• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audition will load tracks, but will not play them

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can load tracks into audition, but when I try to play the tracks the cursor will not move and no audio will play. Anyone know what the problem could be?

TOPICS
Playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Invariably when this happens, it is because the transport has become disconnected from your sound device - that's the only reason that it stops. As several people have demonstrated, sometimes this is caused by a fault in the preferences folder that you can 'cure' by having Audition reset it. That really isn't the first thing you should check to cure this problem though,  simply because it will also reset any other preferences you have set up as well. So before trashing your preferences, it's alw

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This usually means that Audition can't connect with your soundcard. We will need to know a lot more information about your computer, operating system and soundcard before we can give any advice on what may be wrong. have you set up your Audio Hardware and Channel Mapping in Edit/Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with my Audition 3.0. It was working fine when I closed it just a few hours ago. My sessions load fine (I've tried both the current one I was editing and others that are complete).

The transport line does not move in either Multitrack or Edit modes. In Multitrack the cursor line changes from yellow dash to solid white but does not move and no sound. In Edit mode the transport line does not change from yellow dash, does not move and no audio. The Transport Play button changes to green. Sometimes it will stay green, sometimes it goes back to black after a few seconds.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and using the EMU 0202-USB external sound interface. I have the Audio Hardware Setup configured for this as the ASIO audio driver. I have checked the driver in Device Manager and it appears to be fine. I have re-installed the driver with no help. It is the latest driver available and was working fine.

I have not installed any programs, updates or otherwised changed anything on my computer. I will probably reload Audition if I can't find another solution. Seems to me Audition is having issues with the EMU. The EMU works fine for playback of other audio & video files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to check Audition's hardware setup, not the OS one at this stage. If Audition isn't set to use your device, then it simply won't start. This is the only known condition for the transport to fail - without this it's stunningly reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is why I am stuck. I've checked the Audio Hardware Settings and they are all correctly set to my EMU. The completed sessions that I load which have the original settings won't work nor will a new session work.

I've uninstalled and re-installed the audio drivers and changed the hardware settings to every possible alternative. I'm now running in the Windows Sound setting which does work. But I'd like to get the ASIO connection to my EMU working again.

Here is a screenshot of my original hardware settings. Thanks for the help!

Audition.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried changing the Audio Driver to one of the other options, such as Audition Windows Sound Driver temporarily to see if there is a change in behavior?  If you change it and the playhead moves, then change it back to the ASIO driver for your EMU device, does it fail to playback again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2012 Mar 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried this before I posted on the Adobe forum. I have since tried it a few more times with the same result. As soon as I go back to the EMU setting the transport line just turns white, does not move and there is no audio.

I find this very strange since the program has been working fine in this configuration since September of 2010 and I have changed nothing. I was editing a sound track, I left Audition to check my email and check a forum on the Internet (things I do just this way all day long). When I returned to Audition and clicked on the 'Play' transport button I found this issue.

Obviously something has changed. But I do not know what and I am still at a loss as to how it can be repaired. The only thing I have not tried that I know of is reloading Audition.

I am working in the Windows Sound Mode right now as I produce a daily radio program. But I'd like to get back to the EMU mode at some point.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try running chkdsh /r  .  You might have disk errors. This happend to me one, and it cleared CoolEdit. If it doesn't go through a normal exit, see the internet for steps to get it to exit normally.

[Mod note: please check dates on threads before replying to them. This one is 10+ years old...]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and solved it - but I had different origins to you - I'm on Mac 10.7.4 and Audition had failed transport after I used a Griffin iMIC with my laptop.

I reset the Audio Hardware preferences in Audition ( for which I needed the iMic plugged in, btw) to 'Built-In output'

The problem persisted until I realised I also needed to set the 'Master Clock' in that preferences pane to 'Out: ~Built In Output'

(I may have changed this when diddling about before.)

As soon as I made the change, I could hear the track playing back behind the pane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt McFaul wrote:

The problem persisted until I realised I also needed to set the 'Master Clock' in that preferences pane to 'Out: ~Built In Output'

As soon as I made the change, I could hear the track playing back behind the pane.

It won't be this - the OP already has the sync set to internal, which is the same thing.

But what isn't clear is whether she is trying to play these files in waveform view or multitrack. We can only see what the device settings for multitrack are, and not waveform. Strange as it may seem, you need to set this in both windows...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to fix by unplugging my USB webcam.  Looked like Audition was trying to output to it even if I changed in settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem. Audio file loads but will not play. Pressing space bar does nothing, using curser to "play" button does nothing. I am using a MACBook Pro with OS X 10.9.4. This doesn't happen all the time but when it does there seems to be no solution. Then all of a sudden it might start working. I've got all the hardware settings set to "built-in" input and output. Buffer set to 512 Sample rate 44100 and am using Adobe Audition CS5 for Mac.  I have also uninstalled and re-installed the program several times, booted & re-booted and anything else I can think of.

I love using Adobe Audition and have been doing so since the Cool-Edit days, but this is so frustrating...not dependable...I just don't know when it will happen or not. Often happens in the middle of an editing session.

Thank you and Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If neither the space bar nor play button do anything then Audition has lost it's connection with the Mac's audio device. So something else on the Mac must be stealing the audio driver away from Audition. Make sure that you are not running any other program that may try to send audio to the audio out and that might change the sample rate and/or bit depth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I am also encountering this problem have tried everything on this forum with no luck....

Any ideas?

Everything was working fine until a few days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok my co-worker just fixed this problem by plugging in logitech headphones then going to system preferences >> Sound >> output logitech headphones

Then back to Audition >> Edit>> Preferences>> Audio Hardware >> Output to the otehr option that was now available to select,

This seemed to fix the problem

We think what happened was those headphones had been plugged in whilst using ausacity and then pulled out and so the settings just needed to be figured.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You solved my problem. I normally work with Sony headphones. Lately I'd been working without them. When I plugged them in everything returned to normal. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just used this solution to fix my problem. .  Pugged in the headphones. .  Audition would play!. . 

While headphones were plugged in, went into Audition preferences and selected output device to speakers, instead of headphones ..  Audition would now play through speakers. . 

Then I could unplug the headphones - problem solved.

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same problem. I tried all of the forum's ideas and had no luck. The only thing that seemed to resolve my issue was when I went to EDIT (in Audition), then to PREFERENCES, then to MEDIA & DISC CACHE and added a second/backup location. Maybe there was too much CACHE/DATA in the original location. I'm not a comp tech but this resolved my problem. p.s. I set my DOCUMENTS folder on my computer as the 2nd location. I'm running Windows 7. Hope this helps musicians! Happy editing

INSTAGRAM: @djcristyle04

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2016 Oct 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is MY FIX, < Goto EDIT tab, <prefrences < Audio Hardware. Make it "playback" through the approximate channel. Your speakers are plugged into your monitor then select monitor, if its through your MoBo, then select that, if you have a soundcard added into your PC build then select that choice.

Q- Will load, no playback

P.s you will notice when you hit play that the icon lights up a green tint and the timeline indicator will not move, no sound obv.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS WORKED FOR ME!!!  THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2016 Oct 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, take the time to double check input devices as well, as if your dealing with this issue like myself you may have recently reformatted or changed OS'es, or maybe an audio update (guessing this one) reconfigured, orrrrrrrrrr maybe check your OS settings in hand with AA settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stumbled across this solution:

1. Close out of Audition

2. Restart Audition while holding down the shift key.

Basically this restores the default settings -- worked like a charm for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I stumbled across this solution:

1. Close out of Audition

2. Restart Audition while holding down the shift key.

Basically this restores the default settings -- worked like a charm for me."

Thank you.

I am on a MAC. This worked for me .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines