I think you could try deleting your preferences and the application manually, and see if that helps. Those are are symptomatic of corrupt files. 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rachinc1,

Sorry to hear that.

How do you launch After Effects? Do you double-click a project file or click the After Effects icon? Did you install any new fonts recently in your system?

Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE 2023 has not been updated to support Sonoma. There are likely to be issues. I think you could try deleting your preferences and the application manually, and see if that helps. Those are symptomatic of corrupt files.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your live chat had to remove in. remove media core 3rd party plug ins. clean up some stuff. then it worked. then we moved the media core plugins back in and it worked fine on sonoma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to downgrade to 23.0. i had the same problem on ventura, but when i downgraded it gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roy_Koch,

Are you using any third-party plug-ins? Try running After Effects in Safe Mode with the third-party plug-ins disabled. If that doesn't work, try removing them from the Media Core folder temporarily. Location of the Media Core folder: HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plugins/7.0/MediaCore (Remove or all the files and folder except dummy.txt)

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue - does anyone know if/when there will be an update to After Effects to support Sonoma? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem can someone help? Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a Sonoma issue. The solution is listed already you have to remove the plug-ins from Media core

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered the same problem today after upgrading to Mac OS Sonama. To resolve the issue, simply open the After Effect application, press option+command+shift (it clears the preferences) and the application will open normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Are there any third-party plug-ins installed? Try running After Effects in Safe Mode with the third-party plug-ins disabled. If that doesn't work, try removing them from the Media Core folder temporarily. Location of the Media Core folder: HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plugins/7.0/MediaCore (Remove or all the files and folder except dummy.txt).

We're investigating this issue. Please let us know the names of the plug-ins that you disabled/removed.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

disagree. im using AE just fine now and im on sonoma. you have to remove your plugins and then put them back

Votes

Translate

Translate