• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audition's primary temp volume can't be found.

Advocate ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open Adobe Audition 2017 I get the following error message: Audition's primary temp volume cannot be found. Please review Audition's disk cache preferences." 

I go to the preferences and see an explanation point next to Primary Temp. I click browse and I am in the Document's folder in my Mac. From there I get lost.

Can anyone give me advice on how to correct this problem?

2017-03-26_15-20-04.jpg

2017-03-26_15-28-29.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Try opening Audition with the shift key held down. This will open it with 'vanillla' preferences. It worked for me. Solved the problem immediately and it created the folder in the RIGHT place.

[Mod note - before you do this you should also note carefully what ryclark has to say about it:

"If you use the 'Start Audition with the Shift key held down' option it will reset all Audition's settings to the default but you will, at the same time, lose any custom Favorites or Effects settings that you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select browse

Then create a temp folder somewhere on your drive and press ok

all done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am actually supposed to create the temp folder? Shouldn't that have been created when Audition was installed?

Do I create a temp folder for each recording or just once?

What does the temp folder hold?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should have been created but the one that is shown in your screen dump doesn't exist for some reason.

So you need to point Audition to another one - it can be anywhere and called anything but temp is a good name.

Why yours doesn't exist I can't say but you only need to do it once (or usually not at all unless there is a problem).

Not intending to be funny but it holds temporary files like undo files, history files (I presume) and other scratch files all  of which will vanish when you close Au or whenever Au doesn't need them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an Adobe Audition Temp Folder in my Document library on my Mac OS X computer. However, I believe it should be in the Library/Cache/Adobe folder, correct? I tried to select the Adobe folder from the preferences in Audition, but it would not allow me to select the Adobe folder.

Who knows...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if I were to uninstall Adobe Audition 2017... Would the Creative Cloud app allow me to reinstall it?

I probably accidentally deleted the file when I tried to clear out my cache library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling is a bit extreme.

Where the folder is is really irrelevant - remember you can set a primary and a secondary one - these should usually be on different drives for efficiency and responsiveness.

Accidentally deleting the folder will do it every time 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try opening Audition with the shift key held down. This will open it with 'vanillla' preferences. It worked for me. Solved the problem immediately and it created the folder in the RIGHT place.

[Mod note - before you do this you should also note carefully what ryclark has to say about it:

"If you use the 'Start Audition with the Shift key held down' option it will reset all Audition's settings to the default but you will, at the same time, lose any custom Favorites or Effects settings that you have made unless you make a backup of Audition's Settings Folder before you do the Shift Open option."]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks VERY much for this.

It now works perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric: Thanks for providing this tip. I've been seeing this same dialog box and I just ignored it. Now it's gone for good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric for the win!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @EricGreenspan

By the way, what do you mean by "vanilla preferences?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AnotherMe  wrote

By the way, what do you mean by "vanilla preferences?"

These are the default settings that Audition had when it was a clean install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, so is "vanilla preference" used across the board for all applications via a clean i install or just Audition.

My guess would be yes. But I can never be too careful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty much across the board, in my experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2017 May 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! But unfortunately it made me lose a bunch of presets in my effect rack I've made over the last couple of weeks. Is there any way to get them back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vanilla = default

Think base of an ice cream sundae.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarting audition while holding shift key did the trick! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dialogue states that the default folder will be used if the user assigned location is not available.

I would like, for the time being to reset the field where the custom cache location is entered and have it be empty or pointing at the original location. Is there a key sequence on my Mac that will clear the old entry so that the startup warning stops?

I don't see any option to reset the temp folder location to default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way as far as I understand is to manually browse to where you want your default 'temp folder' location to be. If you use the 'Start Audition with the Shift key held down' option it will reset all Audition's settings to the default but you will, at the same time, lose any custom Favorites or Effects settings that you have made unless you make a backup of Audition's Settings Folder before you do the Shift Open option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BRILLIANT.  Thanks. SO EASY!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I originally thought OMG, the easiest, fastest, most awesome resolution ever. But then I realized all my short cuts have been deleted.  Looks like I should have read ALL the replies! LOL Oy! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you're quite correct - it's not a trouble-free solution for a lot of people, and I think that this might perhaps be made a bit clearer - there are indeed consequences to starting with the shift key held down. I'll see if I can get the answer marked as 'correct' to reflect this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of us who started with shift key and lost presets, is there anyway to un-do that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This so-called easy "fix" did  not solve the problem AND wiped out all my presents. Should've read the entire thread, unreal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines