M1 Ultra performance extremely disappointing - no faster than 2019 Intel MBP

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to an M1 Ultra Mac Studio from a 2019 Macbook Pro (Intel) in hopes of avoiding abysmally slow preview times and crippling UI lag. The results could not be more disappointing.

The M1 Ultra shows no performance advantage over the 2019 Intel whatsoever. Moreover, I encountered the very same UI lag within 10 minutes of using After Effects.

I uploaded a video to YouTube illustrating the problem. The description goes into detail. To repeat:

/ The comparison involves: M1 Ultra Mac Studio (128GB RAM, 20 cores) running After Effects (Beta) 22.6.0. 2019 Intel Macbook Pro (32GB RAM, 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9) running After Effects 18.4.1.

/ This is a 4K motion graphics project consisting of deeply nested comps containing a combination of hand-drawn 4K animation frames, vector graphics, masks, and very limited effects (mostly Set Matte for complex masking). Many nested layers have continuous rasterization enabled. The project contains no 3D layers or effects. No 3rd party effects were used.

I'm hoping that other M1 users or Adobe support can assist me in troubleshooting the slow RAM preview. I expected it to be at least three times faster on the M1 Ultra. I'm stunned at how closely it matches the 2019 Intel MBP.

Could this be a configuration issue? It's configured to use Mercury GPU Acceleration (Metal). The project was originally created in Adobe After Effects 2021 (18.4.1) if that helps. In addition to the latest beta, I've tried using the latest official version, 22.5.0, which I believe has native M1 support.

TOPICS
Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a common bug that hopefully Adobe will fix soon. Happens with most Macs when they should be powerful enough to run AE. In the new 22.5 update there was several Mac fixes, so make sure you update. https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/m1-mac-extremely-slow-solved-but-now-over-1...

I don't think the recent updates did much, because I still see a lot of Mac-related issues on the forums. Guess the new update didn't do that much 😕

~Jake

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines