Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After effects menu bar and mouse right click not working [macOS Monterey]

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!
After i upadeted my macbook pro m1 to macos Monterrey my after affects stop working good.

Screenshot 2021-11-02 at 6.03.39 PM.png

This menu bar not working correctly when i try click on file, edit, compisition etc. I have to pess and hold the left mouse click to open the menu but it still not work correct.

Beside it, when i do right mouse click on for example composition menu - it doesnt work. Nothing happens when i do right clock. Its not open. 

please,help me.

p.s. i have macos monterrey 12.0.1
and all i said about doesnt working on AE 22 and old versrions too.

TOPICS
Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Hi all,

My apologies that you're experiencing this bug. Thank you for reporting this and sharing workarounds.

The After Effects team is working on this. I'll share an update as soon as the bug is fixed.

Meanwhile, I'm posting all the workarounds in this post so that it's easier for the community to follow them without having to go through all the comments.

Workaround 1: Open the project file in Finder (not from After Effects)

Workaround 2: Click the “Learn" workspace preset

Screenshot at Feb 10 15-43-32.png

Workaround 3: Unpl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to do this twice for it to work. Open a project from finder then open another one, then I found it works! Stupid fix but such is adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

you saved me!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, AE 2022 on macOS 12.2. Looks like the menubar AND any context menu through the app doesn't appear on first click, but on second click it shows the menu and the instantly disappears. 

POTENTIAL WORKAROUNDScreen Shot 2022-01-28 at 9.32.11 AM.png

I can get the menubar and context menus to work again by clicking any of these workspace presets (specifically tested by clicking "learn") This seems to bring back context menus until AE restarts and then I need to click these again at least once to get them working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You beautuful human!!!! I have tried so many things over the last 8 hours and this is the only thing that worked!!! I may make my deadline now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're literally heaven sent, thank you so much 😊 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

My apologies that you're experiencing this bug. Thank you for reporting this and sharing workarounds.

The After Effects team is working on this. I'll share an update as soon as the bug is fixed.

Meanwhile, I'm posting all the workarounds in this post so that it's easier for the community to follow them without having to go through all the comments.

Workaround 1: Open the project file in Finder (not from After Effects)

Workaround 2: Click the “Learn" workspace preset

Screenshot at Feb 10 15-43-32.png

Workaround 3: Unplug the secondary monitor (if you have dual monitors)

Workaround 4: Close the “True Layer Duplicator” plugin window (if you're using that)

NOTE: I'm tagging this as a Correct Answer for now. When the bug-fix is available, I'll unmark this as the Correct Answer.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm adding to this thread because it seemed there were a lot of solutions which didn't work for me, so I'm going to share what did.

1. Uninstall After Effects and check or enable uninstalling all the settings.

2. Install After Effects and do not migrate anything from any previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing, Allucinari.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was working with one of my users today and he was showing me this issue. I noticed when he launched AE the "Home" screen or initial splash screen didn't show up and the issue manifested. I went in and unchecked Enable Home Screen and the issue appeared to stop. Can you guys uncheck this option, then quit and relaunch AE and see if that resolves it?

home.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for starting this thread Andrey.  I have the same problem and none of the above workarounds seem to fix it for me.  It happens in After Effects 2020 and 2021 and started immediately after I updated to Mac OS Monterey.  On a side note, I also no longer have enough disk space for my after effects cache after the update.  It looks like Monterey takes up around 80 gigs more than the previous OS.  I'm working on a late 2013 Mac Pro, which can't be helped:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Opening from Finder seems to have worked for now. just did it, so we shall see...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problems on my new MacBook Pro M1. First reported in November 2021 and still existing? My work is down. Ande there is no cure. What am I missing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you swapped workspaces? Specifically to the Learning tab? The engineering team is aware of this issue and is working to resolve it. A workaround isn't ideal but that's no excuse to not do any work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer. This is my first question here and I didn't quite get the habit of correct answer to later findings. I get it though. I did indeed try the Learning Tab, although that was on a previous project. Now I activated another workspace and it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue with Windows 10 except NOW it happens no matter what AE version I roll back to. Character window change has no effect. The only thing that makes the menu accesible is unplugging my second monitor! Completely and incomprehensibly unaccpetable. Does Adobe actually test before rolling out new versions? Zero accountability or acknowledgement that we use this for work! We're not playing around here. I have a dealine to meet that's now compromised because Adobe has royally screwed up. 

Rolled back to a previous version I KNOW worked with second monitor and now that's corrupted. 

I would express myself more completely but the only thing forum mods pay attention to is bad language, not the issues being documented. 
Been using After Effects for almost 25 years. Have ALWAYS had a second monitor. Now I have to unplug it to use the software? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using any Windows display scaling features? (Not scaling within AE, actual OS display scaling). I've seen other issues where using native Windows display scaling at a setting other than 100% can break features in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No. It's at 100%. I rolled back to 23.0 and was able to plug my second monitor back in without it disabling AE and turned off auto updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines