Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export via markers not possible

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The situation: a 50 minute live track of a band, in the multitrack view I have 2 stereo tracks with some effects.

I added a dozen range markers for the songs. in the Markers list they appear with correct start, end and duration. I named them after the songs. (the markers are Range markers, NOT point markers)

Then  when I select  all markers in the markers list, the option File->Export->Audio within range markers is still grayed out.

Also the 4th and 5th icon in the marker list stay gray ("insert selected range markers in playlist" and "export audio of selected ranges into separate files")

I know this should work, i did this before, but now it won't. I know back then i had to do an aditional action to activate the menu, but stupid me forgot to jot that down somewhere...

Can anyone give a hint?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Create a Mixdown first (Multitrack > Mixdown to New File)   The rendered file will contain the range markers and the File > Export > Audio within Range Markers  option will be enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a Mixdown first (Multitrack > Mixdown to New File)   The rendered file will contain the range markers and the File > Export > Audio within Range Markers  option will be enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oddly enough this still did not work for me. I did all you suggsted and my icon is still grayed out. The new mixdown did port over all the markers but shift selecting them all still doesn't activate the grayed out Export to seperate files icon. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am using Audition CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha! I found my answer... you need to first

1.) Mixdown to new Multitrack Session.

2.) Shift Select all markers.

3.)Merge Selected Markers (the comb looking icon).

THEN you can use the Export as Seperate Files button which will NOW be active. Doing above only ever gave me a grayed out Export to Seperate Files button.

Not for notihng but The Merge Selected Markers is really an odd name for that button because it makes it sound like you're going to collapse down to just ONE marker when you really don't and it merges the INS and OUTS into one file to export more or less.

Anyway I found part of my answer here>

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1247984

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2014 Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Merge Selected Markers has always been like this since it first appeared way back in Audition's history.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2014 Oct 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't what "merge" means though. Maybe they thought "concatenate" was too long? "Merge" means put several thingies into a single thingy. "Concatenate" means join them up (requires further config: hold start / hold end / % on a scale between the two). Sound Forge does it well, & also allows you to save a playlist or marker (region) list as text. (I've just reopened a job where I've lost my markers for some strange reason but cannot recover them from a text file, which would have been handy). SF also enables stripping of everything between regions to form a new, clean file. Very handy, & I'm still awaiting this in Audition.

I do like the colour scheme of the latest version though (2014.1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spamhunter wrote:

This isn't what "merge" means though. Maybe they thought "concatenate" was too long? "

'Merge' in this context refers to something very specific, and not directly related to the file at all. What is being 'merged' is two separate cues in the marker list into a single cue range. Strictly speaking this wouldn't concatenate any one result on its own, but you could certainly have concatenation as a result of doing this, if you arranged to eliminating anything between the resulting ranges in the audio file. Merge does seem to be the most appropriate word, under these specific circumstances

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use CueListTool to save out the marker ranges as a text file from an Audition .wav file. You can even use it to create a marker list from a text file and insert it into a .wav file which can then be opened in Audition with the markers showing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but... latest version 2004? Think I'll just keep my Sound Forge handy as it offers a bunch of other options too. Adobe could have built in this functionality as it is pretty simple, but I suppose there aren't enough of us that require it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spamhunter wrote:

Thanks, but... latest version 2004? Think I'll just keep my Sound Forge handy as it offers a bunch of other options too. Adobe could have built in this functionality as it is pretty simple, but I suppose there aren't enough of us that require it.

Yes, the latest version is 2004, but it works!

There seems to be an assumption here that anything "older than yesterday" is now obsolete!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2016 Feb 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very pleased to update for anyone else looking for this function, that Adobe have added the option to export & import Audition markers as .csv files. Makes dubbing & voice syncing so much easier, as well as all the ancillary project management such as timing calculations for translation criteria etc.

I do still have a problem with video playback delayed by 0.35 seconds (for .vob/.mpg files) but addressed in another post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2016 Feb 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite sure why this thread has suddenly resurrected. General.failure's posts were from nearly 4 years ago and Spamhunter's to 2014. Audition has moved on several versions since then and, as Newone2 notes, Marker Import/Export is now an included feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And for those using the labs we were born with? IE CS6?  There's a way to create the markers and capture them in a picture file.  If you can leave the interface a light grey, and screenshot your markers, you might, and I emphasize might, be able to OCR them.  Create a photoshop action to turn the image BW, burning the blues and blacks into a dark black, and raising the contrast.  Then OCR your image.  It may work, it may not.  I don't know why, but sometimes I get it to work, others it just wont.  Whatever the case, there's no XML access to the audio files' markers in audition.  You'll have to find it by dumping a file's metadata, and there are few programs with the capability to read each other's tags from audio files.  Something to do with offsets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds a bit like contortionist semantics to defend a definition that was erroneous to begin with, but I'll let Adobe have it out with the OED.

Thanks for the reply. I don't agree but I'm not going to change anything from my little corner of the planet & I do have other fish to fry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! I was looking for a solution days ago... the UI is not very friendly, I am glad you figured it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cuelist Tool can always be used to extract modify or save marker info from within Audition's .wav files, or any other for that matter.

CueListTool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cuelist tool only works for a single WAV file, not across a multitrack session.  But nice work on the find.

I still find the CSV export the best.  You can match your timecode readout for sending out to other editors, and you can even drop them out so you can align the audio with different video framerates.  I can recreate the markers easily enough in other apps just with a copy and paste.

Once you've got a WAV file, you're right, cuelilst Tool is a great option, but for the most part, it's becoming obsolete.  Great find though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the answer, it worked, but what a stupid way of working :))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

_durin_ this is indeed a working method, thank you for the real quick answer!!

However I have some complaint to the way Adobe makes user interfaces: In a lot of places in all kinds of Adobe software I find these disabled features. Only with a lot of googling and with friendly help of forum readers it becomes clear what causes the disabled item.

Of course the software is made for proffessionals and not for dummies, but still, even a proffessional once in a while has to jump into new software, and these two hours of stumbling costs a lot of money.

I am a software developer myself and i know there are multiple ways to let the user know why an option is not enabled:

- don't disable the menu item but show a inforamative messagebox when a function is not possible

- a tooltip/balloon when hoovering the disabled item, showing the reason of the reject

- a statusbar message when hoovering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  This was less of an issue with Audition 3 and before since the multitrack and edit views were completely separate.  In the era of diminishing/dynamic documentation, better menu and command layout becomes more crucial than ever.  I'll share your comments with the team.

Durin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also wasted a lot of time for the same reason by trying to follow the poor documentation here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/audition/using/markers.html#working_with_markers

Please add that you must first mixdown to export marker-defined audio. Not sure why this wasn't done after being reported over four months ago by general.failure in the above post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2014 May 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just found this thread, having the same issue. Only thing is, I am not done mixing, but i want to split this very large file into 15 smaller files to then refine the mix on each one.

If markers are not the way to do this, how can I accomplish this task? I have 24 ninety minute files that I have applied my basic effects and panning to, but due to the size, everything takes waaaaay too long because my PC is slow. I have created the range markers that are each song. But still can't find a way to just cut across the multitrack view and retain the settings, creating 15 multitrack files.

Any hope?

thanks,

joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2014 Sep 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys.  I've written my steps below and posted a video.

How to export separate audio files from Adobe Audition - YouTube

1. Create a new File under top menu New then Multitrack Session

2. Import your .mp3 or .wav audio file or record you audio track

3. Drag your audio file from File window to Track 1

4. Locate the Markers window (panel) from Window then select Markers

5. In the top play range (scrubber) add a new marker by selecting M or use icon on marker window

6. Right click to convert to range marker, drag ends to create the range

7. Create, convert to range, then drag ends for as many mark ranges as you need

8. Select all markers then merge selected markers using comb icon (3rd from left) in Marker panel

9. Under top menu under Multitrack then to Mixdown Session to new File then Entire Session

10. In this Mixdown file, you can edit your clips and add effects or delete dead space

11. Shift select all marker ranges in that session

12. Export audio to separate files using 5th icon from left in marker window

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read through this thread and the question seems to boil down into one misleadingly named button in Audition. Namely:

Merge Selected Markers -button

As you see, this button does not actually merge anything. What it does is it converts the markers into range markers. When done, it is possible to use rangers in multitrack session or export them as separate files.

So to accomplish this task one should:

1. Select all relevant markers in markers panel.

2. Press 'Merge Selected Markers' button.

3. Make sure all the relevant markers, now converted to ranges, are selected for exporting.

4. Press the now enabled 'Export audio of selected range markers to separate files' button.

I spent like 4 hours figuring this out, when the answer was on my fingertips all the time. This is really bad logic and Adobe should pay attention to this.

Source: Marking up time in Audition CS6

Recommended reading!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines