• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After effects is so slow, impossible to preview, and it uses 90% of computers memory!

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a major problem with after effects. It is working really slow! Render previews are almost impossible, even when i hide a layer it takes ten seconds to show me the result in preview! each time i move the time indicator I have to wait at least 10 seconds to see the resaults.  It's frustrating to work with! Also the minute i start after effects it uses 90% of my memory even before I open any projects!!

The resoloution in both comp window and Preview window is on quarter. All other softwares are closed. The project and it's files are on a SSD drive with 319GB free space, my cash folder is on another SSD drive with 180GB free space and after effects is installed on my c drive wich is also SSD and has 138GB free space.

I am currently working with After effects 2023 and these are my ASUS laptop configurations:

Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H 2.30 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.6 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

i also share some scrronshots. Can some one please tell me what should i do?

Screenshot (93).pngScreenshot (94).pngScreenshot (95).png 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16 GB of RAM is not that much for After Effects. Even with a fast SSD for cache, all frames are still rendered to RAM first. You're using a lot of PNG sequences, and AE is notoriously slow with playing those back. I would instead use OpenEXR. You can get very small file sizes if you use DWAA or DWAB compression, I often get smaller file sizes and better performance with this format than I do with PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. Actualy the project was given to me pre-composed, I didn't have a role in choosing the render format of the 2D animates before they get to compositing. What should I do in such a case?

Also I don't think PNG sequences are the main problem because just last week I had a light motion graphic project with no PNG sequences and no 3D layers but I still had a tough time previewing even one frame of it! Here is a picture from this project layers: Screenshot (96).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Performance is determined by so many things, and your comps might just be too heavy. Do you see the little snail icon at the bottom-left of your Timeline? That's the Composition Profiler, and it's pretty cool. Read through this article to understand how to properly use it, but this tool is a great way to find bottlenecks in your comp: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/composition-profiler.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cool, I didn't know that existed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines