you can see the play bottom is square shape and no motion appear

Untitled-2.jpg

TOPICS
Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

When I leave AE open and take a break, a lunch (or leave it open overnight ), when I come back and hit the spacebar, it will play it once without sound and when I stop it and try to play it again, it does nothing. I can scroll the timeline and it composition updates, but can't play it back anymore. When I purge all the cache and memory it cleans it up and it also caches/renders it internally (green bar fills up) but it won't play it. When I check "cache before playback" on Preview panel then it

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've said previously, it's best that you contact support, to have someone take a closer, hands-on look at your system and this includes taking a look at your OS settings and AE settings.

Meanwhile, when you say "no playback", exactly what happens when you initiate a Preview?

What happens in the Timeline, does the Preview Time Indicator (vertical red line) move across the timeline?

What happens in the Comp Panel?

Please take a screen grab of your Comp and Timeline Panels.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I leave AE open and take a break, a lunch (or leave it open overnight ), when I come back and hit the spacebar, it will play it once without sound and when I stop it and try to play it again, it does nothing. I can scroll the timeline and it composition updates, but can't play it back anymore. When I purge all the cache and memory it cleans it up and it also caches/renders it internally (green bar fills up) but it won't play it. When I check "cache before playback" on Preview panel then it time cursor will follow the caching process, but no way to really play it back in realtime with sound.

Restart always repairs it. My fellow animator next to me has the same issue.

Not really the dealbreaker type of thing, but kind of interrupts the flow every time it happens.

But, I figured it out

It seems to be an issue with audio hardware (and monitors connected with audio-supported cables). When I (1) removed external devices from windows audio settings and (2) changed audio hardware (File > Preferences > Audio Hardware) back to Speakers it started to playback my preview (AE needs restart to get the audio back though). (3) If you have headphones connected to the monitor audio output, then

This kind of explains the issue (and my situation after leaving AE open):

"When an audio-supported video cable is being used such as a DisplayPort or HDMI cable, Windows may change the default audio device to the audio-supported cable thinking another audio device is being used. The issue may be seen to occur when a portable is coming out of sleep as the system is detecting the audio-capable cable first."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue for a while now and Adobe can't do anything about it. I've had tons of customer service reps screen share and try and solve it but it never worked, just more and more unrelated invasive computer exploration. Adobe's customer service has a tendency to focus on the customer's tech and prowess over the actual defects of the software.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this is was actually the problem. Thank you Maido.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I faced the same problem, but for me I had to solve it a little bit differently. I went to the sync settings button in the top right hand corner, it has a gear and two arrows in it. Right click the icon and then select clear settings. Then just restart After Affects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an account just to say this - thank you so much Dallin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best solution ever! Thank You a lot!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yo shiiiie , thanks a lot i was gonna throw my laptop away thinking some hardware issue is there 
this helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I unplugged my 2nd and 3rd monitors and now the preview is working after restarting after effects. Thanks so much 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have spent all day on this issue as I'm doing a work project and have to get it done. Just logged in to say thanks for the quick solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are such a genius!

Thanks alot @_Maido_ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2019 Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post #18 & #31 #14 are exact useful solution for me.

I have same issue . After purge whole caches and switch audio hardware , it works perfectly.

My AE version is CC2019. The issue is continuously be reserved until 2019.

However, thanks to crewdev &_Maido_ & khadarshameer

Love u guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2019 Aug 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this :
Composition -> Preview -> Uncheck "Play Current Preview" 
It worked. Hope this can help u guy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a ridiculous thing to try. Make sure the stoopid eyeball is clicked in the preview window. See the yellow arrow.See the yellow arrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Where do I find that fukin thing? After effects is sooooo frustrating. Why can't they have a normal timeline with cut and play functions. I can't find the window you showed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this fixed it for me i just changed the audio hardware and it worked fine right after 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This sorted the issue for me immediately. Thinking I'll switch from HDMI to DisplayPort to avoid the issue. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou from 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching sudio output to speakers fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much ! worked on my PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem, i was not able to preview anything after i left running AE for few hours. I tried many thing including restart, finally came to this post and just turned off my bluetooth audio connection and vola it renders in a flash, WOW . btw i am using AE on MAC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works! I was connecting headphones to the monitor out minijack. But, disabled sound device (in this case the Benq Monitor) AND reboot Windows. The in AE go to prefs/ Audio Hardware and Audio Mapping. Now with headphones connected directly to the CPU the previews are OK with usual key 0 numpad. Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!! This worked for me! I didn't even have to restart AE, I just went to Edit > Preferences > Audio Hardware and changed my "Default Output" from my headphones to my laptop speakers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FINALLY! This worked! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines